Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of registering a new conversion

Options
  • 02-02-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I had a look at previous posts and couldn't find the answer.
    What are the costs for registering a new conversion assuming your vehicle meets all the criteria.
    1) Engineers report....... € 200 ????
    2) Revenues reg. fee ........ € ??????
    Is there any other charges involved ? Am I missing something here ?
    Thanks for any help.

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hardibuck

Hi demoreino,

Engineers report cost me 100 euro. Didn't get past that so can't comment on the revenue costs!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Don't need an engineers report for re-registering, it's only for insurance purposes. You will need it inspected and get the Declaration of Conversion form stamped by a Suitably Qualified Individual or a NSAI garage, which costs around €80 as far as I know!

Revenue's reg fee is 13.3% of the OMSP of what they feel your van is worth as a camper. Have a look on DoneDeal to see what price your van is going for as a camper and add 1-2k on top of that and that will more than likely be the OMSP revenue puts on your van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

stevire wrote: »
    ............. Have a look on DoneDeal to see what price your van is going for as a camper and add 1-2k on top of that and that will more than likely be the OMSP revenue puts on your van.

Back up on my soapbox :rolleyes:

OMSP = Open Market SELLING price.
    On DoneDeal and other vehicle selling sites the price published is the owners ASKING price which is often far in excess of the actuall SELLING price.
    Using the ASKING price to determine the VRT cannot produce a fair and equitable figure.

I have personal knowledge of two motorhomes which were sold within the last yaer for less that 70% of the published ASKING price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

OMSP == OMAP :D

Regardless, majority of cases I've seen/heard have excess VRT put on the value of the van. In my case I had a 1994 310D Mercedes ex-Ambulance. Worth no more than €1,500 yet the price tag put on it by CVO was €4,500...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

demoreino wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I had a look at previous posts and couldn't find the answer.
    What are the costs for registering a new conversion assuming your vehicle meets all the criteria.
    1) Engineers report....... € 200 ????
    2) Revenues reg. fee ........ € ??????
    Is there any other charges involved ? Am I missing something here ?
    Thanks for any help.

No other charges as such, bar you need the SQI report done for re-classification and not the engineers report. Only need that for insurance. What they charge for these can vary wildly.

In saying that, be prepared for it to cause you a whole pile of grief though. Revenue will return forms to you quicker than you can fill in the envelope, with poxy half assed explanations of why its been returned. Trying to understand what you actually need to do is a challenge in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Thanks for the replys.
    To simplify things I'll put it into figures.
    Lets say I buy a used van in Ireland for € 7500 and spend € 7500 on the conversion .
    If the revenue value it at , lets say € 17,500 , what will be the vrt that I will be charged ? Will it 13.5% of € 17,500 or is the cost of the van that I bought be subtracted from their evaluation because there was vrt paid on the van before I bought it ?
    Why does everything to do with Revenue or indeed most ( all ) government agencies have to be so damned complicated and totally user unfriendly.

demoreino wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys.
    To simplify things I'll put it into figures.
    Lets say I buy a used van in Ireland for € 7500 and spend € 7500 on the conversion .
    If the revenue value it at , lets say € 17,500 , what will be the vrt that I will be charged ? Will it 13.5% of € 17,500 or is the cost of the van that I bought be subtracted from their evaluation because there was vrt paid on the van before I bought it ?
    Why does everything to do with Revenue or indeed most ( all ) government agencies have to be so damned complicated and totally user unfriendly.

Again, it can vary thanks to the revenue.

Say you buy a van for 7.5k, and spend 7.5k in converting it, there's nothing to stop the revenue saying that the van is now worth 25k and charge you VRT on that. They'll look around for similar vans that are on the market to get an idea.

Not sure if you'll get a rebate on the VRT from the original van registration, but it would be negligible anyway. When I declared my van as a van in Ireland I paid the €50 VRT which was rebated. Not that much of a saving really.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Thanks for that Bufford,
    But I dont think the differance would be negligable. If they decide to charge me on the new value of the vehicle I feel I am now paying VRT for a second time on the base vehicle and that the charge from Renenue should be the new value of the conversion minus their opinion of the OMSP of the vehicle before the conversion was done.
    This way , going by the figures I have used already I would be paying 13.5% on the added value of the vehicle ( 10,000 ) instead of paying 13.5% of the new value ( 17,500) which would be a differance of over € 1000.

That's my point.

When a commercial vehicle is registered in Ireland it will be applicable to the old €50 VRT charge or the new €200 charge. This could be rebated against the new VRT payable on conversion as in my case, but they're not going to rebate you based on what the OMSP would have been for the van when it was first registered versus the conversion VRT fee, since it would only have been paid at the commercial rate - hence my neglible amount comment.

Advertisement