Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magazine Fort, Phoenix Park

Options
  • 06-02-2012 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Going round in circles with this one... Arthur Crossley is my greatx6grandfather.

Full text of "Descent and alliances of Croslegh, or Crossle

{1766-1844,)

Arthur Crossley, Chief Constable, R.LC./' (bap. 8th Dec, 1766, d. at
    Elphin, Co Roscommon, in 1844), m. Catherine, dau. of Capt. Ratclifle, Gov. of the Magazine Fort, Phoenix Park, Dublin, and had issue, three ss. and
    five daus. : —

The person I'm trying to track down is Capt. Ratcliffe, whose daughter Crossley is supposed to have married. Lots of info on the Magazine Fort but don't know where to start with Ratcliffe, so any ideas would be great! Have trawled all the military websites, nothing there....where should I look next? I have no marriage date for Catherine & Arthur, and I don't know where they got married, one of their sons was born 1797, so marriage would have been around that time perhaps. Would the marriage cert give me any more information tho? As you can see, I'm quite new to this genealogy lark, but totally hooked and wont' rest til I find this man. Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Military records may also exist.

Any source is likely to throw up some unofrmation and/or confirm informaiton you already have with relative certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wilko1984uk

I know its a little late but some friends "let ourselves into" the Magazine Fort about two years ago, the three gates are equally tricky to overcome(my jacket was ripped to shreds on our first attempt) and although our search for the passage leading to the railway tunnel under Phoenix Park was unsuccesful.. we did come across NEW steel doors on what we believe to be old not so empty stores. They were across the metal bridge in the middle of the fort, on the left and behind some derelict buildings. Raising questions such as why the Department of Defence still own it, what purpose does it serve, why put new doors and a roof on only one building?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

although our search for the passage leading to the railway tunnel under Phoenix Park was unsuccesful.
    no such tunnel exists. Who would dig a tunnel under a magazine, thereby compromising it? :rolleyes:

The fort and the tunnel are about 900 metres apart. http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,712524,734507,6,3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The tunnel urban legend gets an airing yet again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

There is a tunnel that runs along the edge of the Phoenix Park somewhere between Garda Headquarters and the North Circular road that is part of the link between Heusten Station and Connolly Station. It's not a secret tunnel in the Famous Five go exploring context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    There is a tunnel that runs along the edge of the Phoenix Park somewhere between Garda Headquarters and the North Circular road that is part of the link between Heusten Station and Connolly Station. It's not a secret tunnel in the Famous Five go exploring context.

That's the railway tunnel, that exists alright. Clearly visible on Osimapviewer. It's the persistant belief in a tunnel for personnel from the Magazine Fort to the rail tunnel (incorporating an Underground style secret station depending on who's doing the telling) that's a load of old horse poo-poo.

Advertisement