Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ccna home kits on ebay

Options
  • 03-02-2012 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

Has anyone bought them and if so what do you think.
    Are they worth the price or can i get them cheaper elsewhere?
    How easy are they to sell on when you're finished using them?

kits 380 euros

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Eoghan25

Hi,
    I am doing the ccie at the moment i bought refurb kit of ebay from the seller ITGL
    http://www.itelligentsia.com/. Can not recommend them enough. The full kit of 15 routers/multilayer switches came in a week. One of the routers in the kit came with the wrong ram installed i sent him an email
    he could not apologise enough and he told me to keep the router for spare parts and sent me a brand new unopened router within a week. If your buying i defiently check them out. That link you sent your looking at the US the kit is cheaper over there but cost a fortune to ship to ireland.

The reason i said if your buying realistically i only bought lab gear when i started the ccie. You can go along way with gns3 just google it if your not familar with it. Also checkout www.packetlife.net they run a free community lab where you can book slots aand go on there lab. They have decent gear on it aswell. Id recommend gns3 for layer 3 ospf,eigrp,rip etc and packetlife for doing your layer 2 spanning tree etc

Both of them should see you well through your studies.

All the best

Eoghan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭pacquiao

Eoghan25 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am doing the ccie at the moment i bought refurb kit of ebay from the seller ITGL
    http://www.itelligentsia.com/. Can not recommend them enough. The full kit of 15 routers/multilayer switches came in a week. One of the routers in the kit came with the wrong ram installed i sent him an email
    he could not apologise enough and he told me to keep the router for spare parts and sent me a brand new unopened router within a week. If your buying i defiently check them out. That link you sent your looking at the US the kit is cheaper over there but cost a fortune to ship to ireland.

The reason i said if your buying realistically i only bought lab gear when i started the ccie. You can go along way with gns3 just google it if your not familar with it. Also checkout www.packetlife.net they run a free community lab where you can book slots aand go on there lab. They have decent gear on it aswell. Id recommend gns3 for layer 3 ospf,eigrp,rip etc and packetlife for doing your layer 2 spanning tree etc

Both of them should see you well through your studies.

All the best

Eoghan

That's a very good recommendation. CCIE you should be proud :)
    I had a look at their ebay page. 100% feedback nice.
    Would this be what i need?

here

So you never bought gear to do your ccna? I'm not sure i could get the same feel for it without it. I'll check out those links. I need all the help i can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Im doing the CCNA at the minute and am just using cisco packet tracer.

Really useful tool that lets you build virtual networks and use the CLI to configure that switches and routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Eoghan25

That gear that should be fine for CCNA you got your 2 switches there for your spanning-tree

labs and you have 3 routers for your routing protocol labs. It would not do you for CCNP

though if your thinking that way. If your sure you want to get a lab Talk to the guys at ITGL

give them a call i found them very straight not trying the hard sell.THe guy that owns it is

a full CCIE not wannabe like me. You might want to think about the future of your lab how you

would expand into CCNP lab if you think you might do that track also he could give you good

advice on this.

CCNA is tough no doubt any cisco exams are. But thats what makes them worth it. My advice is

make sure you have your subnetting down so you can do it quickly. I failed my ccna first time

around because i ran out of time. I found the exam quiet tight on time i done it 3 yrs ago

but even CCNP exams were like that. So any time consuming process like subnetting,

summarisation you need to be fast at you do not want to burn too much time on them.

FOr studying if you could get your hands on a CBT Nuggets with Jermey Cioara his the man he

is so good at explaining the most complicated topics and making them simple. If you replicate

the scenerios he does in your lab then backup with a read through the CCNA official press.

You will fly through it. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

For the CCNP and CCNA you would pick up a better deal off of adverts. Although, using GNS3 and packet tracer you can do most of the labs, enough to become comfortable with all the needed commands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

For the CCNP and CCNA you would pick up a better deal off of adverts. Although, using GNS3 and packet tracer you can do most of the labs, enough to become comfortable with all the needed commands.

Even for CCNP do you think? I've just passed my CCNA using both Packet Tracer and GNS3 and they were more than adequate.

I plan on continuing with CCNP, but I was of the opinion that real hardware is the only route rather than PT/GNS3.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm heading down another path at the moment but was told that the CCNP R&S was more then doable with only GNS3 for labs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Hi,
    I am doing the ccie at the moment

Fair play to you Eoghan25, can you book CCIE test in Ireland? did you do CCNP in Ireland?

sorry to hijack the thread Im doing CCNA soon and want to keep going up the cisco ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Kerry_2008

Hi All,

Just started doing my ccna on line and hope to move up the ladder after. Can someone point me in the direction of equipment I need for the labs? Any advice is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Kerry_2008 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just started doing my ccna on line and hope to move up the ladder after. Can someone point me in the direction of equipment I need for the labs? Any advice is appreciated.

Packet tracer is more than enough for the CCNA. GNS3 is also good for routing & Firewall (ASA) practice but that's beyond the CCNA.

