Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fringe S04E11 'Making Angels' [US] *Spoilers*

Options
  • 05-02-2012 11:30am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A really good first 25-30 mins, more Astrid yay! :) The scenes with Alt-Astrid and Astrid were well done and genuinely moving, plus Walter had some good lines as usual - Olivia, the viper?! Mata Hari! :D The main story petered out once the TSA/airport connection became clear, but then we had the observer stuff at the end...

Verdict? 24 votes

Fringetastic
    0% 0 votes
    Very Good
    33% 8 votes
    OK
    41% 10 votes
    Not So Good
    16% 4 votes
    Awful
    8% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,472 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I thought it was a really good episode, apart from the religious theme which seemed a bit forced. Good ending though - interested to see what the observers do now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ah, but will you now buy a Nissan Leaf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

I thought it was excellent episode. Walter was top notch.

Even though I'm enjoying the episodes I'm finding that I don't really care what happens any of the characters because neither of the universes are the original one that Peter came from. Peters universe where he grew up contain all the characters that the show revolve around. 11 eps in without that verse in sight is a bit too long.

Although if I find out that he actually is in his universe and can never go back to the old one I'd accept that. I just hope to find that out a lot sooner than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

red dave wrote: »
    I thought it was excellent episode. Walter was top notch.

Even though I'm enjoying the episodes I'm finding that I don't really care what happens any of the characters because neither of the universes are the original one that Peter came from. Peters universe where he grew up contain all the characters that the show revolve around. 11 eps in without that verse in sight is a bit too long.

Although if I find out that he actually is in his universe and can never go back to the old one I'd accept that. I just hope to find that out a lot sooner than later.

Yes! This is exactly how I feel about this whole season so far. For a few seasons they actually got us caring about the alt universe and their characters, which was tough because they were not our original characters. But this year we have this different timeline with all these characters that are not our original Fringe characters. I don't care if Nina is druggin Olivia because it is not the Olivia we know or care about. Considering is is also probably the last season I want them to get back to the characters we have know for the last 3 years,not these different timeline characters that mean nothing to me. Peter is the only one I care about at the moment,everything else is "meh".

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Ditto to the above. I find myself wanting the episode to be nearly over so I can get that little bit of extra information that will help the story arc along.

Couldnt not give a flying f*#k about this timelines version of anyone. The sooner its restored the better. I also want to find out what the hell that underground torpedo was and what the hell was the story with ZFT and did Gene ever produce chocolate milk and how far do olivias power extend and who shot the sheriff.

• Advertisement

If that religous fruit cake could see the future how come he didnt know that paralysed git was gonna do a legger when confronted?

Maybe he did know and he was just there to make sure it happened so as to lead the agents to his house to kill him. But if thats so then his ability to see the future was in fact creating the future to his own desire thus creating a different future for every action he took. Could he just sit at home and view alternate future time lines for every action or in-action he may have decided upon.

I need the oracle.

somuj wrote: »
    If that religous fruit cake could see the future how come he didnt know that paralysed git was gonna do a legger when confronted?

Maybe he did know and he was just there to make sure it happened so as to lead the agents to his house to kill him. But if thats so then his ability to see the future was in fact creating the future to his own desire thus creating a different future for every action he took. Could he just sit at home and view alternate future time lines for every action or in-action he may have decided upon.

I need the oracle.

Perhaps he could only see one future and not all of them, like the Observers can?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

red dave wrote: »

I was so sure this was going to be the episode where we found out what is going on. I thought with a MOW concerning the Observers and Reiden lake coinciding with a visit from Alt-Astrid, a with her supreme ability to deduce probability, it would come together with Alt-Astrid realising something important about this universe and how it came about because of Peter's lack of existence and set the characters on the right track to fix things.

iguana wrote: »

I was so sure this was going to be the episode where we found out what is going on. I thought with a MOW concerning the Observers and Reiden lake coinciding with a visit from Alt-Astrid, a with her supreme ability to deduce probability, it would come together with Alt-Astrid realising something important about this universe and how it came about because of Peter's lack of existence and set the characters on the right track to fix things.

