Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ATC Frequency? - Ireland

Options
  • 02-02-2012 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, I live in Cavan. There is a flight path directly over my house.

Most trans-Atlantic flights from Europe fly on this flight path every day and it's fairly busy most days. An example would be a KLM flight from AMS->JFK today. There was also a FedEx plane that took off a few moments after.

I tracked the two of them from over Holland on flightradar24.com (they appeared about 1 or 2 KM's behind each other on flightradar) and I could then see on flightradar24 that they were approaching this direction. After a while I could then see 2 planes in the sky (roughly 2 km's apart). It was definitely them because they were also exactly over where I was on flight-radar24.

But my question is, at this time, what Air Traffic Control frequency are they tuned to and communicating to?

Any idea? Thx.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 murraygreene

DJDontaz wrote: »
    Hi, I live in Cavan. There is a flight path directly over my house.

Most trans-Atlantic flights from Europe fly on this flight path every day and it's fairly busy most days. An example would be a KLM flight from AMS->JFK today. There was also a FedEx plane that took off a few moments after.

I tracked the two of them from over Holland on flightradar24.com (they appeared about 1 or 2 KM's behind each other on flightradar) and I could then see on flightradar24 that they were approaching this direction. After a while I could then see 2 planes in the sky (roughly 2 km's apart). It was definitely them because they were also exactly over where I was on flight-radar24.

But my question is, at this time, what Air Traffic Control frequency are they tuned to and communicating to?

Any idea? Thx.

It is Shannon high level frequency try 132.150 or 135.225

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

You're looking for one of the Shannon high level frequencies. 131.150 springs to mind. Also 134.275. There are others which vary by sector. I'm sure there's an ATC'r on board who can clarify. Have you tried LiveATC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Names

As the previous poster said they will be with shannon high level , roughly from half way across the Irish sea. The frequency that they will be on will depend on how mant ATC sectors are open in Shannon, the amount of traffic around at any given time is what determines that. They will change frequencies as they move from sector to sector , generally as they cross the east coast of Ireland , they will be on 131.150. That is the high level sector above the Dublin CTA.

got there before me xflyer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Funny how often that happens names. Only the click of the button decides who gets in first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DJDontaz

xflyer wrote: »
    You're looking for one of the Shannon high level frequencies. 131.150 springs to mind. Also 134.275. There are others which vary by sector. I'm sure there's an ATC'r on board who can clarify. Have you tried LiveATC?

132.150 is on LiveATC... I thin that may be the one I'm looking for.
    135.225 is also on there. Not too sure which is the correct one I'm looking for. I will check them both out and report back!

Thanks for your help! :)

• Advertisement

It is Shannon high level frequency try 132.150 or 135.225

Thank you! :)

131.150 is also another one :)

Names wrote: »
    As the previous poster said they will be with shannon high level , roughly from half way across the Irish sea. The frequency that they will be on will depend on how mant ATC sectors are open in Shannon, the amount of traffic around at any given time is what determines that. They will change frequencies as they move from sector to sector , generally as they cross the east coast of Ireland , they will be on 131.150. That is the high level sector above the Dublin CTA.

got there before me xflyer!

Thanks for that! I think I have a good idea of it now and will try 131.150 first and then see about the other frequencies.

Thank you very much :)

Thanks for the replies everyone, really helped me!!

Cheers for taking the time to help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭N7777G

DJDontaz wrote: »
    132.150 is on LiveATC... I thin that may be the one I'm looking for.
    135.225 is also on there. Not too sure which is the correct one I'm looking for. I will check them both out and report back!

Thanks for your help! :)

Your best bet is to listen to Shannon 131.150 as this is in use 90% of the time for traffic routing over the northern half of the country.

Trans Atlantic traffic coming from the Liverpool direction will be on London 135.580 or 132.860 prior to switching to Shannon High.

Traffic routing northeast to Scotland & Scandinavia will be handed over to Scottish control on 129.100 as they approach the border.

Finally, as traffic approaches the North west coast (Mayo/Sligo/Donegal) they will be handed on to the next Shannon sector - usually 122.980.

Hope this helps - and Happy Listening :D

N7777G wrote: »
    Your best bet is to listen to Shannon 131.150 as this is in use 90% of the time for traffic routing over the northern half of the country.

Trans Atlantic traffic coming from the Liverpool direction will be on London 135.580 or 132.860 prior to switching to Shannon High.

Traffic routing northeast to Scotland & Scandinavia will be handed over to Scottish control on 129.100 as they approach the border.

Finally, as traffic approaches the North west coast (Mayo/Sligo/Donegal) they will be handed on to the next Shannon sector - usually 122.980.

Hope this helps - and Happy Listening :D

Wow brilliant, gt all he info I need! :)

Thanks for taking the time to help! Appreciate it!

Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 knockerdanks

Have ever wondered what they are on after VHF falls away.
    The HF Frqs are most interesting and its surprising how far you can fetch em in when it gets dark.

Cheers Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jaysus you really dug up an old thread!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I’ll leave it open for a day or two to allow a response. Then it’s getting locked.
    Knockerdanks, maybe post your query in the Flightradar thread to get a better reply

Advertisement