Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1961 Railtour

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i have two photos of the tour...both not great

mmu2jt.jpg

Newmarket Station

10z36zd.jpg

Kanturk station

this is 131, i dion;t know where, seems to be a copyright photo :)

nn9qwj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Surely the tour to end all tours. Some of the old spotters (now gone to that great marshalling yard in the sky) used to ramble on about it when I used to meet them on tours in the 1980s. :D

sad to see locos used on the tour and not preserved, they must have got so close! Particullarly sad would be 464, one of the Bandon Tanks I think.

What a treat 801 NMacha must have been, one of its last runs I imagine.

corktina wrote: »
    sad to see locos used on the tour and not preserved, they must have got so close! Particullarly sad would be 464, one of the Bandon Tanks I think.

What a treat 801 NMacha must have been, one of its last runs I imagine.

Colm Creedon and some IRRS London members tried to save a Bandon Tank but there was no support here.

• Advertisement

Steam went so early here and there was no Barry Scrapyard to save the day!
    I guess we are lucky to have what we have....how about a fund to buy a LMS Jinty and a SR N class (or U I'm not fussy) from the UK and re-guage them?

God loves a tryer, but this was being discussed in the early 1980s - didn't happen then and won't now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Maybe someone with a bit of cash could persuade the Mid Hants to run a mogul in CIÉ green...

A pity indeed that more CIÉ steam locos weren't preserved (in contrast their diesel classes have done quite well bar the Ds and E401s). Although I doubt they'd all be running now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Surely the tour to end all tours. Some of the old spotters (now gone to that great marshalling yard in the sky) used to ramble on about it when I used to meet them on tours in the 1980s. :D

I'm not surprised they rambled on about it,that itinerary is the stuff of legend!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

corktina wrote: »

Thanks. This is an an interesting photo as I think it's the only location where a Bord na Mona line crossed a main line on the level, with both lines been protected by signals and a gate.
    The 3ft gauge line is still in situ here, but the Banaghar branch is long closed.

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Thanks. This is an an interesting photo as I think it's the only location where a Bord na Mona line crossed a main line on the level, with both lines been protected by signals and a gate.
    The 3ft gauge line is still in situ here, but the Banaghar branch is long closed.

Cool. Didn't even know there was such a crossing. Indeed, I think that's the first time I've seen pic of a CIÉ steam loco alongside a BnaM line, although I've seen pics of modern stock passing over the bog lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

There's several pictures of this tour in "Irish Traction in Colour" by Derek Huntriss

Been working my way through the pile of books bought with my xmas Amazon Vouchers and only just got round to this one.

I had forgotten about that crossing! It reminded me that I really must make the pilgrimage to the new Welsh Highland this year. They have a more fancy looking crossing on the level where the narrow gauge crosses the Cambrian Coast line near Portmadoc.

326160_9600c1f9.jpg
    © Copyright Dewi and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/326160

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Actually forgot you can view the exact location of the crossing (thanks Google), clearly showing the 3ft gauge the line. The view is looking towards Banagher.

I had forgotten about that crossing! It reminded me that I really must make the pilgrimage to the new Welsh Highland this year. They have a more fancy looking crossing on the level where the narrow gauge crosses the Cambrian Coast line near Portmadoc.

326160_9600c1f9.jpg
    © Copyright Dewi and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/326160

Interesting feature. I believe at least part of the reopened WHR uses ex-IÉ ETS equipment, not sure which route it came from.

Advertisement