Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia in March question

Options
  • 04-02-2012 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

im headin to australia next month which i booked last minute yesterday. ive booked a one way ticket and have had my visa granted. Im going over to work for the year and have accomodation sorted. The only thing is i will only have $2000 aus dollars in my account when i go and im worried that immigration wont let me in when i arrive. Do they check? and will $2000 dollars suffice?

has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭flids.utd

The one way ticket could be a problem, your meant to have a return ticket or an onward travel ticket entering the country, so you may have to change your booked ticket. You can get an open ended return ticket so your not tied to a date.
    It also is a handy back up just in case things dont work out or you need to come home in a hurry for any reason. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 19 deisePhil

If you have credit cards, the credit limit on them can be counted as additional cash. They only want to be sure that you will be able to support yourself if you don't find work. Worst case, they will phone your parents, who should vouch that they will cover you if your in financial trouble.

As for the flight. I don't know anyone who went over with a return flight. Flights are only valid for 12 months and if your're looking to apply for a second year visa then there's no point getting one. Customs know that. They would be more concerned if you were on a a holiday visa with no return flight.

Don't worry about it , Enjoy Oz. Wish I could go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

You should be alright at immigration.

I hope that when you say you have accommodation sorted that a mate is letting you crash. If you have to figure in accom with other initial costs, 2000AUD will not get you very far at all.

You will need to be sorting a job out as soon as you can, otherwise forget about partying down the pub and get used to the 2 minute noodle diet.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

mayostar wrote: »
    The only thing is i will only have $2000 aus dollars in my account when i go and im worried that immigration wont let me in when i arrive. Do they check? and will $2000 dollars suffice?

This really depends on your situation. Do you have work set up to start immediately for when you get there? Do you have friends or family you can stay with? Can you get money sent to you to get a ticket home if you don’t secure work?

$2000 may seem like a lot but you’re not taking into account the hidden costs involved in getting set up over here.

First off, if you are going to rent a room here you will need to pay a bond (like a deposit so that if you trash the place the owner is covered.) this is usually the equivalent of one months rent. On top of that you normally also have to pay a months rent in advance. Lets say you find a cheap enough room near the city that costs about $160 a week. Even if you move into the place straight away you will have to pay about $1375 for the first months rent and bond leaving you with just $625 and I haven’t even mentioned that most rooms here come unfurnished or that the cost of bills may not be included in the rent.

Just for example saying that you get a fully furnished room with bills inclusive you still already don’t have enough money to pay next months rent or buy a ticket home unless you get a job right from the start.

I don’t want to be a kill joy but seriously consider what you are doing before you come over with such a small amount of money.

There are opportunities here but jobs can be difficult to get and this may take time.

Australia is not a cheep place to stay in if you are not earning money here and I have seen a lot of people arrive and seriously struggle because they didn’t bring enough to start with.

I myself came with less then the $5000 recommended by immigration and despite having a really good Australian friend that let me stay rent free at their place for the first couple of weeks, I came really close to having to leave. (I’m talking one day longer without a job and I would have had to leave.)

Please people just be realistic about how much it will cost you to set up a new life half way around the world. Don’t end up wasting thousands of euro on what will end up to be just a bad stressful holiday by not waiting and saving a bit more before coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You don't need 5k you need access to 5k, which is not the same, a credit card can suffice.

I read you have accommodation sorted - is this short term or for a while.
    As if you move in somewhere you can easily spend $500-$1000 just on bond+rent.

I would say 2k is cutting it very very close. Just don't go out on benders until you have a job sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

flids.utd wrote: »
    The one way ticket could be a problem, your meant to have a return ticket or an onward travel ticket entering the country, so you may have to change your booked ticket.
    No you aren't.
    There isn't, and never has bee na requirement to have a return ticket booked. I came on a one way ticket, and i've had 3 visas before I made a trip home or left the country (holiday at xmas)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mayostar

Thanks everyone for the replys. I have accommodation with friends for a short term until I find work, I'm going to brisbane so I'm hoping I can find work straight away, partyin etc wil be put on hold until I get a job. I wil literally work at anything to start off with and hopefully find a better job over time. I'm just really worried immigration won't let me through with such little cash(aus$2000) is it mandatory for them to check everyones bank account on arrival?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rph1981

mayostar wrote: »
    I'm just really worried immigration won't let me through with such little cash(aus$2000) is it mandatory for them to check everyones bank account on arrival?

I came last July and I wasn't asked anything about a bank account, so it definitely isn't everybody they check.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Mellor wrote: »
    No you aren't.
    There isn't, and never has bee na requirement to have a return ticket booked. I came on a one way ticket, and i've had 3 visas before I made a trip home or left the country (holiday at xmas)

Well Qantas or someone seem to thinks so.
    I'm a Australian/Irish citizen and when I went in to book flights with my girlfriend back in Ireland she got her ticket there and then, which was a return, while I had to send a copy of my Australian passport to prove I only needed a one way flight. They travel agent was told by qantas or some thirdparty they needed proof I was able to say in Australia.

skipz wrote: »
    I'm a Australian/Irish citizen and when I went in to book flights with my girlfriend back in Ireland she got her ticket there and then, which was a return, while I had to send a copy of my Australian passport to prove I only needed a one way flight. They travel agent was told by qantas or some thirdparty they needed proof I was able to say in Australia.

But you didn't come on a WHV though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Immigration doesn't tell travel agents anything of the sort.
    It's in their interest to sell return tickets, and its certainly not beneath them to lie to get a sale. Just ignore them, just like the visa services they offer, completely in their own interest.

To date I've booked australian flights twice.
    One way to Sydney in 2009 and a Sydney/Dublin/Sydney return last year.
    So twice I've landed in Sydney, and neither time have I had a flight out, nor had to show a visa or anything. Immigration knew both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

hussey wrote: »
    But you didn't come on a WHV though?

Yes no WHV, but what has that got to do with it? Thats like me leaving Australia and been asked do I have a visa for Ireland, wont happen.

I did find it quite strange that my gf could get a flight to Australia while I wasnt able to get a flight until my Australian passport was checked out.

Yes no WHV, but what has that got to do with it? Thats like me leaving Australia and been asked do I have a visa for Ireland, wont happen.

I did find it quite strange that my gf could get a flight to Australia while I wasnt able to get a flight until my Australian passport was checked out.

Ah okay, maybe *pure speculation* the airline assumed you had a holiday visa (not WHV) and you need a return flight for that.

When I flew to vietnam I needed to show my Visa and proof of return flight to airline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 loueeeeeez

sugar lumps, $2000 wont get u far at all! good luck! Immigration didnt check my bank balance or return ticket when i was coming into Oz i think its more of a random check thing! you need to be seriously unlucky to get checked. As for the return ticket, I think it would work in your favour but again just say you're planning to do your farming work for a 2nd year visa and that you dont need a return ticket as its only valid for 12 months!

Advertisement