Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC main event rematch May happen**obvious spoiler

Options
  • 06-02-2012 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

Saturday night Carlos Condit fought Nick Diaz for the UFC Welterweight Interim title, and the right to fight former champion Georges St. Pierre when he returns from knee surgery. However, GSP is not expected to be ready to fight until November, so what will Condit do until then?

There is a recent history of immediate rematches in the UFC. When BJ Penn narrowly lost his title to Frankie Edgar at UFC 112, an immediate rematch was held. So too when Lyoto Machida retained his title over Mauricio Rua at UFC 112.

The same thing could happen with Diaz vs. Condit.

"I know (Georges St. Pierre) wanted that Diaz fight bad, but it's not going to be Diaz," said UFC President Dana White at the post fight press conference. "So he better get angry with Carlos Condit or focus on Carlos Condit or whatever he needs to do.

"Carlos Condit won this fight. No matter how much Georges and Nick hate each other, Carlos Condit won, and I think the fans are mad at the way Carlos Condit fought. Too f
    bad. He came in with a game plan and stuck to it and won."

"It's crazy, but, I was thinking it after the fight. You know, people are bitching and thinking it was close or whatever, we can do that fight again before GSP comes back. It depends on Carlos too, he's really gotta say, and Nick's gotta say I want to fight him again too."

Dana looked really pissed at the post fight presser, as if his golden goose just got killed.

I reckon GSP might have alot to do with this also

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

****e if it happens. Best man won on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bullsh!t really. Only being thrown around cause Diaz threw a hissy fit.
    If the decision went the otherway this wouldnt even be considered

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I see no reason why there should be a rematch. Diaz did nothing to show he could be arsed even trying to beat Condit first time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

there can be no argument over the result. i think diaz was found out in this fight. condit was probably the first quality opponent he faced in the last 3-4 years. it will be interesting to see if diaz learns from this loss and becomes more tactically aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

garhjw wrote: »
    there can be no argument over the result. i think diaz was found out in this fight. condit was probably the first quality opponent he faced in the last 3-4 years. it will be interesting to see if diaz learns from this loss and becomes more tactically aware.

In fairness his last fight was against BJ Penn, who's no slouch, and he ripped straight through him. Granted it wasn't the BJ of old but still a nice scalp to have none the less.

But I do agree, there definitely shouldn't be a rematch.

• Advertisement

garhjw wrote: »

While I agree with most of what you said about the fight, BJ Penn and Paul Daley are quality opponents (although, i do feel BJwould've beat him had he bothered to train and was able to keep up his form from round 1).

Diaz is much much more talented than he lets himself be. At the end of Round 2 when he realised that Condit had his sussed, he should've had a plan B to go to, possibly dragging him into a ground battle which Nick would've been able to control.

Instead, he does that with 1 minute to go in the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

I know it's a bit of topic but do espn still have UFC haven't watched it in a while and heard fox was buying it and it wasnt gonna he shown in ireland

I know it's a bit of topic but do espn still have UFC haven't watched it in a while and heard fox was buying it and it wasnt gonna he shown in ireland

The ppv numbered events are still shown on ESPN for now and the other events are shown on FX over here.

Dean09 wrote: »
    The ppv numbered events are still shown on ESPN for now and the other events are shown on FX over here.

And it will be that way until August at the least.

I for one hope it moves elsewhere because if it does there's more chance of us getting the Pre-lims specials on tv

MrStuffins wrote: »
    And it will be that way until August at the least.

I for one hope it moves elsewhere because if it does there's more chance of us getting the Pre-lims specials on tv

As long as it doesn't move to Sky Sports because I don't have it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Correct idea from Carlos' camp
    Condit Camp Responds | Carlos Won The Fight, We Are Not Interested In A Rematch

“At this point, [a rematch] is not something we’re looking to do. We’re looking for Georges. People forget, Carlos waited a long time to get this fight. He was moved around, and shuffled around between fights. He won the fight. It doesn’t interest us at all. I think clearly and decisively, he won the fight. Even [UFC president] Dana [White] scored it for him. All of the opinions that matter scored Carlos as winner… It was a performance that was excellent. He picked apart a very formidable fighter…”

Manager to Carlos Condit, Malki Kawa, says that their camp is not interested in a rematch with Nick Diaz.

Despite his critics, they believe Carlos decisively won the fight and they will now focus their energy on a title unification bout with GSP.
    bjpenn.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Dean09 wrote: »

Fx ?? Didn't know that I don't mind if it goes to sky sports I have that and get all ppv events just don't want it goin somewhere I can't watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

i should have added that i don't think diaz fought bj anywhere near his prime or even that interested in fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

In fairness his last fight was against BJ Penn, who's no slouch, and he ripped straight through him. Granted it wasn't the BJ of old but still a nice scalp to have none the less.

To be fair BJ gassed after the first round. He could barely defend himself tauting Diaz to hit him and Diaz couldn't finish him.

Advertisement