Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 06-02-2012 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭

I am wondering if any of the readers of this forum might know of any legal or bureaucratic reason why a hypothetical Irish citizen who had recently attained Australian citizenship might then be required to leave that country for a period of one year before returning to Australia indefinitely.

Hope that question is clear and thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Is there any reason an irish citizen would have to leave Ireland for a year?

I should add my estimation of you for digging into this is not high.

There is no reason an Aus citizen would have to leave Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Op as I mentioned in the last post there is no legal reason why an Australian citizen has to leave Oz.

If your friend has his own reasons and does not want to share that with you, why not leave it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I think he was and I may be wrong about this but I think he was involved in an elaborate bank heist that went wrong and had to lay low for some time back in Ireland having hidden the loot in a secret location. He then found out that one by one all his fellow bank robbers have started turned up dead. The computer hacker who used his skills to record a looped playback of the banks security cameras was found knifed to death. The Asian master gymnast and contortionist was found face down in a hotel pool. But it was the death of his on again off again love interest and femme-fatale that made up his mind that it was time for him to return and figure out just what was going on before he was next!!!

How the hell would we know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

I have reasons but I'd like to keep it general because if I go into specifics I'll only once more be incorrectly accused of courting speculation again (and worse inviting irrelevant replies such as 'homesickness' or 'not fitting in' as explanations).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Are you sure he is a Citizen?

Quote from your previous thread
    I know for example that an Irish person seeking Aussie citizenship is required to leave the country for a number of days and come back in (or at least that's what told me, so that could be total b/s! ). For this purpose he said he'd spent a few days in NZ doing nothing more than killing time before coming back to Sydney.

First of all that's bull there is no requirement to leave Australia to be granted Citizenship (it's the exact opposite in fact), I think you are confusing Permanent residence with citizenship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

OP, you described your friend as a bit strange (Walter Mitty type) on other thread yet you are the one trying to figure out his (private) motivation for moving home on an internet forum. If he had wanted to tell you he would have. Is your motivation for this anything other than nosiness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Underdraft wrote: »
    I have reasons but I'd like to keep it general because if I go into specifics I'll only once more be incorrectly accused of courting speculation again (and worse inviting irrelevant replies such as 'homesickness' or 'not fitting in' as explanations).

How on earth could you be incorrectly accused of courting speculation?

You are asking us to speculate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'll have a go based on the basic information you've provided so far.

Maybe whenever you were around him he was miserable and you in deluded machinations believed it had to be anything else but related to you. He doesn't keep in touch as he can't think of a reason to.

Sound plausible?

All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually right.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

The only thing I can see is that it is really none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Bet he got a 1 year WHV for Ireland....Problem solved!!!

Or maybe he had a warrent out for his arrest and it was only valid for 1 year....maybe..:confused:

Why you so eager to find out...?

• Advertisement
Advertisement