Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycles on trains?

Options
  • 03-02-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Anyone know what the story is with bicycles on the trains nowadays? Seen some posts going back to 2007 with some mixed messages from Iranrod Eireann.
    Thinking about cycling in & out of work using either the Hueston-Celbridge or the Connolly-Maynooth/Kilcock line.
    Anyone know if there's an extra charge & if it's implemented or if I can just walk on. Also if there are blackout times for bringing a bike on?

BTW it's a fixed frame bike, not a folding

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Were you looking hard? ;)

http://www.irishrail.ie/Bicycles
    Anyone know what the story is with bicycles on the trains nowadays? Seen some posts going back to 2007 with some mixed messages from Iranrod Eireann.
    Thinking about cycling in & out of work using either the Hueston-Celbridge or the Connolly-Maynooth/Kilcock line.
    Anyone know if there's an extra charge & if it's implemented or if I can just walk on. Also if there are blackout times for bringing a bike on?

BTW it's a fixed frame bike, not a folding

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 julionumero1

yeh saw that link but really wanted to know if they enforce the times & charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

I am sure its enforced because at busy times it would be near impossible for you to get anything that size on the train with it being so busy. People also would'nt be to happy to move just to let a bike on. One way of doing things would be get an extra bike cheap and leave at either end so you can just jump off the train and onto the other bike.

yeh saw that link but really wanted to know if they enforce the times & charges

In other words, you want to travel out of those hours with a bike and not pay for it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I've noticed in the last couple of weeks a number of cyclists with their bikes on the train before 10am - this was on the DART. Could spoil it for those obeying the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 julionumero1

Well I don't want to be the only eejit on the train who's paid for their bike Losty Dublin ;)

Route I was thinking about was the Hueston-Celbridge or Connolly-Kilcock route both of which use the nicer style carriages with a couple of bike racks in each.

Well I don't want to be the only eejit on the train who's paid for their bike Losty Dublin

Or you could be the eejit on the train who is issued a fixed penalty for having his bike on the train when he shouldn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've noticed in the last couple of weeks a number of cyclists with their bikes on the train before 10am - this was on the DART. Could spoil it for those obeying the rules.

A certain level of common sense needs to apply. Taking a bike from Dalkey to Killiney or Sutton to Howth at 8.30am is going to be looked at much more benignly than doing it between from Lansdowne Road to Grand Canal Dock at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Not sure what kind of hours you work, but I've taken my bike a few days now outbound from Park West to Hazelhatch in the morning and the return journey in the evening. These trains are usually close to empty. Because of the short journey, I rarely go to the trouble of trying to manouver it into the bike racks, I just bring it into the 'vestibule' and stay with it to so I can move it out of anyones way as needs be. This may not be acceptable on busier trains but if you're doing a counter commute like me, it should be fine. Ticket inspectors haven't had any problems so far and there is no charge for bringing your bile on the dart and commuter services.

Advertisement