Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zoned heating problem

Options
  • 06-02-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

HI All,

I have a a 3 zone heating system.
    The problem is when zone 1 or 2 are turned on they are also heating the hot water which prevents the radiators from heating up properly.(only getting mildly warm & other not heating at all especially up stairs)

However when I manually turn off the valve which allows the hot water to heat up, The radiators for both zone 1 & 2 get nice and hot

Zone 1 = down stairs
    Zone 2 = up stairs
    Zone 3 = hot water

Any help appreciated, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Sounds like it is just wired up incorrectly.
    You will need to get an electrician to sort this for you.

The electric valves seem to be wired onto the zone 1 and 2 terminals as well.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 robbiebrazil

Thanks Mike2006, Is this a problem that can be easily/Cheaply corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Sounds like you need to reduce the balancing valve on the return side of the cylinder, this should have been set up on commisioning and then the head removed to prevent it being moved accidentally.

Thanks Billy I'll check it out this evening.

Check out the last bit of this clip........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUWbxccVDpc

• Advertisement

Thanks again Billy, HOw do I know which valve in the hot press is the correct one to adjust? there are several.

Turn on the heating, On the side of the cylinder locate the hot pipe taking water from the boiler into the cylinder, directly below there should be the return pipe, the pipe that takes the cooler water back to the boiler, on that there should be a gate valve.

Turn on the heating, On the side of the cylinder locate the hot pipe taking water from the boiler into the cylinder, directly below there should be the return pipe, the pipe that takes the cooler water back to the boiler, on that there should be a gate valve.

Hi Billy,

Quick question How will reducing the balancing valve prevent the water tank from heating when turn on zone 1 or 2.

Thanks.

However when I manually turn off the valve which allows the hot water to heat up, The radiators for both zone 1 & 2 get nice and hot

When you restrict the flow to the hot water the rads get nice and toasty.

Your hot water on with the rads is another issue, maybe its wired to give priority hot water, is the zone valve3 open?

Thanks for the quick response, I'll give it a try & see how it goes... I've no idea how to check it if zone valve3 open - Any advice would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement