Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Newstalk and Today FM business shows go head to head?

Options
  • 05-02-2012 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Two stations owned by the same company splitting the vote is madness surely?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thedubboy

Because when Newstalk were changing the business show from Saturday to Sundays for whatever reason, they couldnt find anywhere suitable on the schedule to put the business show so they just threw it in at 10am on a Sunday morning, bizarre really, because as u say it's going up against Today FM who have a very strong listenership and also RTE heavywheights who have in the region of over 350,000. Dont listen to it anymore, does Bobby Kerr still present it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He does (and is terrible), though not today as it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Never liked newstalks business show and goinng off today fm show. Seems to be the same stuff all the time and the same guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

mike65 wrote: »
    He does (and is terrible), though not today as it happens
    I'm sure he's a nice guy and all but he does not have a voice for radio.
    Also agree, same kinda thing every week, so I stopped listening to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Some good business podcasts from the bbc and the guardian. Evan Davis who does dragons den has a good 1 called the bottom line and a good selection of guests and a new series has just started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    I'm sure he's a nice guy and all but he does not have a voice for radio.
    Also agree, same kinda thing every week, so I stopped listening to them.
    there dosen't seem to a week, that Bobby does not include some company/business involved in the food sector

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

dvcireland wrote: »
    there dosen't seem to a week, that Bobby does not include some company/business involved in the food sector

There be a good reason for that http://www.bobbykerr.com/about/64-2/

Newstalk go for the names not their track record when it comes to broadcasting. When i used to listen to it Bobby Kerr reminded of your man from from Father Ted, the priest with the most boring voice in the world...cant find link sorry.
    Would love to know their listenership figures, id imagine its gone downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

I don't think Today FM, or any of the RTE's would be too worried about this programme. BK is an awful presenter.. I'm sure he is a good business man, but as other posters have said, he does not have a voice for radio. Very bland, boring, and struggles to make boring topics sound in any way interesting.
    Nothing against the guy, but couldn't listen to him

I doubt RTE are worried at all, Newstalk used to pride themselves as having the first business show at the weekends at 12 on a Saturday, why they decided to move it to Sunday...Used to listen to it when the Fine Gael guy Mark Mowtell ( spell check) presented it, found it very well informed and guests and contents were excellent. I used to love listening to the markets guy, used to get it right all the time, especially during the banking crisis. Then they changed it and brought in Bobby Kerr, I soon switched off after that. I have to say i enjoy listening the Sunday Business Show on Today FM these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Not necessarily. It's common practice for a large company to have 2 or more separate brands aiming at similar markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭bureau2009

No idea why the two shows go head to head but............

I always listen to Today FM's business show and I always learn something from it. Seems to be on a really good roll at the moment with Conal O'Morain as the regular presenter.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Not necessarily. It's common practice for a large company to have 2 or more separate brands aiming at similar markets.

That been said, as I said above, Newstalk couldnt find a suitable time slot for the new show on Sundays so just shoved it in at 10am and scaled it back by an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

But sure wasn't Sam Smith vs Dunphy the same? (Week in news analysis with panels, Now Savage vs Shane Coleman)
    Or Cooper vs Hook (Drivetime news review)
    Or Dunne vs Darcy (innane light entertainment)

Well I can't comment on D'arcy as I have never knowingly listened, but the two tea time shows are sufficiently different in tone and texture to have separate dedicated audiences (I never listen to Hooky for example) whereas business is business and I'd imagine plenty would sooner have the chance to listen to both without resorting to podcasts.

Advertisement