Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeighCutting Reasons

Options
  • 05-02-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭

Guys

Something i really can't get my head around, maybe some of ya could help me.

A fighter who walks around at maybe 210-230 will fight as 185, why is this??

Surely it would be more beneficial for him to fight at 205, meaning less of a weight cut and less chance of gassing and losing energy.

Also there would be less chance of a fighter missing his weight if he chose to fight at a weight closer to his walk round weight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Size matters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Size matters

Sure it does, but a healthy fighter, with NO weight cutting issues, no problems with energy loss, will surely be a leveller??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Purely to gain a size/strength advantage

Can go against you so it depends if the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Suits Edgar not to cut but everyone is different

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

They should stop it quite simply by having same day weigh ins... It's dangerous stuff. A lot of them get away with it because they've done it most of their lives as collegiate wrestlers but it will take it's toll eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Size matters

Not all the time, it depends on the individual fighter.

For example Gunnar Nelson walks around more or less at the 170Lbs Welterweight limit. On the other hand guys like Pendred and Shannon are closer to 200Lbs walking weight

All 3 fight at Welterweight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

scudzilla wrote: »
    A fighter who walks around at maybe 210-230 will fight as 185, why is this??
    230 to 185 is a massive cut. I'm not sure any body cuts that much.
    Some times a bad cut results in gassign and lack of energy, but thats down to a fighter over shooting his limits or bad planning.
    A good cut can mean no significant knock on effects for a fighter. not every cut involves hours in a sweat suit etc
    They should stop it quite simply by having same day weigh ins... It's dangerous stuff. A lot of them get away with it because they've done it most of their lives as collegiate wrestlers but it will take it's toll eventually.
    Same day weigh-ins have their own problems and are likely more dangerous overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I think we need to set out some guidelines as to what we are talking about here, so we are all on the same page. Terminology around weight cutting seems to lead to more confusion than anything.

For me "walking around weight" implies the weight they are at before the start of the camp...Day 1 weight if you would.

I'd consider "cutting" to be the dehydration a fighter will do pre weigh in.

So you've basically got 8-10 weeks of hard works and proper dieting, shedding bodyfat along the way. Then you dial back carbs even more to remove glycogen/water from the muscles, then you dehydrate and do the whole sodium dance.

No one "cuts" 50 pounds of water tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Theres a bigger risk of brain damage if your dehydrated and guys will still cut to gain an advantage and take the chance so weight ins the day before are probably a safer idea

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think we need to set out some guidelines as to what we are talking about here, so we are all on the same page. Terminology around weight cutting seems to lead to more confusion than anything.

For me "walking around weight" implies the weight they are at before the start of the camp...Day 1 weight if you would.

I'd consider "cutting" to be the dehydration a fighter will do pre weigh in.

So you've basically got 8-10 weeks of hard works and proper dieting, shedding bodyfat along the way. Then you dial back carbs even more to remove glycogen/water from the muscles, then you dehydrate and do the whole sodium dance.

No one "cuts" 50 pounds of water tbh.
    I'd consider the walk aroung weight to be the weight they are at during training.

Not every fighter spends the camp cutting body fat. After one fight they might have a rest period before the next camp, but they aren't going to put on massive amoutns of weight that'll need to be shedded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Day before weigh ins where brought in to help prevent brain damage, I think that's better than a fighter maybe tiring and losing.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

When we are match making we ask what a fighters walking weight is. By this we mean his normal day to day weight before he starts his fight camp.

It is not uncommon for us to weigh a fighter the morning of a fight out of curiosity, and have seen guys weigh in at 170 and be around 190 the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Size matters

Not all the time, it depends on the individual fighter.

For example Gunnar Nelson walks around more or less at the 170Lbs Welterweight limit. On the other hand guys like Pendred and Shannon are closer to 200Lbs walking weight

All 3 fight at Welterweight
    Yeah but it is gunnar you're talkin bout there john. How many other fighters can do what he does?

Advertisement