Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in Brisbane

Options
  • 04-02-2012 7:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi all,

Felling very down these days as I cannot sem to get a steady job anywhere!!! I have been replying to adverts on gumtree and seek, and going round handing out cvs all over the place for 3 months with no luck! Other friends that are in Perth seem to have no trouble getting jobs. i have plenty experience in bars, waitressing, kitchen hand etc all which are on my resume but very rarely hear anything back....

If anyone could give me any advice it would be much appreciated. I have been borrowing money from my boyfriend to live, who is also out here but it is starting to put a serious strain on our relationship as it feels like I will never work. He is a great guy but things are sometimes tense because he thinks sometimes that I am not trying because I haven't gotten anything yet even though I try to assure him that I am trying so hard.

I am feeling very depressed and down at th moment so any help/advice would be much appreciated!!

Cheers :-)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

No real advice for you but hang in there, keep up communication with him, blokes like being explained things very basically and often, after all we are half simple creatures.

What sort of work are you looking for and where???

Have you thought about joining a sports club for yourself, when i was playing for the Shamrocks Gaelic team (10+ years ago) they had a Girls team that had a ball, will give you a chance to make you own friends

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭silasrat

they had a Girls team that had a ball,
    sorry but thats hilarious,good luck with the job search,fingers crossed for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

silasrat wrote: »
    they had a Girls team that had a ball,

Sorry, forgot the S at the end, i tend to do those things first thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

nivian wrote: »
    hi all,

Felling very down these days as I cannot sem to get a steady job anywhere!!! I have been replying to adverts on gumtree and seek, and going round handing out cvs all over the place for 3 months with no luck! Other friends that are in Perth seem to have no trouble getting jobs. i have plenty experience in bars, waitressing, kitchen hand etc all which are on my resume but very rarely hear anything back....

I am feeling very depressed and down at th moment so any help/advice would be much appreciated!!

Cheers :-)

Hey Nivian

I'm working as a restaurant supervisor in Melbourne so the advice i'd give to finding work in hospitality in Australia is:

If you haven't got really good experience - make it up. Put down that you worked in Michelin starred restaurants or something along those lines. The reason I say this is that hundreds of people will apply for restaurant/bar work on job sites. Try and make your CV stand out because if it doesn't it will just get lost among all the others

For me personally I don't care what experience a waiter/barman has, as long as they are good what their CV says is irrelevant. For example I got my flatmate a job in our restaurant. She has hardly any experience but she is brilliant.. Compare this to an Aussie bloke we hired 2 weeks ago. His CV is sh1t hot but he is an absolute spoofer! No good at all! So use any means necessary to get your foot in the door y'know? If you impress them on your trial shift you'll get the job

Also Brisbane hasn't got the same restaurant/bar scene as Melbourne and Sydney so if you can't find work maybe you guys should think about coming down the coast? If your ever in Melbourne and looking for work send me your CV and I'll make sure our restaurant manager sees it. We're (The Olsen hotel) always looking for staff!

Have you tried contacting the hospitality recruitment agencies? Not sure about Brisbane but the ones I know of in Melbourne (Octopus, Pinnacle, Peter Rowland etc) are always looking for staff and will hire any one!

Advertisement