Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIE steam reserve

Options
  • 04-02-2012 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

After about 1960 CIE held some steam locos in reserve in case of emergencies and for things like the Beet Campaigns.

Has anyone any details of what locos these were, where they were stored and how much they were used?

I know 186 was used and possbily 461 so no doubt these were in the best condition.

I think the last were retired in 1965 .

Pictures would be great of course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

I think the last CIE steam workings were those in the 1962/3 beet campaign, with a few surviving on PWD trains, and I am fairly sure they were all of the J15 types like 186.
    After 1963 however, a few were retained as static engines for steam heating any coaching stock, one J15 for example was stabled in the bay platforms at Kent station for this duty, and I presume Inchicore had one too. I suspect they were redundant by 1965 and were subsequently scrapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

As far as I know No.131 (now at Whitehead) ended its days on steam heating duties at Connolly. Perhaps there's a 'strategic' reserve still in Inch? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Interesting, didn't know 131 was used for such a purpose. I know that 461's officially down as being withdrawn in 1965 (seems to not have officially been preserved until 1967, along with 131 and 184), being used for a time as a stationary boiler in Inchicore.

When I read the title I was expecting something along the lines of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_steam_reserve

Pinch of salt recommended before digesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I wish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I have visions of all those empty sheds in Inchicore stacked to the rafters with big glass jars full of steam! All marked "In Emergency Break Glass".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

The list of reserve locos is in Irish Steam Locomotive Register (Rowledge) don't have it with me so can't check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i found a list the other day of 4 J15s (naturally) that made up the reserve (lost it again :-) )

Advertisement