Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs eyes are spinning in his head?

Options
  • 03-02-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just came home from college to find my dogs eyes spinning in his head. (quickly to one side and slowly back to the other side)
    I came in and heard him by the door in the kitchen. I opened the door thinking he was greeting me but in fact he was walking around the room falling the odd few times. Got him into his bed at which point I noticed his eyes going side to side as if he was dizzy.
    After a bit of research I have narrowed it down to maybe being
    Vestibular Disease

I'm not sure if I am correct. I am going to call the vet tomorrow. Anyone know anything about the disease mentioned above?

My dog is a 14 year old lab/collie.

Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm not a vet, but your description of symptoms immediately made me think of vestibular disease, which can develop in geriatic dogs. There are a number of other causes too, but either way, you've correctly identified that your dog needs to see the vet asap.
    Good luck with this:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

DBB wrote: »
    ... which can develop in geriatic dogs. ...
    Good luck with this:(

Thanks man.

Yeah he has taken a turn for the worst over the past 6 months. (lost his hearing, developing pimples on his cheek, lump on his chest (too afraid to look into that) and now this... )

I've read a few other people who have said that in some cases it lasts for 2 days ... others ... a few weeks. Let's hope he has it for the shortest time possible.

:( Not looking forward to the vet bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Just having a gander through the threads you started gav,

How is your dog? was it that thing you said?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Hey,
    Just came home from college to find my dogs eyes spinning in his head. (quickly to one side and slowly back to the other side)
    I came in and heard him by the door in the kitchen. I opened the door thinking he was greeting me but in fact he was walking around the room falling the odd few times. Got him into his bed at which point I noticed his eyes going side to side as if he was dizzy.
    After a bit of research I have narrowed it down to maybe being
    Vestibular Disease

I'm not sure if I am correct. I am going to call the vet tomorrow. Anyone know anything about the disease mentioned above?

My dog is a 14 year old lab/collie.

Cheers,
    Gav
    14 is a good age for that type of dog. Might be best considering putting him to sleep

Completely forgot about this thread.

Thanks for all your help.

My dog passed away on the 7th of March, just over a month after starting this thread. The original event seemed to be a once off incident, however he never seemed to get back to full health. He got sick nearly every second day and had an uncontrollable bladder. Spent most of his final days in his bed or lying up beside me on the couch.

On the 7th, as a family, we knew that something wasn't right. It was a Saturday night, so the family and my dog spent the night by the fire watching the tv. We were all sure that it was his final few hours. I brought him downstairs to go out the back before putting him to bed. Opened the door, he went up to the back of the garden and wouldn't come inside. I went up to him and walked along side him to the door. He collapsed a couple of meters from his bed.

I picked him up and put him in his bed. He was breathing with some effort.

We had a discussion and decided that if he was still with us in the morning, we would head to the vets and put him to sleep. Not sure how my family was feeling but I knew his time was up. Family went to bed and I stayed by his side for an hour.

Hardest moment of my life, closing that door and saying "night" for the last time. Not going to lie I cried myself to sleep that night.

Sure enough he was gone the next morning.

I'm doing ok now but it took me a while to get over not having him around. Simple things like coming home from college and not having him there to greet me or going to bed at night (being the last one up stairs as usual) and not having to close the door behind me.

I guess they are right, you never forget your first dog.

Going up to the DSPCA tomorrow with my sister to go dog scouting :) It's been a quite 3 months at home and we are ready to move forward.

Once again thanks for your help guys.

37509475.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Indeed not. I lost my (own) first to a hit and run. And I don't use that term lightly.

I gather it's been a while, but my best advice is to get straight back on the horse and find a new friend. You gave him a dignified end.

Our own has been with us, as a family unit, for ten years now. Before the kids, and with them. Dogs make fast friends. There's a great group in operation down here in Cork, who rehome dogs, but I'm sure the DSPCA will be very helpful.

This is Halle.

