Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

learning python

Options
  • 04-02-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

hey everybody

i have not a notion of how to program but i have an intrest in phyton and i know it works well with ubuntu.

so can anybody tell me the name of a book to learn python? starting with the very basics of programing...

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Thanks, Book looks good , ill have a read...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

bpb101 wrote: »
    Thanks, Book looks good , ill have a read...

I would then move onto the actual python wiki and then the documentation for reference when you get into the actual code properly.

After you know the basics these google videos are excellent - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKTZoB2Vjuk&ob=av3e

vid's look good , i would hope to do computer sciences after my leaving cert (in 5th year)and would like to have some knowledge in a computer language ,even though i know it will start presuming nobody has a clue how to program

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Smithy2306

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-Dawson/dp/1435455002/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329304478&sr=8-1

Great book, and got me into Python. Beware though, the online resources have been taken down by the publisher for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭raher1

How do you find Phyton now?

Sonye wrote: »
    How do you find Phyton now?
    Tbh - well i printed off the book mention above and well i never realy got started , I am trying to fit the leaving cert(13) around it and after mid term i hadn't got the time for it but i do want to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

If you're intending on doing computer science, I would start learning C and then move on to an object orientated language such as Java or C++.

CS degrees will focus on a combination of some or all of the above so having some experience from the outset will make life significantly easier for you, especially having good object orientated fundamentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

If you're intending on doing computer science, I would start learning C and then move on to an object orientated language such as Java or C++.

CS degrees will focus on a combination of some or all of the above so having some experience from the outset will make life significantly easier for you, especially having good object orientated fundamentals.

I'd disagree slightly with this advice.

C is a pretty clean language.
    For a highly motivated beginner, with a lot of time, maybe it would be a good place to start.

But, if there isn't a lot of time available, C might require such a large investment before you see outcomes, that you might run out of time and motivation. It takes a long time to accomplish stuff in C, as a beginner.

I would advise beginners stay away from C++ for quite a while; its powerful, but its a mess.

I wouldn't worry too much about the object oriented stuff at the start.

Python is a pretty good language to start off with, these days, I think.

Advertisement