Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I sing Rock/Metal?

Options
  • 06-02-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm very much into Rock/Metal music myself but my voice isn't a rock voice nor it has a groove. I can only cheat my way and do Rock/Indie trippy type. Here is a sample >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk-1GXnrRdQ.

I'm based in Cork, and also looking for a band if someone wants to try something new.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fmurr34

Just sing whatever works. Personally I think untrained voices are better for a gritty, bad ass sort of hard rock or metal sound sound (as long as you don't sound like a whale dying) . Although if you want to hit the really high notes like Freddie or Marriott, you may be better off getting someone to help train your voice I suppose.

You've got an American/Canadian twang.
    Try to sing in your own accent.

It gets a little nasal-y/whiny when you break into the chorus.

Training will help you on your stamina. I think you lose it a little at the end and becomes too whiny for my liking.

You can carry a tune, but it needs work. And I have heard worse performing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gwen16

Cheers, I'm currently training my voice and I have a weird accent even when I speak naturally, I'm french but grew up In Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xyl.az

You would not believe to what extent voice can be trained...

Keep singing, the more the better, the louder the better, try whatever you think might work, then after a year or two you will start to notice the difference.

In my opinion, training makes about 90% of your vocal capabilities.

You can also try to get some singing lessons from the teacher, that usually is a great help too as they can learn you how to manage your breathing effectively.

Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

go for it op, if you have the confidence to post a clip you should be fine.

I have a friend with a good voice but no confidence, if we pick up guitars after a few beers he can sometimes forget himself and belt out a cracking vocal but that is all too rare.

@xyl.az would you think anyone could be trained to sing passably, albeit in a limited range?
    Thinking of myself, not a singer at all but would work at it if there was any hope :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xyl.az

@xyl.az would you think anyone could be trained to sing passably, albeit in a limited range?
    Thinking of myself, not a singer at all but would work at it if there was any hope :o

Yeah definitely, it's just it takes some time so don't expect the results very quickly :)

Its like bodybuilding, you need to physically train all the muscles that are responsible for the voice. First stage is to strengthen them enough so you can sing for about 1-2 hours daily without hurting your throat. This itself will take couple of months for an average non trained person.

I'd say it takes about 1 year to build a nice vocal without any external help. Just sing & record > listen > sing & record again etc. At the beginning try to find a song that is relatively easy for your vocal range and record it again and again until you can do it without any errors, then go to another song... etc.,

Keep in mind that at the beginning it won't be pretty :) But give it about 1-2 months and you should be able to hear the difference (keep the copies of old records!)

And always sing with the headset on so you can monitor your own voice - that helps alot too. Play music on the loud speakers but route the mic directly to the headset.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Gwen16

Yeah when I started it was horrible :D If I can do it, I believe anyone can given the time. Some people can scream there way through but I know I cant so I need to train my voice so it sounds nice.

And I do the same with the headset but I also sing without them so I can memorize the notes I'm singing and sing them in front of people :)

Advertisement