Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Cues

Options
  • 04-02-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Who knows about snooker cues. Was think of buying one rather than using the crooked ones at the club. Get a kick every second shot.

So who knows what is the best wood, lenght, weight. Or what are the ranges you can get. I'm a fella. Like a light cue (what onz is light). I'm a leftie if that matters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭kk09

Anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Esox Lucias

I was looking for a spare snooker cue myself the other week. Bit timid playing snooker with my 8mm tip.

Went onto adverts and seen a good few decent cues there ranging from €40 to €90. Most with hard cases and a long or short extension too.

If there are any sellers in your area best bet would be to arrange a meet up and see how the cue feels for you. Its a very personal thing, couldn't really advise you on the "best" one to get.

Hope this is some help.

Happy snookering.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just be sure not to buy a right handed one.

mickdw wrote: »
    Just be sure not to buy a right handed one.

Too late. It must be right handed cos it ****e. :) I'm not that slow but I dont see many lefties around so just said would mention it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

kk09 wrote: »
    Who knows about snooker cues. Was think of buying one rather than using the crooked ones at the club. Get a kick every second shot.

So who knows what is the best wood, lenght, weight. Or what are the ranges you can get. I'm a fella. Like a light cue (what onz is light). I'm a leftie if that matters?

If your a beginner your best bet is to buy a two piece cue, best place to go in Dublin would be to Rileys opp the Abbey Theatre.
    You could pick one up for around €50 and that would include a case as well.
    Average weight would be around 17oz.
    If your a more serious player and you play a bit you may want to buy a one piece, more of a range for weight length etc but are more expensive.

And one more thing, getting a kick has absolutely nothing to do with what type of cue you use or have played with.

• Advertisement

zack01 wrote: »

If your a beginner your best bet is to buy a two piece cue, best place to go in Dublin would be to Rileys opp the Abbey Theatre.
    You could pick one up for around €50 and that would include a case as well.
    Average weight would be around 17oz.
    If your a more serious player and you play a bit you may want to buy a one piece, more of a range for weight length etc but are more expensive.

And one more thing, getting a kick has absolutely nothing to do with what type of cue you use or have played with.

At the club where i play ive been give curved cues and cue which are not made straight. They roll like they are half full of water. Seem to kick alot more with these cues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

At the club where i play ive been give curved cues and cue which are not made straight. They roll like they are half full of water. Seem to kick alot more with these cues.

Absolute nonsense, you could play with a broom handle and that still will not be the reason you get kicks.
    Kicks are when chalk or dust or some other foreign object are on either the cue ball or object ball, when the balls come into contact the foreign object cause the kick. Static picked up from cloths has also been known to cause kicks as has atmospheric conditions ie dampness or humidity in the air.
    Whatever cue you use no matter what the tip or warp is like will not cause kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭darrenmcc

zack01 wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense, you could play with a broom handle and that still will not be the reason you get kicks.
    Kicks are when chalk or dust or some other foreign object are on either the cue ball or object ball, when the balls come into contact the foreign object cause the kick. Static picked up from cloths has also been known to cause kicks as has atmospheric conditions ie dampness or humidity in the air.
    Whatever cue you use no matter what the tip or warp is like will not cause kicks.

this is true.
    I used to play for a Rileys team in scotland, and played in tournaments every thursday in different clubs and on different tables. kicks would happen all the time, but the only thing to help it not happen so often, was to give the balls and the table a good clean , brush and iron.

i havent played snooker for aout a year or so, still have my cue, spent £120 plus £60 for the case, re-tipped it with buffalo tips.

i'll be moving to Clondalkin next week if anyone's about for a few games at a near-by club. Would let ppl who are serious have a shot of the cue to get a feel for it.

best thing i would recommend tho, is to get a half and half 2-peice que, start of and see how u get on, if your sticking to the game and want to get a bit more serious than "playing with a few drinks", then i'd look at gettin a better cue. Would always recommend getting a cue that has an 8mm tip, however, AFAIK, most of the cue's that are sold, come with plastic, crap tips. you can buy better tips seperatly, and i'd imagine someone at a snooker club could fit the new tip for you and shape it.

I done my own but I doubt i'd feel comfortable doing someone else's since i last done my when i got my que, about 4-5 years ago

hope that helps

Darren

Where would you play near Clondalkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭darrenmcc

Where would you play near Clondalkin?
    i drove past somewhere behind the mcdonalds at the mill carpark. think its called Q's or something? could be wrong. dont know what its like or anything as i aint played for months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

darrenmcc wrote: »
    i drove past somewhere behind the mcdonalds at the mill carpark. think its called Q's or something? could be wrong. dont know what its like or anything as i aint played for months

yeah mate, it is Q´s

Its alright, there is a good few tables there. maybe you might think its crap tho haha.

I havent been there in ages, but it is a tenner for an hour, half price before 6

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HITMANHEALY

I have a lovely cue if anyone is interested, not sure of the weight, english handmade cue with steel case, comes with 2 extensions, well worth the look, dont have time to play no more. OM me if interested, 80 Euros for the lot

Bought a cue with an 8mm tip and could not use it, played about 4 frames with it and was not even getting close to the holes. So changes to a club cue and instantly started potting.

So went to Argos and bought a riley moderno cue for €35 odd with a soft case and hole for extension - getting on great with this cue and well happy.

I'm sure the cue with the 8mm tip is fine but would take alot, alot of getting used to and is definately not very forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Bought a cue with an 8mm tip and could not use it, played about 4 frames with it and was not even getting close to the holes. So changes to a club cue and instantly started potting.

So went to Argos and bought a riley moderno cue for €35 odd with a soft case and hole for extension - getting on great with this cue and well happy.

I'm sure the cue with the 8mm tip is fine but would take alot, alot of getting used to and is definately not very forgiving.

8mm might be ok for euro style pool but too small imo for snooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Holy Diver wrote: »
    8mm might be ok for euro style pool but too small imo for snooker.

Not too small IMO, but if you aren't cueing well, it will make things worse!

Advertisement