Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security Companies

Options
  • 05-02-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

Are there any computer security companies that are Irish, based in Ireland or at least have some offices or something here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fcerullo

what are you specifically looking for GarIT? Consultancy, products, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I should have been more speific, Internet security or antivirus products. I need a new one soon and I was looking to support a company that supports Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

As far as I'm aware Symantec are based in Ballycoolin Industrial Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fcerullo

Symantec, McAfee & Trendmicro are all based in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Microsoft are based in Sandyford,
    and Security Essentials is free for up to 10 users.

If you want help with installing or configuring (setting up a firewall etc.) use a local company

If you want a security product that can recognise existing threats then you are going to need something from a big company as other wise they will just be resellers / repackaging stuff. And unless it's a local company putting a wrapper on something like clamav its going to be difficult for them to be able to react to all threats as timely as a bigger company

Sophos / fprot are closer to home though

• Advertisement

fcerullo wrote: »
    Symantec, McAfee & Trendmicro are all based in Ireland.

I wouldn't touch McAfee, I haven't looked at it in ages though maybe I should.
    Microsoft are based in Sandyford,
    and Security Essentials is free for up to 10 users.

If you want help with installing or configuring (setting up a firewall etc.) use a local company

If you want a security product that can recognise existing threats then you are going to need something from a big company as other wise they will just be resellers / repackaging stuff. And unless it's a local company putting a wrapper on something like clamav its going to be difficult for them to be able to react to all threats as timely as a bigger company

Sophos / fprot are closer to home though

I'll be fine with all that, Its was initially just for me. MSE is only an AV so I try to avoid it. If i was going to put money into something I rather keep it local where possible. I could end up getting a friend to start selling it, he became a comodo reseller on my advice but a few people have been coming back saying its too complicated for them to use. I googled "Norton Ireland" and got a few results back of ads for jobs, in research, testing and analysis etc. so if Norton has that work being done in Ireland and with all the improvements they have made I'll probably go with them.

EDIT: McAfee seem to have the same level of work in Ireland as Norton, I knew McAfee was here but I thought it was just sales. I'll look into them more.

Trend Micro only seem to do technical support and sales in Ireland.

Webroot do research and localization in Dublin, can see any sign of development though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC Symantec also do research here

IIRC Symantec also do research here

Thats what I ment by Norton

GarIT wrote: »
    Thats what I ment by Norton
    sorry mental block there,
    Hard to believe that it's been 30 years since Norton Utilities was released :eek:
    It was the biz, fix/recover data from corrupt documents, all sorts of good stuff.

But Peter Norton sold out a long time ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I grow up using Norton Command as a CLI\TUI { Text User Interface } on my DOS 6.22 system and not use Midnight Command on Linux.
    Hard to believe that it's been 30 years since Norton Utilities was released :eek:
    It was the biz, fix/recover data from corrupt documents, all sorts of good stuff.

• Advertisement

I grow up using Norton Command as a CLI\TUI { Text User Interface } on my DOS 6.22 system and not use Midnight Command on Linux.

This thread makes me feel like a baby, I grew up with Windows XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I should have been more speific, Internet security or antivirus products. I need a new one soon and I was looking to support a company that supports Ireland.

You know what "they" say about these companies...in the front office they design the anti-virus solution,while in the back office they work on the virus !! :)

I did a training course with someone,they confirmed that database for wild threads is shared,the detecting/reacting agents installed worldwide are shared,their response security team are consulting each other in some cases,so...excepting GUI and load on local PC...all 'looks' the same !

Personal,i use/sell/install SEP,due to Central Management Console.And the 4engines...

rolion wrote: »
    You know what "they" say about these companies...in the front office they design the anti-virus solution,while in the back office they work on the virus !! :)

I did a training course with someone,they confirmed that database for wild threads is shared,the detecting/reacting agents installed worldwide are shared,their response security team are consulting each other in some cases,so...excepting GUI and load on local PC...all 'looks' the same !

