Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3d tv

Options
  • 05-02-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

thinking of getting a 3d tv,i was looking at the special offer at currys for lg42lw450u at 799euro with 5 pairs of glasses,do any of the experts out there think this is good value,love to hear your comments on this tv

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Check out avforums, best place to get that sort of information IMO.

Waste of money unless you can get them for less than €100. But that's my own personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Waste of money unless you can get them for less than €100. But that's my own personal opinion.

where, exactly can you find ANY 42 inch tv for 100 quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Waste of money imo, its a novelty to embellish **** tv and films.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Personally would not touch one.
    The makers of 3D films are only pushing this format because its harder to copy such film/TV material.

Besides, can you imagine everyone in your sitting room all looking 'odd' wearing glasses like it was a spectacle convention?
    ...And what if you have visitors and you run out of glasses and/or they just can't view the picture normally?

Nice luxury but for the very limited amount of stuff available for it, a 3D TV in our house would be turned off more than it would be turned on, for just being able to view only 3D stuff.
    ...Then again, if the TV was off more, maybe thats not such a bad thing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Problem is all the newer tv models have 3D whether you want it or not. I know because I'm looking and the shops are getting rid of the older (non-3D) models. I've yet to meet anyone who wants 3D features - maybe the OP is the first!

Some TV and film companies are certainly trying to shove 3D down our throats.
    Fine, if a HD TV comes with a 3D feature, so be it. That feature at least for me, would be turned off.
    I'm used to watching TV without having to go forage, search around looking for a pair of glasses just to look at my screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have 3D on my tv and it is pure novelty. Tried watching a football match and it really looks odd. Switched back to 2D after a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Biggins wrote: »
    ...And what if you have visitors and you run out of glasses and/or they just can't view the picture normally?

Dont watch a 3d blueray or the 1 sky channel that is a simulcast of other channels that are not 3d anyway?
    I'm used to watching TV without having to go forage, search around looking for a pair of glasses just to look at my screen.

If your old enough your were used to watching it without having to go forage, search around looking for a remote just to turn the tv on/change channel.

TV worked just fine in 15" of black and white, why not stick to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've a 3d tv and it's grand. It was a case, as said above, that the tv was the best on offer, 3d or not. It didn't cost anything extra and the glasses and 3d bluray player were thrown in. So if you can get a good deal, then go for it. I barely use it, but there's a few good 3d movies/documentaries out there, so it's nice to have the option.

• Advertisement

...TV worked just fine in 15" of black and white, why not stick to that?
    ...Because people wished to see images in their more natural colour?
    Not (later) additionally as a non-natural 3D image too?
    humanji wrote: »
    I've a 3d tv and it's grand. It was a case, as said above, that the tv was the best on offer, 3d or not. It didn't cost anything extra and the glasses and 3d bluray player were thrown in. So if you can get a good deal, then go for it. I barely use it, but there's a few good 3d movies/documentaries out there, so it's nice to have the option.

O' absolutely.
    If I can get a HD TV with 3D option thrown in as a free extra, its nice just to have that ability also and having that extra option should never be knocked.
    Anything extra is usually a plus!
    Myself - just myself, I wouldn't go out just yet and just make 3D as my first preference.

Kirby wrote: »
    where, exactly can you find ANY 42 inch tv for 100 quid?

I was joking, of course.

It's just not worth it. Off the top of my head, there are only 2 movies that have been 3D from the very beginning - Tron and Avatar. The rest were retrofitted so you're not even getting proper 3D. There are some sports, yes, but I've no idea what they look like.

Realistically, how many TV studios would be able to afford 3D cameras?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Technology is evolving, but way too soon to be lashing out 2 grand, wait a few generations. sure tis only now LCD technology is beating CRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 japp

thanks for all you opinions.but i would not buy just a 3d tv it would have to have to have full hd and a good media player which this one has

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've had a 3D TV now for over a year and a half and I never use it. The best TVs at the time all came with it. My priorities were picture quality and sound with the 3D as a novel extra. With all things being equal and if 3D is thrown in, sure why not, but don't pay a premium for it.

japp wrote: »
    thanks for all you opinions.but i would not buy just a 3d tv it would have to have to have full hd and a good media player which this one has

Nice. :)

thanks for all you opinions.but i would not buy just a 3d tv it would have to have to have full hd

Is there a 3dtv that isnt 1080p?
    ...Because people wished to see images in their more natural colour?
    Not (later) additionally as a non-natural 3D image too?

I have depth perception in real life, dont you?

