Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use my iPhone sim in iPad without incurring tether charge?

Options
  • 04-02-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Question is in the title. If I tether my iPad2 from my iPhone4 I get charged for tethering even though I have plenty of data allowance left in my Vodafone bundle. So, if I use the iPhone sim in the iPad will it still behave as if the phone is utilising it's data allowance or will it connect to a different apn and get me charged for tethering?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Alatar wrote: »
    Question is in the title. If I tether my iPad2 from my iPhone4 I get charged for tethering even though I have plenty of data allowance left in my Vodafone bundle. So, if I use the iPhone sim in the iPad will it still behave as if the phone is utilising it's data allowance or will it connect to a different apn and get me charged for tethering?

Any help appreciated!

There will be no charge if you simply place it in iPad for the duration. You can check the APN in settings/network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

An alternative way of doing it would be to jailbreak, and install MyWi from Cydia. You can tether without incurring tether charges this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Do Vodaphone charge for sharing your phone internet connection with your iPad?

How can they change when you great a personal hotspot and use that to connect to the internet using that via wi-fi? How can they tell the difference?

Or are you using another method?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Vodafone no longer charge for tethering for users that are bill pay customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Do Vodaphone charge for sharing your phone internet connection with your iPad?

How can they change when you great a personal hotspot and use that to connect to the internet using that via wi-fi? How can they tell the difference?

Or are you using another method?
    there's a different apn used for tethering so that's how they know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

guil wrote: »
    there's a different apn used for tethering so that's how they know

Thanks, good to know.

Thanks, good to know.

They use live.vodafone.com for regular browsing on the phone. The Personal Hotspot uses office.vodafone.ie. It doesn't make much of a difference anymore as they no longer charge extra to bill pay users for tethering.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

is this true, is it not just for iphone 4s users?
    when did they stop charging for tethering?

is this true, is it not just for iphone 4s users?
    when did they stop charging for tethering?

It was announced on here in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

What about ready to go customers??.

I pay the 30 euro offer to get free calls and texts to Vodafone and also get a 250mb packet of Internet data for the month.

Will I get charged for tethering to my iPad from iPhone 4s???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

BanjoB wrote: »
    What about ready to go customers??.

I pay the 30 euro offer to get free calls and texts to Vodafone and also get a 250mb packet of Internet data for the month.

Will I get charged for tethering to my iPad from iPhone 4s???

If I were you, I would switch to the International bundle.

You still pay 30€. You get free calls/SMS to other Vodafone subs and 180 free international minutes a month plus 600 international/domestic webtexts.

Now, take that 30€ credit and use 20€ of it to get 5Gb of data per month by buying a bundle in extras, leaving you with 10€ for calls to other nets.

Change the APN in the phone to hs.vodafone.ie.

Tether away.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Alatar

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I made a call to Vodafone and bkehoe is correct. Tethering is now included in the data bundle.

Advertisement