Personal,i use/sell/install SEP,due to Central Management Console.And the 4engines...

There's a forum for conspiracy theories but it's not here. In reality it doesn't matter who designed the virus, I can stop whoever made it but I still have to protect myself from it.

The databases aren't shared if you looked at them you would see they are clearly different. At times some databases have been stolen and used by another company. There are know agreements like GData use Avira + BitDefender databases. But try to send a virus to Virus Total, sometimes only 2 companies detect it, sometimes 20 and sometimes 40 companies detect it depending on the virus, that first seem shared to me. There are also several other methods of detecting viruses now, and most companies use different methods. If all databases were the same Comodo wouldn't go through the bother of trying to get 15 databases working in one scanner.

What is SEP, all I can think of is Symamtec or Sophos endpoint protection. Neither are great because they both rely on databases and no other forms of protection. Both use pretty useless databases too I wouldn't say either of them protects against more than around 70% of malware.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Most of the antivirus vendors share samples to ensure that coverage is as good as possible and in general there is pretty good cooperation between vendors.

When you say that AV products are based on a 'database', that is not really true anymore. Most products use a combination of techniques for detecting viruses which does include 'databases' of known viruses but also more proactive technique such as behavioral detection, or massive white listing/reputation systems.

SEP is Symantec Endpoint Protection, it's an enterprise product. You can look up various websites which measure the effectiveness of AV products against each other to help you pick the one you want.

Gavin wrote: »
    Most of the antivirus vendors share samples to ensure that coverage is as good as possible and in general there is pretty good cooperation between vendors.

When you say that AV products are based on a 'database', that is not really true anymore. Most products use a combination of techniques for detecting viruses which does include 'databases' of known viruses but also more proactive technique such as behavioral detection, or massive white listing/reputation systems.

SEP is Symantec Endpoint Protection, it's an enterprise product. You can look up various websites which measure the effectiveness of AV products against each other to help you pick the one you want.

Yeah, I basically said that in my last post, just not in detail. I don't trust any comparitives since it came out that AV comparitaves were giving good results for payments. From personal testing I find Symantec Endpoint useless but Norton (except 360) and Kaspersky lead the way.

Database doesn't just mean a list of signatures, it would include a list of behaviours / detection algorithms / heuristics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yeah, I basically said that in my last post, just not in detail. I don't trust any comparitives since it came out that AV comparitaves were giving good results for payments. From personal testing I find Symantec Endpoint useless but Norton (except 360) and Kaspersky lead the way.

Where did you hear about this av comparison bribery ? Also, it's difficult to determine how SEP gave a different result to Norton given that they are based on the same engines. SEP just has more remote management stuff. The latest versions anyway.

Where did you hear about this av comparison bribery ? Also, it's difficult to determine how SEP gave a different result to Norton given that they are based on the same engines. SEP just has more remote management stuff. The latest versions anyway.

Melih Abdulhayoglu's blog. He owns Comodo. The endpoint protection is way behind on the components it uses, Norton IS has more components than SEP and the IS is updated a lot more frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Melih Abdulhayoglu's blog. He owns Comodo. The endpoint protection is way behind on the components it uses, Norton IS has more components than SEP and the IS is updated a lot more frequently.

Are we for real !??
    I own rolion antivirus and my product is the best !
    I even 'donate' 50k to any1 that can ...tell me that !!
    That report,a pdf with 130 pages,too much for me !

Personal,i use "my antivirus",combined with a good user,email and antivirus policy/AUP and i am trouble free ! For a high security/privacy/confidentiality customer site,i double that with "a product" that does all the scanning at the firewall level,the entry/exit of all the nasty things!

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

I wouldn't touch McAfee, I haven't looked at it in ages though maybe I should.
    Their enterprise solution is far superior to that crap they STILLsell to home users.

• Advertisement
Advertisement