Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen to Replace Freddie with some guy from American Idol

Options
  • 03-02-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

American Idol winner Adam Lambert is rumoured to be joining Queen as their new vocalist for a tour rumoured for this summer.

Lambert teamed up with the band at the EMAs to perform Queen classics 'The Show Must Go On' and 'We Are The Champions' and reportedly impressed Queen so much that they're considering him for a more full time position within the group.

Lambert said: "After the EMAs, I heard faint little slithers of backlash from people saying: 'You can't replace Freddie Mercury.' But I already knew that. There's no intention in my mind of replacing Freddie. That's impossible. The way I'm choosing to view it is that it's a great honour and one I'm in no way going to shirk."

Link

I'm losing more and more respect for May and Taylor as time goes on.

Just let it be, Move on and stop trying to resurrect something irreplaceable,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

there replacing "a gay" with "a gay"? Seems logical

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Scram wrote: »
    there replacing "a gay" with "a gay"? Seems logical

true, and I guess he's flamboyant enough (not sure how he will sound live).

Well, Freddie Mercury can't be replaced and the same applies for other bands too - the likes of INXS, Doors etc.
    But if they want to do it, fine by me. I mean, I have never actually seen Freddie Mercury perform live except for DVDs/Videos, but still it would be different listening to the songs from someone else.
    That said, I think Brian May is a superb guitarist

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Irish Aris wrote: »
    true, and I guess he's flamboyant enough (not sure how he will sound live).

Well, Freddie Mercury can't be replaced and the same applies for other bands too - the likes of INXS, Doors etc.
    But if they want to do it, fine by me. I mean, I have never actually seen Freddie Mercury perform live except for DVDs/Videos, but still it would be different listening to the songs from someone else.
    That said, I think Brian May is a superb guitarist

No doubt, its a strange one alright but at least people get to see and experience the other members of the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Scram wrote: »
    No doubt, its a strange one alright but at least people get to see and experience the other members of the band.

Yes, and also May is probably doing this because he's helping to admit the biggest, most important fact of all....that music is bigger then the mortal men involved, and in 10 years May won't be able to perform AT ALL...so he might as well get out and give the world what he wants. Plus, what other band which has lost its original vocalist 20 years ago gets to headline Knebworth 40 years after the band was founded?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The lead singer of Keane is the only one I've seen do justice to a Queen song since Feddies death. I'd probably go and see them if he was on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

adox wrote: »
    The lead singer of Keane is the only one I've seen do justice to a Queen song since Feddies death. I'd probably go and see them if he was on board.

George Michael has covered a few Queen tracks and sounded bloody good. Heard Mika covering some of the 70's stuff and he sounded good as well, but I don't think he could handle some of Rockier stuff anywhere near as well as Freddie.

As for Lambert, have no idea what he would sound like fronting Queen. I am not overly keen on him based on what I can find of him online, but maybe he has the range to surprise folk and do a good job with Queen's music.

There will never be another Freddie, but Queen's music coupled with a singer who can do even 50% of what Freddie could would be a good live listen imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Freddie Nelson would have been a good man to get on board (although I'm firmly in the "what's the point without Freddie Mercury?" camp). He did a collaboration with Paul Gilbert and has also done some Queen covers, but I guess he's too much of an "unknown" to get in:

Heres the Tom Chaplin one I was talking about:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

They did this before with Paul Rodgers and there was a huge Freddie Mercury size gap at the front of the stage. At least Deacon still has his intregrity.

Have they made bad investments or can they not keep funding their lifestyles on past record sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

In fairness to Tom from Keane, the first time I heard that performance I closed my eyes and at times it really did sound like Freddie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Kess73 wrote: »
    George Michael has covered a few Queen tracks and sounded bloody good. Heard Mika covering some of the 70's stuff and he sounded good as well, but I don't think he could handle some of Rockier stuff anywhere near as well as Freddie.

