Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation?

Options
  • 06-02-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi Guys,can anybody translate this into Irish.Thanks

"Come out from under the table"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Tar amach ó faoin tábla.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

"ó faoi" sounds a bit stilted. I'd just say "Tar amach faoin mbord ansin". (Just to make it sound more conversational.) The "amach" implies movement, as opposed to something being stationary "under" the table.

I remember a seanchaí using "amach as faoi"...I'll try to dig up the story to give the full context.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Back9bandit

that translates as" come out under the table now".

As far as I know, you cant translate " come out from under the table" directly into irish. It has to be "Ta tu faoin mbord, tar amach". I'm open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

"Ansin" means "there". As in "come out from under the table there". I said it was to be more conversational.

The Irish for "now" is "anois". I don't know why you are correcting what I wrote, seeing as you asked the question in the first place, and clearly aren't very sure about how to use the language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

As far as I know, you cant translate " come out from under the table" directly into irish. It has to be "Ta tu faoin mbord, tar amach". I'm open to correction
    I think that there is no good translation for the sentence. It's simply doesn't fit with the way the Irish language works, with the worldview that is encapsulated in the language. After discussion with somebody whose Irish is less rusty than mine, we settled on "Amach leat, a dheabhail". We take it that the person to whom the instruction is addressed knows where he is, and that there is no need to tell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Back9bandit

Aard, what is the irish for come down of your high horse and answer the fecking question as asked, I didnt ask for your opinion,I asked for a direct translation. i knew before i asked, that there was no direct translation so which one of us knows the landuage better? P. Breathnach, thanks for your input, you are 100% correct

I hav'nt been able to find that story yet but I remember the seanchaí say "tar amach as faoin tábla" and the debate that followed with Gaeilgeóirí about this very point. 'Tar amach as sin' is often heard but if you were to tell children to come out from (hiding) under the table, you'd be letting them know that you were aware of there whereabouts so you would say it in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 treass

go'mach faoin mbord would have been said in my house...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

treass wrote: »
    go'mach faoin mbord would have been said in my house...
    "Tusa faoin mbord, gabh 'mach as sin"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Would - amach leat! - be sufficient? (that's what I have in the children's game Fathach mor bui - with fadas on the 'o' and the 'i')

franc 91 wrote: »
    Would - amach leat! - be sufficient? (that's what I have in the children's game Fathach mor bui - with fadas on the 'o' and the 'i')
    'Twould. But "gabh amach" is also good.

deirdremf wrote: »
    "Tusa faoin mbord, gabh 'mach as sin"
    I think we have a winner!

It's not a literal translation, because English and Irish don't necessarily make for ready literal translations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I'm just wondering - amach leat - and - gabh amach - would that be a different use of dialect? (amach leat being Munster)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

franc 91 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering - amach leat - and - gabh amach - would that be a different use of dialect? (amach leat being Munster)

Yes, you could also say "amach leat as sin".
    I think we have a winner!

It's not a literal translation, because English and Irish don't necessarily make for ready literal translations.
    I think you're being too generous to me PB. My translation has a strong feeling of compulsion to it, while the English original could be spoken in either a pleasant or a harsh way.
    Maybe if you said "A Chaoimhe, gabh amach as sin", i.e. using the person's name, it could be said both ways, but even then, I'd be doubtful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Aard, what is the irish for come down of your high horse and answer the fecking question as asked, I didnt ask for your opinion,I asked for a direct translation. i knew before i asked, that there was no direct translation so which one of us knows the landuage better?

Cé a sheas ar do ladhar? You were wrong to say ansin means now. He corrected it, no problem. He also gave you an answer to the question you asked, which seems to be more than you deserve.

I mentioned earlier that I was trying to find in print where a seanchaí had years ago used "amach as faoi", well while I did'nt come across that yet, I have found 2 other sources.
    "Caisleáin Óir" by the prolific writer and native speaker Séamus Ó Grianna has in chapter 11 a description of the moon coming out from under a cloud. "Níor luaithe a ceann amuigh as faoi néal aici ná bhí sí ina rith isteach faoi cheann eile".
    A 90 year-old native speaker told me that she would say "tar aniar as faoin tábla".

Advertisement