1777_44834142002_5693_n.jpg

There's a great group in operation down here in Cork, who rehome dogs, but I'm sure the DSPCA will be very helpful.

This is Halle.

Such a beautiful dog. We plan on going to<snip>
    I'm surprised at how much adoption has changed in the 10+ years its been since we did it. So much more work, but hey I'm up for doing it for a new family member. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Be sure to come back again and let us know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

My dog passed away on the 7th of March, just over a month after starting this thread. The original event seemed to be a once off incident, however he never seemed to get back to full health. He got sick nearly every second day and had an uncontrollable bladder. Spent most of his final days in his bed or lying up beside me on the couch.

On the 7th, as a family, we knew that something wasn't up. It was a Saturday night so the family and my dog spent the night by the fire watching the tv. We were all sure that it was his final few hours. I brought him down to go out the back before putting him to bed. Opened the door, he went up to the back of the garden and wouldn't come inside. Went up to him and walked along side him to the door. He collapsed a couple of meters from his bed.

I picked him up and put him in his bed. He was breathing with some effort. We had a discussion and decided that if he was still with us in the morning, we would head to the vets and put him to sleep. Not sure how my family was feeling but I knew his time was up. Family went to bed and I stayed by his side for an hour.

Hardest moment of my life, closing that door and saying "night" for the last time. Not going to lie I cried myself to sleep that night.

I'm doing ok now but it took me a while to get over not having him around. Simple things like coming home from college and not having him there to greet me or going to bed at night (being the last one up stairs as usual) and not having to close the door behind me.

Going up to the DSPCA tomorrow with my sister to go dog scouting :) It's been a quite 3 months at home and we are ready to move forward.

Thanks for posting,very brave of you and I'm so sorry you lost your dog but happy you are going to give another dog a great home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

So sorry to hear about your dog gav. he had a long life and didn't sound like he suffered too much in the end. Im sure you'll give a lucky doggie a loving home soon

• Advertisement

Thanks you guys.

I was going to post this a couple days after he passed away but I guess I never got around to it or just couldn't do it.

Looking forward to seeing all the dogs tomorrow and will find it hard to pick just one.

Going to try and be more active in this thread as well when I do finally get back on the horse again. Noticed that unfortunatly here the posts are mostly on a sombre note.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

On the 7th, as a family, we knew that something wasn't up. It was a Saturday night so the family and my dog spent the night by the fire watching the tv. We were all sure that it was his final few hours. I brought him down to go out the back before putting him to bed. Opened the door, he went up to the back of the garden and wouldn't come inside. Went up to him and walked along side him to the door. He collapsed a couple of meters from his bed.

I picked him up and put him in his bed. He was breathing with some effort. We had a discussion and decided that if he was still with us in the morning, we would head to the vets and put him to sleep. Not sure how my family was feeling but I knew his time was up. Family went to bed and I stayed by his side for an hour.

You have me in tears here..what a loved pet he was

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

I am weeping here at work too (office door closed!). Those final moments with a much loved pet are special. Our collie X (lab) had reached 15, sight and hearing going and even sense of smell disappearing as she appeared to have difficulty finding her water bowl. The vet, about two weeks earlier had told us we would know when it was time, and finally that awful decision that "today was the day". Making that phone call to the vet's surgery was the worst - We got the last appointment of the day and as they were running late we spent about an hour outside the vet's with her dozing beside me in the back of the car. when we finally went in with her the surgery was empty and it was calm and peaceful and the young vet was great with her as well as me and my OH (both twice his age but weeping away).
    It was all done with great dignity. The bitter sweet memories remain, but the one positive thing that I think occurs after your dog has gone is that you are then able to remember and dwell on the dog's whole life and not just the last few tricky months. However a thread like this, even after a few months, still has the power to move me to tears.

I don't think I would ever be able to put a dog to sleep. Just knowing the "due date" you part company is enough to bring a shiver down my back. As much as I knew my time was short with Blackie, there was that slight doubt in my mind that his time had come. It's never easy to lose a loved pet.