If you really want to purchase some real hardware check out adverts.ie. L2 switches for the CCNA are relativity cheap these days but keep in mind you would need to upgrade the switches for the CCNP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Don't shoot me; the thread was on the main page!
    FOr studying if you could get your hands on a CBT Nuggets with Jermey Cioara his the man he is so good at explaining the most complicated topics and making them simple.
    On this; could anyone recommend a good video tutorial on CCNA? I've seen a lot of videos on how to pass the exam, but I don't see the point in them until I've some grasp on the modules themselves. I'd prefer to learn the base with videos, and then maybe goto the book at a later stage.

the_syco wrote: »
    Don't shoot me; the thread was on the main page!

On this; could anyone recommend a good video tutorial on CCNA? I've seen a lot of videos on how to pass the exam, but I don't see the point in them until I've some grasp on the modules themselves. I'd prefer to learn the base with videos, and then maybe goto the book at a later stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGez1WzTOss

T-K-O wrote: »
    From a quick flick through the video, the only way forward is to read books? There is no way that there is a series that explains the CCNA to me (the layers, etc) in video format?

From a quick flick through the video, the only way forward is to read books? There is no way that there is a series that explains the CCNA to me (the layers, etc) in video format?

There is another ~ 20 videos on that channel covering every topic on the CCNA. More than enough to get you started.

A bit of advice. If you really want to learn the material there are no shortcuts.

Videos on how to pass the exam? Forget them, hit the books

Watch the video, read the corresponding chapter and lab lab lab.

when you eventually sit the exam. On the top of the page provided jot down the following

1. copy run start - this will remind you to save the config during the sim questions. Easy you say but forgetting to save = Fail

2. 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
    Once you master binary that is all you need, CBT have a really good 3 step process you should look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Defo pick up the Official Certificat Guide and the CBT nugget videos. Yes they are geared towards the exams but you will learn a hell of a lot along the way. Subnetting, OSI model, routing protocols, troubleshooting techniques... it's worth it and after I got it, it was hella easy to move jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

A bit of advice. If you really want to learn the material there are no shortcuts.

when you eventually sit the exam. On the top of the page provided jot down the following

1. copy run start - this will remind you to save the config during the sim questions. Easy you say but forgetting to save = Fail

2. 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
    Once you master binary that is all you need, CBT have a really good 3 step process you should look it up.

I heard good things about Chris Bryants CCNA series on Udemy. I picked up his CCNA Sec series this morning for $19, though the R+S is more expensive

2. 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

I heard good things about Chris Bryants CCNA series on Udemy. I picked up his CCNA Sec series this morning for $19, though the R+S is more expensive

2. 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

Most of the videos online are about how to pass the exam, but I'm looking for videos about the layers. From a brief encounter with Cisco nearly a decade ago in ITC, I know there's a lot more than just what is shown in the "how to pass the exam" bits. Also, although I love reading fiction, not so great at reading text. With fiction, allowing the mind to wander allows me to enjoy the book. With technical books the mind generally wanders away from the subject at hand. Thus I want to learn about the theory via videos.
    Most of the videos that I've seen either assume you know what the commands do, or don't deem it important to tell you, and as such are a bit useless to me.
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    Defo pick up the Official Certificat Guide and the CBT nugget videos. Yes they are geared towards the exams but you will learn a hell of a lot along the way. Subnetting, OSI model, routing protocols, troubleshooting techniques... it's worth it and after I got it, it was hella easy to move jobs.
    I'll check the official cert guide for the labs. Regarding the CBT Nugget videos; I can get my hands on a lend of some of the videos, but there are so many, and not all that sure which ones to start on.

I'm hoping to start with the theory side of things first, and then start on the commands in labs. Planning on an hour a day after work, so shall see how it goes.
    There is another ~ 20 videos on that channel covering every topic on the CCNA. More than enough to get you started.
    Ah. Totally missed the playlist. Cheers. This looks like the sort of videos that I'm looking for :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Start from video 1 :)

Edit: Not trying to be smart. When you watch them first time, so some of the stuff might not sink in till the 2nd time you watch them.

Krusader wrote: »

Bryant is good but IMO there is not much between CBT, INE, Bryant. If you can go through them all.

Most of the videos online are about how to pass the exam, but I'm looking for videos about the layers. From a brief encounter with Cisco nearly a decade ago in ITC, I know there's a lot more than just what is shown in the "how to pass the exam" bits. Also, although I love reading fiction, not so great at reading text. With fiction, allowing the mind to wander allows me to enjoy the book. With technical books the mind generally wanders away from the subject at hand. Thus I want to learn about the theory via videos.

Not necessarily, those guys cover a lot in the videos. I often find myself going back over certain topics. If I was you, read first when the mind is sharp, then watch & lab.
    Most of the videos that I've seen either assume you know what the commands do, or don't deem it important to tell you, and as such are a bit useless to me.

You're starting point is wrong, as Kinetic stated. Start at the beginning and build your knowledge.
    I'll check the official cert guide for the labs. Regarding the CBT Nugget videos; I can get my hands on a lend of some of the videos, but there are so many, and not all that sure which ones to start on.

I'm hoping to start with the theory side of things first, and then start on the commands in labs. Planning on an hour a day after work, so shall see how it goes.

Labbing will help you remember the theory. Personally I find it difficult to retain the information without labs.
    Ah. Totally missed the playlist. Cheers. This looks like the sort of videos that I'm looking for :)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Krusader wrote: »
    I heard good things about Chris Bryants CCNA series on Udemy

I used his old Train Signal course for CCNP back in the day and found him very good.

Advertisement