Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lothian and Borders Police Recruiting NOW

Options
  • 06-02-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hey lads,

I know they're recruiting at the minute for Lothian and Borders Police, just a few questions if anyone has any advice or experience with this.

I'm Irish, lived in Ireland all my life, but moving to Edinburgh in the next month or two. Police is something I want to do, it's the career I know I want, but under their eligibility criteria I "must have lived and worked in the UK for 3 years before applying".. I was wondering if there's any way around this at all? It seems a bit brutal considering we're so close. Has anyone had any experience with Lothian and Borders police recruitment? Also, I hold a Full clean Irish Driving License, they state they require a full manual UK license. Does anybody know if the Irish license is accepted as the equivalent for this?

I've just heard a few whispers that people have gotten round the whole living in the UK for 3 years before applying, I just don't want to apply and have them look negatively on it if I haven't met the minimum requirements, don't want to ruin any future chances.

Any help appreciated..

Thanks

Dave...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭B2deF

I'm in the same boat as you I have been in Ireland my whole life but want to move to the UK to join the police. I was just about to apply for this police force before I seen this thread.

I don't know how we will get around the 3 years residance they need.

I don't understand how they can descriminate against us as we are EU citizens and we can work in the UK.

With regards to the driving license I know you can hand over your Irish license and get a UK license easily. All EU countries are permitted to exchange driver licenses.

Keep me updated on how you are getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭innercitydub2

You can chance it , but the most likley outcome is that its going to be refused, still though, you should apply as theres always that chance it can get waivered, but just to keep you grounded a bit heres my circumstances and i still could not be eligible.

First off im a Garda Reserve, which i i thought may have giving me some type of regonition.

Secondly i am a british citzen, lived in scotland for 3 years playing pro football, and with northern ireland under age teams

My application i was told eveing though i was a british citzen was not eligble as i had not been living 3 years in scotland prior to applying.

They said my GR experince would only be counted if i was living 3 years prior in uk before applying.

Just so frustrating, this residency rule sure is a kick in the ....

Good luck anyways
    djor88 wrote: »
    Hey lads,

I know they're recruiting at the minute for Lothian and Borders Police, just a few questions if anyone has any advice or experience with this.

I'm Irish, lived in Ireland all my life, but moving to Edinburgh in the next month or two. Police is something I want to do, it's the career I know I want, but under their eligibility criteria I "must have lived and worked in the UK for 3 years before applying".. I was wondering if there's any way around this at all? It seems a bit brutal considering we're so close. Has anyone had any experience with Lothian and Borders police recruitment? Also, I hold a Full clean Irish Driving License, they state they require a full manual UK license. Does anybody know if the Irish license is accepted as the equivalent for this?

I've just heard a few whispers that people have gotten round the whole living in the UK for 3 years before applying, I just don't want to apply and have them look negatively on it if I haven't met the minimum requirements, don't want to ruin any future chances.

Any help appreciated..

Thanks

Dave...

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Cheers for the replies lads, brutal alright!

I think it's a bit much, 3 years is a long time, I might send an application anyway, see what happens, I'm planning to move to Edinburgh around April/May anyway, see what happens.

I'm currently in the process of selection for the Garda Reserve, meeting with the Super in my local station tonight, but the fact that I may be moving to Scotland in the summer has things a bit all over the place. We'll see what happens, I may as well go through the stages, If it comes to me moving to Scotland for college etc, I'm sure they'll understand that..

Any whispers on Garda full time recruitment?

Is it the same case in all UK police forces? Or could we just join the Essex police? I know there is a whisper they are recruiting in March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

B2deF wrote: »
    Is it the same case in all UK police forces? Or could we just join the Essex police? I know there is a whisper they are recruiting in March.

All UK forces have the residency requirement , the only exception being the PSNI which permits residents of the Republic of Ireland to apply , otherwise I'm afraid you have to have lived 3 year immediately prior to applying in the UK.
    Ignore those who suggest that time spent in countries like Canada or Australia count as UK because they are Commonwealth countries - they are wrong.

• Advertisement

I just got off the phone with a representative of Lothian and Borders Police, she said that they are strict on the 3 years residency in the UK requirement. She was agreeing with me saying it was a bit ridiculous, considering culture and law is pretty similar, she said because the Scottish Forces will be merging into one national force next year, they may be getting rid of this, so to keep our eyes peeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

she said because the Scottish Forces will be merging into one national force next year, they may be getting rid of this, so to keep our eyes peeled.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The 3 year residency rule is to facilitate vetting and is standard across all UK Constabularies except PSNI.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The 3 year residency rule is to facilitate vetting and is standard across all UK Constabularies except PSNI.