Just back from The DSPCA there and I thought I would fill you in. Was there with my sister to have a look at their range. I can honestly say that it was harder then I thought it would be. When you are a true dog lover it is difficult to go to such a place and pick just one.

After 15 minutes or so of having a look around, both my sister and I had different favourites. A black German Shepard had taken a liking to me and to be honest, I spent the majority of my time there locked eyes with him. Titan was his name. A real beauty to look at. A placid dog who couldn't bring himself away from the glass door when I was with him. Lay there, sniffing me from beneath the door. I was weaned off of him because of his long coat and the time and effort to groom him, not to mention their natural protective nature (didn't bother me but I guess when you are getting a family pet, everyone needs to like him/her)

My sister was looking at some golden lab puppies but unfortunately we are not the candidates for pups.

A lot of Luchers there as well. I would love one but again, my family wasn't sure. I just love their "couch potato" nature. Something I can relate to... on the weekends and when I am off college anyway...) Such a majestic animal. They had one in the lobby who just lay there while I rubbed her. Closed eyes, in heaven...

One dog that we both just looked at and said "yes" was a Boxer Lab X. Such a beautiful dog. Short brown coat with a lab body and a face of a boxer. Like Titan, she was very placid in her cage and only really started to play when we were about to leave. (Got the impression she thought she had "lost the sale" and had to put on a show :D). We were set on her, Millie the Boxer Lab.

We were going to book a "play date" with her tomorrow and so we went up to the main counter to get it sorted. Long behold the dog was reserved but had no sign on her kennel. We were gutted. An added pain was that the couple who were interested in her were there the same time we were.

I'm not sure if the lady from the DSPCA could see the disappointment on our faces or not but she informed us that the woman interested had told her that she had arthritis and wasn't sure if Millie was too playful for her or not.

Long story short the other couple are checking out another dog as well (an older pet) and haven't made up their mind yet. Thus we are playing the waiting game. We will sleep on it and hope she is still there in the morning.

I have tried not to get too attached because I don't want to be disappointed. We have a playdate booked tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Very sorry for your loss. I hope that you get the dog you want as I'm sure you will give him/her a great home. We have a Lab/Boxer X at home called Bruno. In fact he is lying beside me as I type this out. He is a bundle of joy and makes me very happy.

Macker1 wrote: »
    Very sorry for your loss. I hope that you get the dog you want as I'm sure you will give him/her a great home. We have a Lab/Boxer X at home called Bruno. In fact he is lying beside me as I type this out. He is a bundle of joy and makes me very happy.

Ohh great! I was going to look up info on the breed. What are they like? Was there any difficulties with him?

Cheers.

EDIT : Just got a call from the DSPCA, the woman who was ahead of us for the Boxer Lab X has gone with another dog. I guess it is meant to be :)

Sorry to hi-jack your thread or anything gav, but just got this news, and I'm in tears after reading your replys, and then hearing this:

Just got a call from my Mom there to say she's in my Grandma's, and her dog, who she got when I was one is breathing badly and in pain, so he's going to the vets for 6pm...

I used to be minded by my Grandma everyday while my parents were in work, and then when I started school, I'd go to her house after and get picked up when my parents were finished work. So I basically grew up with him. I'd see him almost everyday for 12 years.

Then when I started Secondary school it was closer to home, and my Mom had stopped work to look after my little sister, so I wasn't in my Grandma's as much and I never really paid as much attention to Joey as I used to. He'd want to play, even though he was pushing 12-13 years, and I'd ignore him. Looking back now I feel really bad, cause in the last few months, after his sister died, my Grandma got a new puppy, and I would play for hours with her, and ignore him...

So anyway in the last few months he has gone deaf, and has had arthritis, and is going blind, and today he has been breathing heavily and been in pain.
    I'm not sure If I'll get to see him before he get's brought to the vet to be put down, but I'm nearly in tears here at just the idea, that he was my best childhood friend, and today, at 6pm, he'll be gone forever...

