Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headlamp alignment and doe test

Options
  • 05-02-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have an lhd Hymer which is still set up for lhd lights.I dont want to change this as I holiday in France.Does anyone know will this be possible with the new test.
    Zambo
    p.s. where will I get the test done where the testers wont try to explode my engine at high revs,had a pajero run a bigend a month after doe,cost e2200 to put that right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

no healthy engine will "explode" , I've had 20 year old stuff fly through it . Re the lights , I've fitted any LHDs we got tested , with beam benders , bit tricky to set up but I have a beam setter which helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

zambo wrote: »
    Hi all
    I have an lhd Hymer which is still set up for lhd lights.I dont want to change this as I holiday in France.Does anyone know will this be possible with the new test.
    Zambo
    p.s. where will I get the test done where the testers wont try to explode my engine at high revs,had a pajero run a bigend a month after doe,cost e2200 to put that right.

Stick on beam benders (correctly positioned) will be accepted for DoE.

If your Hymer is an A class with Hella 90mm FF units (the round bus type) like THESE they can be adjusted between LH dip and RH dip.
    Here's how.

On the back of each lamp you will see three screws.
    Two in slotted holes and one in a circular hole with an unused hole next to it. Undo the two screws in the slotted holes slightly and remove screw from the circular hole fully.
    Now twist the light unit so the screws in the slotted holes are at the other end of each slot and the unused circular hole now lines up to the hole in the front body of the light.
    Replace and tighten all three screws removed.

One of the positions gives LH dip the other RH dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

I have the beam benders from eurolights. Hoping they pass to. But be careful they tend to fall of when the weather gets cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi all
    Thanks for the replies re beam benders,I hope you are right.
    Ok so my remarks about engines exploding was ott but my point has some validity.My hymer is 16 yrs old and has done about 50,000 miles ,I drive it carefully and never use high revs.Many large diesels might be redlined at 5000 revs but this the safe maximum and not intended to be held at this speed for any length of time.There are many stories of the amount of revving done in nct and doe stations and whether true or not the fact remains I would prefer if my hymer didnt have to endure this test every year for a total average milage of less than 3000 miles.Im not worrying about it passing,I just dont want it to pass away.
    Yours Zambo.

Ps thanks Nilok it would be nice to have those lamps but my van is a bit older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

it's easy to adjust the throttle stop so they can't get full RPMs .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Hi
    I would assume that the tester has a data sheet for the engine that specifies the maximum revs of the engine and if this is not achieved then it fails.
    An engine running off load does not require anything like full throttle to achieve full revs,there is no fixed relationship between throttle position and engine speed.
    Yours Zambo

Advertisement