Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof cigarette lighter socket

Options
  • 03-02-2012 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭

Picked myself up a Sat nav and looking to install it. The thing is I think having a cigarette lighter socket would be handier than hard wiring it into the bike, so I can charge my phone or carry a small compressor on long trips.

I know I could pick up one in a scrapyard but they aren't really designed for exposed use and since it will have to sit around the handlebar area I want to get a waterproof one. Are there places around Dublin that sell them? I've found a load on Amazon but would like to try and support an Irish shop if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭rock22

BMW's were fitted with a 12 V socket which seems to be waterproof. ( at least mine never allowed water through the strong spring mounted cover.)

Probably available from any BMW dealer but I got mine, and the matching plug, from Motorworks.

One difficulty is that a specific plug is needed not the usual cigarette lighter one. I solved this by getting a cigarette socket extension from Maplin . This is just a 2 meter long cable with a plug and socket at either end. I then changed the cigarette plug for the correct BMW plug.

So I just plug the cable into the BMW socket on the bike and the satnav,, phone or whatever, into the cable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Think Halfords have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

I fitted one of these to my bike, absolutely invaluable piece of kit...

Runs of 12v & can charge my phone, sat-nav, netbook etc. when travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

KamiKazi wrote: »

I had a look in Halfruads and couldn't find any.
    mongdesade wrote: »
    http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

I fitted one of these to my bike, absolutely invaluable piece of kit...

Runs of 12v & can charge my phone, sat-nav, netbook etc. when travelling.

I was looking for something going the other way. In that I could also carry a mini compressor as I've loads of cig to USB adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Second from the bottom what you are looking for? I wouldn't worry so much about 'waterproof' for a 12v supply so long as it is taped or you heatshrink some tubing over it.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I got mine in Halfords

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You'll get them in any boat chandlers. ;)

Advertisement