And what of the remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Allegedly 3d tv is dead in the water hence the dramatic price collapse in the last year or so..

bryaner wrote: »
    Allegedly 3d tv is dead in the water hence the dramatic price collapse in the last year or so..

LCD and LED must have vanished a few years ago so. They have come right down in price.

All technology starts off expensive then gets much cheaper as it becomes more mainstream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

You can pick up a Blu-Ray for forty squid now....i said squid!

• Advertisement

LCD and LED must have vanished a few years ago so. They have come right down in price.

All technology starts off expensive then gets much cheaper as it becomes more mainstream.

Led and Lcd prices certainly didn't drop in such a dramatic fashion like 3d has,obviously you bought a 3d tv and are still trying to convince yourself that you didn't get it hard up the ass..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Led and Lcd prices certainly didn't drop in such a dramatic fashion like 3d has,obviously you bought a 3d tv and are still trying to convince yourself that you didn't get it hard up the ass..

LCD didn't, LED definitely did.

Besides as I pointed out when 3D TVs hit a mass-market price they were a rip-off. They just need a high refresh rate and the active ones need an IR thing to control the glasses. They were trying to put 5-600 on top of the price which was just ridiculous. The extra cost to stick 3D into a TV is a coupla bucks.

And what of the remote?

The wife works just fine! :D

amacachi wrote: »
    LCD didn't, LED definitely did.

Besides as I pointed out when 3D TVs hit a mass-market price they were a rip-off. They just need a high refresh rate and the active ones need an IR thing to control the glasses. They were trying to put 5-600 on top of the price which was just ridiculous. The extra cost to stick 3D into a TV is a coupla bucks.

Na the hole fell out of 3d in a fashion I've never seen before, plasma Lcd and Led sold like fcuk hence the price drop, 3d aint moving at all but the mother of all price drops.

A few of my mates have 3d and they are still wondering what in the name of jaysus were they at, 3d is dead in the water have a google..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭mountain

thinking of getting a 3d tv,i was looking at the special offer at currys for lg42lw450u at 799euro with 5 pairs of glasses,do any of the experts out there think this is good value,love to hear your comments on this tv

I actually won one of these just recently, its a great model,
    watch the very odd 3d movie on it, soccer is not great on it in 3d, turned back to 2d after 10 mins or so. We did however watch a rugby match on it in 3d, which was good.
    If you like the tv, go for it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I was looking at models today and all the newer models come with 3D, whether you want it or not. A lot of people will end up with 3D TVs even though they may have no interest. I know I certainly don't care if I didn't get it but I don't have a huge choice given most of the older models are gone.
    Bit like the movies really - the studios are convinced people want it when I know people who actively go out of their way to avoid the 3D showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Na the hole fell out of 3d in a fashion I've never seen before, plasma Lcd and Led sold like fcuk hence the price drop, 3d aint moving at all but the mother of all price drops.

A few of my mates have 3d and they are still wondering what in the name of jaysus were they at, 3d is dead in the water have a google..

LED sank massively. I remember 18 months ago seeing 32 inch LEDs in the Sony Centre on O'Connell Street for over 900 quid, similar LCD was around 500 at the time, check them out now. Plasma took a while to fall and catch LCD simply because it was expensive to produce. LCD was the same, also it took a long time to scale up. By the time LED came along LCD had improved massively and Plasma is still better.

3D was purely a gouging exercise. LED similarly. LCD and plasma took a while too fall in price for good reasons, LED and 3D both crashed because they were put at the higher price in the hope that advertising would convince people it was worth it.

Nope , I got the 46" Samsung LCD in Argos that was in BA at Christmas 2010, no fancy 3d for me.

Having watched the HEC final last year in 3d though, I'm planning on getting on when funds allow.

EDIT:wrong size, inches matter :-)

Nope , I got the 42" Samsung LCD in Argos that was in BA at Christmas 2010, no fancy 3d for me.

Having watched the HEC final last year in 3d though, I'm planning on getting on when funds allow.

Fair enough I'm on a Samsung 40" myself and well happy I've seen 3d and it aint doing it for me, different strokes I guess..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Know it's a late reply but got the 32" version of this telly and it's the madras liathroidi. The 3D is brilliant on it. I wasn't expecting much but I was very impressed.
    Played Arkham City on the xbox in 3D and downloaded Fright Night 3D as an MKV file which played on USB key. Both looked fantastic even though Fright Night was a low enough quality download. Have only spent a few hours playing with it but looks a fantastic buy so far

Advertisement