I thought it would be revealed also. It looks like they crossed over and got on so well with Walter-Astrid (establish emotional connections) just to have them killed in the next episode(s). Probably have both worlds overrun with the shape shifters and only then will Peter go back to the original universe. Which is alright I guess, but would have a bigger impact on watching if it was happening back at the original alt-verse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bout time we got to know more about astrid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

one point i was just thinking of, what if this is our universe, and the only reason we think its not is beacause peter sees it differently, but it would be different for him beacause the very reason it is different is beacause peter never existed in this universe,

peter not existing is the reason our universe seems so different, without him in it things played out slightly different than when he was in it, so peter doesnt have a universe to get back to cause hes already in it,

the biggest obsticle i can see to it not being our universe is nina taking in olivia, hard to think of a reasonable explaination for it,

can people really not relate with the blonde character played by anna torv called Olivia?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

don ramo wrote: »
    the biggest obsticle i can see to it not being our universe is nina taking in olivia, hard to think of a reasonable explaination for it,

I think that it's possible. We saw in season 3 that Walter continued on working with the Cortexiphan trial kids in order to get them to cross to the other universe in order to return Peter to where he belongs. Presumably if Peter died immediately after crossing over Walter gave up on the Cortexiphan trials and Nina, who would still have damaged her arm when Walter first crossed over, decides to take over the trials. She realises the type of power Olivia has and has her mother and step-father killed so she can keep control of Olivia.

The real question is, where is Belly? And will Nimoy be up to playing him again?:)

one point i was just thinking of, what if this is our universe, and the only reason we think its not is beacause peter sees it differently, but it would be different for him beacause the very reason it is different is beacause peter never existed in this universe,

peter not existing is the reason our universe seems so different, without him in it things played out slightly different than when he was in it, so peter doesnt have a universe to get back to cause hes already in it,

Yes exactly that's it. I think though there might be too much of a disconnect from the audience point of view (well mine anyways) to the characters (i.e. same as peter) to feel anything for the characters. If that's the intended purpose of this season then great I'll go along with the ride. But I feel I won't realize I'm on that ride until its too late.

Although for that to have an impact (for me) would be that Peter has no chance of getting his past put back into the timeline. If we don't find that out until the end of season it would have a totally different look (backwards) to the whole season.

For me in the back of my mind when watching this season I'm thinking yeah ok this is all good but Peter will get back to the normal universe. If he doesn't get back then yeah that would be a shocker. But then I'm thinking if I'm not shocked then its a bit disappointing.

Right so my brain hurts so I'll give it a rest until the next ep...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

can people really not relate with the blonde character played by anna torv called Olivia?

It's not the Olivia we have known for several years, neither is it alt-Olivia who was also very interesting and I grew to like in a way. It's neither of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

This season is a strange one alright, especially because you're never sure if you should invest in these characters or not. Still, I'm enjoying it, and throwing this out there but anybody think Neil shot September through the window, hence him being shot when talking to Olivia that time? Cause it was a terrible and pointless shot otherwise and I'm not buying the suicide explanation Olivia came up with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

muff03 wrote: »
    This season is a strange one alright, especially because you're never sure if you should invest in these characters or not. Still, I'm enjoying it, and throwing this out there but anybody think Neil shot September through the window, hence him being shot when talking to Olivia that time? Cause it was a terrible and pointless shot otherwise and I'm not buying the suicide explanation Olivia came up with.

that's an interesting one, though he did waffle on about being like jesus when the romans came for him, and being messed up and trying to have a purpose and being a saviour, so it's pretty plausible

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I agree, I don't think it's an alternate timeline universe, it's our universe with an altered timeline. It's a fine distinction, but it means that there isn't an 'our universe' with 'our characters' out there wondering where Peter vanished to.

And it means that the only way for Peter to get home is to repair the timeline, in effect destroying the timeline we see now, along with the people in it. I'm guessing that they'll realise this soon enough, and then the only way they'll let him do it is if the 2 current universes are facing destruction and it's their last hope. Presumably something that Nina/Jones will do will lead to this.

edit: really enjoyed this episode, but for a very observer focused episode it needed more observer. Hopefully next week :)

tvnutz wrote: »
    It's not the Olivia we have known for several years, neither is it alt-Olivia who was also very interesting and I grew to like in a way. It's neither of them.

but we've seen they're not that different, she had experiments on her, but she hasn't revisted them as an adult yet.

that's the biggest difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fiftysix

It's been a while since this has been said but olivia is such a lash.Moreso, fauxlivia. oh yeah this episode was good too.

• Advertisement

Fiftysix wrote: »
    It's been a while since this has been said but olivia is such a lash.Moreso, fauxlivia. oh yeah this episode was good too.

Whats a lash ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Altivia-fringe-20539451-200-200.jpg:D

Advertisement