Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Lanes Open in London.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

vektarman wrote: »
    I see the bus lanes in London are now open to motorbikes, any chance of it happening in Ireland?
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/redroutes/10151.aspx

They are already. Just don't tell the politicians or they'll pass a law to make it illegal;)

Don't take the p!ss and the Gardaí usually don't care.

The odd one may stop you, usually a new cop but there aren't going to be any of them for a while, politely explain that you've driven past hundreds of cops while driving in the bus lane so why are you making me drive in a more dangerous road position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Del2005 wrote: »
    They are already. Just don't tell the politicians or they'll pass a law to make it illegal;)

Don't take the p!ss and the Gardaí usually don't care.

The odd one may stop you, usually a new cop but there aren't going to be any of them for a while, politely explain that you've driven past hundreds of cops while driving in the bus lane so why are you making me drive in a more dangerous road position.

Pretty much this. I don't mind it too much, as long as you don't rip the piss they don't care. I'd say things would get much worse here if it was made legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Pretty much this. I don't mind it too much, as long as you don't rip the piss they don't care. I'd say things would get much worse here if it was made legal.

It's not going to happen. MAG Ireland met with Minister for Transport Dr. Leo Varadkar before the Christmas there and he was dead set against it. It should be legal, but the "powers that be" prefer to bury their heads in the sand.

I'll be getting back into biking soon and the bus lanes on my route into town look thousands of times safer than the regular lanes. I don't fancy getting any points at the same time, does anyone know of a biker who has actually gotten points for using the bus lane?

Been driving down one for three years that generally has at least one officer somewhere pulling in cars every morning. Was pulled in once, let go once he had ticketed the cars with a wave on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Likewise I use the N11 in the mornings. Never been stopped yet, most mornings there are cops pulling in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

I contacted Noel Brett of the rsa to ask him that question.. He said there was a lot of objections from the councils. Don't know why that would be. He said they constantly review it. This was prior to the results from the Brits

The wife drives me into work a couple of times a month and a lot of the bikers are using the N3 bus lane. Sometimes they've been riding alongside the Gardaí too.

baz8080 wrote: »
    The wife drives me into work a couple of times a month and a lot of the bikers are using the N3 bus lane. Sometimes they've been riding alongside the Gardaí too.

I've passed out Gardai in the bus lane at the lights. :) . I've also openly given a statement to the gardai admitting to driving in the bus lane due to a road rage incident without any repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Few years ago the transport minister supported it but those upstanding policy makers in dublin city council rejected it. AA supports it also. Have never been stopped using the lane and on one ocassion an un marked garda car driving in the bus lane moved over to the left to let me pass. I find if ur not taking the P then guards dont mind. Would be nice for the current minister to grow some balls and bring in changes to allow it but doubt that will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Handy for me as I'll be moving to London in a few months probably :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I use the Claregalway bus lanes twice daily since they opened four years ago and have never been stopped or seen a bike stopped for using them.

The sooner bikes get authorisation to use them the better as it is so much safer than filtering on the outside of a lane of cars.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Makes no real difference, we basically can do it here. The bike lobby are dead against it being official for some reason, and the bike lobby is far more important to the government than the motorbike one.
    When it came up before there was a big thread on the cycling forum and I don't think one cyclist had a problem with it.
    But we've all driven past countless checkpoints, I've never heard of anyone being done for it. Drove behind a garda van along a buslane an hour and a half ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

I use em all the time, never a bother. Just do be careful in them, due to them generally being more vacant then other lanes, I dont think people (on foot, on bikes, in cars) give the same amount of consideration entering them

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I'll be getting back into biking soon and the bus lanes on my route into town look thousands of times safer than the regular lanes. I don't fancy getting any points at the same time, does anyone know of a biker who has actually gotten points for using the bus lane?

Far as I know, driving in bus lane isnt a points offense. its an 80 quid fine though. That said, only if the get ya. Visor down face forward and keep going if they try wave you down for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

I'm one of those, be nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

If cyclists can use the bus lane then why not bikes, safer all round. Feckin things are empty 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Used them years ago in Dublin for about 3 years. Malahide road into college green. Only ever stopped once but waived on.

I found them safer to a point. Some sections in Marino are mad with taxis and busses pulling in and out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

Far as I know, driving in bus lane isnt a points offense. its an 80 quid fine though. That said, only if the get ya. Visor down face forward and keep going if they try wave you down for it

:D I usually wipe the visor too when passing by them

Fiskar wrote: »
    I'm one of those, be nice :D

I will :D Planning on being one of the N3 bus-lane riders in a couple of months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

Nah, it's a €60 fine.

Failure to stop for a cop carries 2 points and €80 fine. Take your chances:D

Advertisement