I disagree with you there. It is not a requirement in the recent Durham police recruitment drive. The only residency rule was that you needed to be a EEC citizen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I disagree with you there. It is not a requirement in the recent Durham police recruitment drive. The only residency rule was that you needed to be a EEC citizen

I will guarantee you that they have simply failed to mention it on their paperwork and I guarantee that anyone filling in vetting forms will get a PFO if they do not have 3 years UK residency.
    As casey said - residency rule is a UK wide requirement and only the PSNI have a derogation from it.

you must be either a British Citizen, a citizen of the EU or other states in the EEA, or a Commonwealth citizen or foreign national with indefinite leave to remain in the UK

http://policerecruitment.homeoffice.gov.uk/police-officer/am-i-eligible/index.html

• Advertisement

That website has taken the info from policecouldyou, which has not been updated in nearly 10 years. Durham is no different from ANY OTHER Constabulary and is subject to a three year residency requirement. The reasoning for this has already been stated.

Yes you can apply as an Irish citizen, there are loads of Irish serving throughout the UK, however you will need to be living in-country for 3 years immediately prior to your application. This was introduced post 7/7.

Any way to get around this?

So disappointing to hear this.

B2deF,

No, unfortunately it doesn't look like there's any way around this. I called the Lothian and Borders Police Recruitment line a few weeks ago, spoke to a very helpful officer, she thought it was ridiculous that I couldn't apply, but she says that they are strict and it would be pointless sending an application... Glasgow is different, this can be waived in some cases, once they can get a background check done on you easily enough, so Im sure this could be done... Not sure if they're recruiting currently though.

Look up Strathclyde Police, covers Glasgow and surrounding areas, this is taken directly from their website,

Only applications from British citizens, EU/EEA nationals, Commonwealth citizens, or foreign nationals with indefinite leave to remain in the UK will be accepted. You should also have been resident in the UK for a minimum of three years immediately prior to application. In certain circumstances it is possible for a minimum residency period for vetting to be waived. However this can only be done where it is possible to make, or confirm, in the relevant jurisdictions with Law Enforcement and National Security bodies, which are equivalent, and of a similar standard, to enquiries which would be made in the UK, on both the applicant and all family members and associates. In cases where it is not possible to make the equivalent checks, the residency criterion will be stringently enforced.

Any way to get around this?

So disappointing to hear this.

Appreciate how frustrating it is but to be honest right now there are literally hundreds of thousands of people waiting for Police Officer vacancies in the UK and Forces are under massive pressure to cut costs, so you have to be realistic as to whether they will go out of their way for candidates from outside the jurisdiction when they have ample candidates nationally.

Take a look at this:

More than 200,000 people have called a police recruitment hotline to inquire about 60 jobs.

North Yorkshire Police's phone line crashed on Monday, the first day of a campaign to recruit officers, when it received 20,000 calls. A new number was issued and more than 200,000 people have since called. The line is open between 1700 and 2000 GMT. The force, which employs about 1,500 officers, said the number of calls it had received was "incredible".

The demand was so great that senior officers, including Chief Constable Grahame Maxwell, Deputy Chief Constable Adam Briggs and Assistant Chief Constable Sue Cross, decided to chip in and take some calls.

Mr Briggs said: "We have had an incredible response to the recruitment campaign and it was nice to be able get involved and lend a hand. I am very pleased to say that despite this massive number of calls there was no effect on the frontline services we provide."

Despite Monday's technical problems, Deputy Chief Constable Adam Briggs said: "Response to 999 calls and routine operational calls has not, and will not, be affected."

Staff from the force's IT department worked with BT to ensure that Monday's technical problems were not repeated. A force spokesman said: "Regrettably, unforeseen technical difficulties occurred as a result of this unprecedented overwhelming demand. Working in conjunction with partners, North Yorkshire Police has implemented an alternative telephone number which applicants are now requested to dial. This is 0300 123 9020."
    Don't give up hope, but in these austere times where recruitment is minimal, be realistic.

Look up Strathclyde Police, covers Glasgow and surrounding areas, this is taken directly from their website,

Only applications from British citizens, EU/EEA nationals, Commonwealth citizens, or foreign nationals with indefinite leave to remain in the UK will be accepted. You should also have been resident in the UK for a minimum of three years immediately prior to application. In certain circumstances it is possible for a minimum residency period for vetting to be waived. However this can only be done where it is possible to make, or confirm, in the relevant jurisdictions with Law Enforcement and National Security bodies, which are equivalent, and of a similar standard, to enquiries which would be made in the UK, on both the applicant and all family members and associates. In cases where it is not possible to make the equivalent checks, the residency criterion will be stringently enforced.

Where is that taken from? I have already been garda vetted for the garda reserves so fancy my chances applying for anywhere that goes down that route.

Where is that taken from? I have already been garda vetted for the garda reserves so fancy my chances applying for anywhere that goes down that route.

http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/recruitment/Police_Officers/What_We're_Looking_For/

Thanks I am looking into applying for this right now.

Advertisement