Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editing of old posts

Options
  • 05-02-2012 5:13pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After a couple of days you can't edit your post anymore. While this makes sense for a number of reasons, it poses a problem in a couple of situations.

One example is in the minecraft forum, where the OP of server threads tends to need to be updated relatively often. Whenever a new plugin is added, or a map is updated its great to add the changes to the thread. However to do this a mod needs to be asked to edit in any changes, adding unnecessary work for them.

In the PC Building & Upgrading forum, we are trying to make a general information thread about various aspects of building a computer. Again, a mod will be needed to edit in any updates whenever new hardware comes.

One easy solution to this would be to allow mods to flag a post somehow, removing the edit timeout on it. This would be a great help in the forums I mentioned, and I'm sure it would help people in other situations as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

This is probably more suited to the site development forum.

However my initial thoughts are that the benefits of the way it is now outweigh the disadvantages. It is intended as an anti-spam measure, as we have seen before innocuous post edited by individuals at a later date.

In the overall scheme of things, I would imagine that this modification would fall way down the list of priorities for the site developers. Maybe Paddy or Danny could confirm if this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

As a general rule, we're not going to add any post-based "flag" at any stage in the near future. The best case scenario for flags such as these is 4 hours of complete site downtime, which is not going to happen unless absolutely necessary (read: almost never ;))

There is no inbuilt way to set a per-forum edit time limit, nevermind a per-post timelimit. There is a universal, site wide limit which is what's in use at the moment, it won't be changed for the reasons outline by Tom above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement