Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just got car serviced...I need a new steering column?

Options
  • 04-02-2012 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

05 Opel Tigra 1.4 - I don't know much about cars, but the guy told me that the steering column is starting to act up and it's something that will fail the NCT and only get worse. I'm a relatively new driver and haven't noticed anything with the steering, but that could be down to my inexperience.

I can't afford to get much work done on the car (made redundant last month) and I need to get a second opinion, but thought I might ask here if anyone can give me advice on how to deal with this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

decimal wrote: »
    05 Opel Tigra 1.4 - I don't know much about cars, but the guy told me that the steering column is starting to act up and it's something that will fail the NCT and only get worse. I'm a relatively new driver and haven't noticed anything with the steering, but that could be down to my inexperience.

I can't afford to get much work done on the car (made redundant last month) and I need to get a second opinion, but thought I might ask here if anyone can give me advice on how to deal with this...

Is the NCT due soon? if i t was i'd put it through and see what it fails on.If not and you are worried or it's playing on your mind get a second opinion from a good mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

The NCT is due this time next year, is there any danger to leave it for a while? Will a problem arise over time, or could the steering just give up on the middel of the road? I'm skint at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

decimal wrote: »
    The NCT is due this time next year, is there any danger to leave it for a while? Will a problem arise over time, or could the steering just give up on the middel of the road? I'm skint at the moment :(

I feel for you,but it would be absolutely impossible to diagnose something like that over the internet - especially considering i'm not even a mechanic :D

There is no point in worrying yourself into a state over an unknown though is there? For peace of mind find a good mechanic and get a second opinion.What part of the country are you in? it might help people on here recommend someone.

Keep the chin up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

Thanks, I'm from Waterford city. I'll start asking about for a good mechanic, the place that serviced it said i need 4 new tires and new brake pads, I'm trying to avoid as much expense at the moment without causing an accident. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tossy wrote: »
    Is the NCT due soon? if i t was i'd put it through and see what it fails on..

You know its perfectly acceptable to perform maintainance on your car even if its not going for an NCT?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 astrella

My brother was told the same problem is with his tigra about 4 weeks ago. Brakes and steering column after a routine service. Maybe this could be a problem with them. Came across this tread while researching the problem the quote for the repairs was over a grand- he cant afford that. By any chance are your foot wells wet after it rains

Advertisement