As for Lambert, have no idea what he would sound like fronting Queen. I am not overly keen on him based on what I can find of him online, but maybe he has the range to surprise folk and do a good job with Queen's music.

There will never be another Freddie, but Queen's music coupled with a singer who can do even 50% of what Freddie could would be a good live listen imho.
    that sounds like it would work

Of course Hetfield did a great version of Stone Cold Crazy with them but that song was really specifically suited to his vocal style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

That's really good!

That performance was excellent, but just a small correction for Brian

A version of 'It's A Hard Life' was performed live in Rio in 1985 and on their tour of Japan and is now on the second disc of the special edition of the 2011 remastered version of The Works

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

I thought this guy was picked and was meant to be touring with them, he sounds amazing

D1976 wrote: »
    I thought this guy was picked and was meant to be touring with them, he sounds amazing

He was a favorite for the tribute band that Roger Taylor was supposed to be setting up to tour America last year. Haven't heard much beyond the original auditions but I assume the band will be touring to some description.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Love queen but its time to call it a day.
    By all means tour under another guise or whatever, I didn't like the Paul Rodgers thing so not going to like this either.

I was offered a free ticket to the Paul Rodgers gig in Dublin with a chance to meet Brian as a mate is related to him (ex inlaw) and declined.
    Kind of sorry as it would have been great to meet him but I am not into the whole new singer thing with bands.
    I'm also a big country fan but won't be going to see them for the same reason.

The only 2 singers I have heard doing justice to Freddie's voice are George Michael and Gary Cherone from Extreme.
    I wouldn't be a big fan of Cherone and joining Van Halen was a disaster but he was great at the tribute gig for Freddie.

Honourable mention to Seal's rendition of Who wants to live forever, which was amazing apart from him singing it too fast...

sham69 wrote: »
    I was offered a free ticket to the Paul Rodgers gig in Dublin with a chance to meet Brian as a mate is related to him (ex inlaw) and declined.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I got an autograph though....:D
    I actually missed 2 opportunities to meet him, on the last night of we will rock you in the O2, Brian and rog turned up, I could have gotten back stage and all but again declined.
    Next time they play i am guaranteed a meet so won't be so quick to turn it down...

I got an autograph though....:D

Well that's cool
    I actually missed 2 opportunities to meet him, on the last night of we will rock you in the O2, Brian and rog turned up, I could have gotten back stage and all but again declined.

Oh no, that's it....

reet-triple-facepalm.jpg

There is a quadruple one but I won't bother :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

of course not a man but Patti Russo has covered some queen songs brilliantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/84169/Queen-Global-Icon-Award-Adam-Lambert-MTV-EMA-2011/

Video of Adam Lambert & Queen performing last November at the EMA's - Show Must Go On/We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions Medley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I wish they'd just let it be. Freddie is gone and will never be forgotten, so do we need Queen karaoke?
    I don't mind bands doing cover versions, but this will be Queen doing Queen covers.

Just leave it!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

RonMexico wrote: »
    http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/84169/Queen-Global-Icon-Award-Adam-Lambert-MTV-EMA-2011/

Video of Adam Lambert & Queen performing last November at the EMA's - Show Must Go On/We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions Medley.

Uggghhh. Had not heard him sing a Queen song before, but I don't like how his voice sounds on those three songs. Something very annoying and bland about his voice.

The guy in Motley Crue's post has a much better Queen voice and even has a little bit of a resemblance to Freddie if being a Queen cover band is what May/Taylor want to become.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I read somewhere (probably on Blabbermouth) that this rumor is untrue. He is not singing with the band...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

I haven't heard this guy Adam, but seriously Queen replacing Freddie (one of the most iconic rockstars of all time) with someone who won American Idol! I personally think this is a disgrace if Queen are seriously thinking about this. I think no matter how good anybody is Queen shouldn't replace him he made Queen who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Funny thing is he DIDN'T win American idol - because he is a nasely little winey screachy voiced poser!!

Advertisement