Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tranfer old 8mm recordings to dvd

Options
  • 04-02-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Folks. A friend is transferring his collection of old family recordings from vhs to dvd. I have set him up to do that. Now he tells me he has old 8mm film/tapes that he wants to transfer to dvd as well. These old recordings are of mainly of family events, going back to the early 60s. A lot of these would have a historical significance. I'm not competent to set him up for that type of transfer. I don't want to do anything that might erase/scrub the film:( . Is there a simple solution such ad playing the 8mm film through a tv and then recording that channel on a dvd recorder. What is available to connect an 8mm player/camera to a tv? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If it is all the same format and goes back to the 60's then it is 8mm film, not 8mm tape.

Being film, you can't 'play it back' on a TV. If he has an 8mm film projector and a good screen, the film could be projected and a video of the screen could be made. Not the highest image quality I suspect, but probably the best you would do DIY.

The other alternative is to pay a lab to transfer the film to disc.

Advertisement