Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish turning Black in parts!

Options
  • 03-02-2012 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have three fish in my tank at home, one largish Goldfish, another smaller Goldfish with kind of googly eyes and a Black Moor.

A while ago, we let the water go pretty manky and they were swimming around in it for a few weeks.

Now, the two Goldfish are turning black in parts, one's tail is completely black and the others sides are darkening.

Do you think this is due to the water being so manky for a while and will the blackened parts turn Gold again?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Black scales on a goldfish are evidence of them healing after an ammonia burn. In one light, it's a bad sign that tells the water was let get very poor, in another it's a good sign since the goldfish is now healing.

Monitor the Ammonia levels in your tank carefully, keep up your water changes (20% a week) and make sure you're using a de-chlorinator and your fish should be fine (assuming other factors such as tank size are okay).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Goldfish turning black is usually ammonia poisoning.

They will heal up if their water quality is kept perfect.

Do you have a water testing kit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

I've no water testing kit I'm afraid. I have been keeping the water clean for a while now and adding something I got in the pet shop that you add to tap water to make it suitable for them.

Also, the larger fish seems to get depressed sometimes after I change the water, he just goes over in a corner and doesn't do much for a few days, then he gets what seems like a burst of energy and starts darting around the tank.

The big one was there originally, the other original one started getting what looked like fin rot or something and I had to flush him.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

i had the same problem as yourself, the fish were swimming around a small tank, way too small for them, with an average filter. I tested the water over and over and even after a month the tank hadnt cycled, the fish started to show the same symptoms as yours, black patches on scales, so I looked it up and it was exactly what these guys said, ammonia burns. I was doing 25% water changes every other day, but the only thing that changes it was moving them into a bigger tank with a better filter!
    lastlaugh wrote: »
    the larger fish seems to get depressed sometimes after I change the water, he just goes over in a corner and doesn't do much for a few days

one of mine was like this, so i put him into the new tank first and after a few days i added the others, he was the only one who didnt make it :(

Advertisement