My only regret is that I ignored him in his last few months...

I'm really gonna miss you Joey

Joey (1997- 2012)

jdra1.jpg

Joey, and his sister Daisy, who dies a few months ago

qytke.jpg

Really sad to hear it mate. You only realise when they are about to go how much you loved having them around. Like I said before, putting a dog to sleep is much harder than them leaving you naturally.

Rip Joey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Indeed not. I lost my (own) first to a hit and run. And I don't use that term lightly.

I gather it's been a while, but my best advice is to get straight back on the horse and find a new friend. You gave him a dignified end.

Our own has been with us, as a family unit, for ten years now. Before the kids, and with them. Dogs make fast friends. There's a great group in operation down here in Cork, who rehome dogs, but I'm sure the DSPCA will be very helpful.

This is Halle.

Is Halle a Tibetian Spaniel?.

Just back from the DSPCA there and I though I would continue this thread full circle and introduce you to Millie (not sure on the name... might change :P )

20120613143932.jpg

Pre play date ... still a bit reserved :p

20120613143551.jpg

My little girl :)

20120613144048.jpg

• Advertisement

Awh! She's lovely! Best of luck on the adoption!

Just have a quick home check tomorrow and then hopefully she's ours :)

Just have a quick home check tomorrow and then hopefully she's ours :)

Any idea what age she is? and was she born at the DSPCA, or was she rescued? I've heard from a dew people that rescues make the most loyal and loving pets!

nimrod86 wrote: »
    Any idea what age she is? and was she born at the DSPCA, or was she rescued? I've heard from a dew people that rescues make the most loyal and loving pets!

She is 10 months old. Still not sure why she is in the DSPCA but we do know that she was taken in. My guess is that she was given to a family for Christmas or a present and they didn't realise how much work she would be or that she would get that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Long Road 8378

Gav, have been reading your thread and it has brought me to tears, Both happy and sad! So sorry to hear about your dog and the other furbabies who have passed on. Can't imagine (and don't want to) the pain of losing your lil dog. Best of luck to you and Millie, she's gorgeous and going by the photos is just dying for love, cuddles and a family to call her own. :)

Gav, have been reading your thread and it has brought me to tears, Both happy and sad! So sorry to hear about your dog and the other furbabies who have passed on. Can't imagine (and don't want to) the pain of losing your lil dog. Best of luck to you and Millie, she's gorgeous and going by the photos is just dying for love, cuddles and a family to call her own. :)

Thank you Long Road.

It was a very hard few days for me back in March.

Have the home check tomorrow from the DSPCA and then if that all goes well she will be here in the afternoon or Friday at the latest. So excited to bring her home.

We are debating her name here at the moment. Narrowed the choices down to either Zoe or to keep Millie.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Just want to say good luck with the new addition. x

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

On the 7th, as a family, we knew that something wasn't right. It was a Saturday night, so the family and my dog spent the night by the fire watching the tv. We were all sure that it was his final few hours. I brought him downstairs to go out the back before putting him to bed. Opened the door, he went up to the back of the garden and wouldn't come inside. I went up to him and walked along side him to the door. He collapsed a couple of meters from his bed.

I picked him up and put him in his bed. He was breathing with some effort.

We had a discussion and decided that if he was still with us in the morning, we would head to the vets and put him to sleep. Not sure how my family was feeling but I knew his time was up. Family went to bed and I stayed by his side for an hour.

Sorry for your Loss What a beautiful Dog

Sorry for your Loss What a beautiful Dog

Thank you. Pictured in his favourite spot... On the back of the couch with a prime view out the bay window.

• Advertisement

UPDATE : DSPCA have come and gone. Had a nice chat with her and she told us where the dog had come from. A nice touch is that she was the inspector who took in Millie so she knows her inside out.

Waiting for a call from our rep and will probably be up there tomorrow to finish the process. :)

Advertisement