Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners Motorcycles

Options
  • 05-02-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

What would be a good bike to start out on? What are the CC limits? I am an experienced rider, but never on the road. Whats the process for getting a licence and what is required etc?

What would be the insurance price range for a beginner who was involved in a car accident before. Baring in mind it was my fault.

I'm looking for all the info I can get here.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

What would be a good bike to start out on? What are the CC limits? I am an experienced rider, but never on the road. Whats the process for getting a licence and what is required etc?

What would be the insurance price range for a beginner who was involved in a car accident before. Baring in mind it was my fault.

I'm looking for all the info I can get here.

Thanks

Your an experienced rider but never on the road? What do you do ride it illegally through fields?

You will need to do the theroy test, then you get a leaner permit. There was something about leaners having to get lessons from a driving school but im not sure on that issue but I know you do need them just not sure in what order. An A1 licence allows you to drive upto 250cc and A is anything above that but only after 2 years of passing your test are you allowed to go bigger than 250cc. Read up on citizens information about it.

As for your insurance the bikes go in grades the same way cars go by engine size. The more powerful or the type of bike it is (racing,tourer etc) the dearer or cheaper the insurance. The fact you already had an accident and it was your fault won't stand to you. Bikes full stop are dear for insurance especially if you are starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

There is a sticky in this forum explaining most things. Give it a read

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/getting-on-the-road/

Although I don't understand the "I am a experienced rider part". If you haven't ridden a bike on the road, your not a experienced rider where it matters.

How long is a piece of string? There are four companies, Quinn, Adelaide, Aon and Carol Nash(25+). Decide on a bike, check its insurance group and ring for a quote. Your crash in the car has to be declared and will increase the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

^ this is not true....
    It has nothing to do with the CC, that is from the 90's, they now use either the HP of the bike or the KW/KG ratio.
    below is for a full bike licence not one restricted to 125CC. although i think they are similar.
    As a beginner you will have to do a theory test, then apply for a permit not a licence, then before you get on a bike you will have to do an IBT with a registered instructor, for more info have a look in the motorcycle forum section there is loads of info on it.
    then after you do you IBT you can ride a restricted bike, either up to 33HP/25Kw or 0.16Kw/kg(i think this is the figure not sure). then do your test, you are then restricted for 2 years, after this you can ride what you like.

The insurance is based around riding experience/cc of the bike/factory restriction against a garage fitted restriction etc.
    the insurance is quite expensive when you start out i do not know if your accident will play a part.

If you are thinking its cheap, its not as you might know safe biking is not cheap, for the bit think 500 odd you can get it cheaper if done with someone else, and as for gear i am sure you know about that, you can spend what you like on gear. oh and also its the law to wear a hi-viz while on a leaner permit although few do. but it is a requirement for the test.

anything else just ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

Thanks for the replies. Thanks for moving the thread also, I didn't see the motorcycle forum.

By experienced, I mean, I have been driving motorcycles since I was old enough to hold a small 50cc scrambler up. Not ILLEGALLY. There is nothing illegal about riding a motorbike on someone's land when you have permission from the land owner.

I'll look into it all some more.

Thanks very much

• Advertisement

eurofoxy wrote: »
    ^ this is not true....
    It has nothing to do with the CC, that is from the 90's, they now use either the HP of the bike or the KW/KG ratio.
    below is for a full bike licence not one restricted to 125CC. although i think they are similar.
    As a beginner you will have to do a theory test, then apply for a permit not a licence, then before you get on a bike you will have to do an IBT with a registered instructor, for more info have a look in the motorcycle forum section there is loads of info on it.
    then after you do you IBT you can ride a restricted bike, either up to 33HP/25Kw or 0.16Kw/kg(i think this is the figure not sure). then do your test, you are then restricted for 2 years, after this you can ride what you like.

The insurance is based around riding experience/cc of the bike/factory restriction against a garage fitted restriction etc.
    the insurance is quite expensive when you start out i do not know if your accident will play a part.

If you are thinking its cheap, its not as you might know safe biking is not cheap, for the bit think 500 odd you can get it cheaper if done with someone else, and as for gear i am sure you know about that, you can spend what you like on gear. oh and also its the law to wear a hi-viz while on a leaner permit although few do. but it is a requirement for the test.

anything else just ask...

Thats what I meant I just didn't word it correct. I havent been on a bike since 2004 but I was riding bikes from 18 to 24 and finished off on the A1 licence. So my understanding of the whole bike thing is a little off untill I start to ride again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

just like everything in the country, it changes every few years depending on what idiot they put in charge of things, very soon we will all look like giant traffic cones just so gaybo can say he made a difference....

I already have the red head so il just need the body and the black base :D

Advertisement