Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish men afraid to talk to doctors?

Options
  • 02-02-2012 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Saw a thread below about a guy buying medication for ED in the internet... Apart from the fact that most drugs online are fake or illegal... What is the aversion irish men have to doctors?... Probably cheaper than trying a DIY job on your health.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If it didn't cost 60 quid a pop then I'd probably go more often.

I've gone a few times in the last year but all were simply to get referrals. If I could see a consultant without a referral then a doctor would really be no use to me other than to get a sick note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    Saw a thread below about a guy buying medication for ED in the internet... Apart from the fact that most drugs online are fake or illegal... What is the aversion irish men have to doctors?... Probably cheaper than trying a DIY job on your health.

this potrayal of men as afraid to talk to doctors is pure spin by the doctor lobby , its a way of covering up the fact that they charge too much , im afraid to talk to mercedes garrage salesmen aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I'm not afraid of going to talk to a doctor but I refuse to pay €60 for the privilage of spending 10mins in his company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭windy bee

Probably don't talk to doctors are much because we think we are invincible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'm not afraid of going to talk to a doctor but I refuse to pay €60 for the privilage of spending 10mins in his company.

10 minutes?? Lucky you.
    I would have to go in with multiple complaints to get that long.

It is often a complete waste of money going to a doctor. €60 and I have never ever felt that the doctor has given any thought or reflection to any ailment I have had. There is no way they can adequately diagnose and prescribe in the time they allot to each of their patients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

They squeeze your balls and poke your bum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

windy bee wrote: »
    Probably don't talk to doctors that much because we are invincible

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MellowToast

^brill

though i have no problem going to a doctor when it is serious. i blaim sexism for people thinking men are afraid of doctors. woman propaganda, making us weak and wanting to kill ourselves :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I think some people actually go to the Doc far too often. It's like if they have a runny nose they are down the doc office faster than their nose can run..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Depends on the doc I suppose. Over the years I've gone to various docs. None of which I was overly impressed with, rushing through consultations and never really listening to you.

A prime example of this was an ongoing problem I had with my throat and constant throat infections a few years ago. Every doc I went too spent about 5 mins examining my throat and out came the prescription pad. That was it.. €50 please and another €80 - €100 for whatever was prescribed.

There was even talk of getting my tonsils removed.

After the fourth or fifth time a friend recommended her doc, a female gp near where my friend worked.

To say I was pleasantly surprised was an understatement, first visit was a long chat about my medical history, any allergies, type of lifestyle, job description, thorough examination of my throat, ears etc.

I explained everything that happened, she checked everything and what was the end result, a blocked canal in my ear. Ear was rinsed out (think its called being syringed), advised to get some over the counter pain killers to take for a few days and use a good strong alcohol free mouth wash.

A few days later, problem gone. Hasn't been back since.

A lot if GPs have a terrible manner, the come across as arrogant, dismissing and judgmental. So why the hell would anyone want to talk about anything with them especially if that person has a sensitive or what they feel is an embarrassing problem??

My advice, find a good doc and stick with them, worth their weight in gold.

Tox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Just ignore it and it will go away is the Irish mans motto

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Costs too much, I'm waiting too long and spend about 5 minutes inside there. Not afraid to talk, it's just a waste of time and money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

For me it's the cost.

Plus, I think of all the times where I've avoided going to the doctor and then when I go and make the appointment, I start feeling better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I hate going to the doctor/hospital - there's sick people there!

Well, "duh", you say. Even if you go early or have an appointment it always seems to take ages to be seen. I hate hanging around in the waiting room exchanging air with those sick people. All that coughing, sneezing and (frequently) farting does my head in. There always seems to be a crying baby too...

The expense puts me off too. Not directely related but I had a long term problem with my leg due to a soccer injury. Went to two different physios over the course of two years to try and get it sorted. 3 sessions each at €60 a pop and neither *solved the issue. I've sorted it on my own since, so that money was effectively wasted. I've got a recurring ankle problem at the moment and I plan on googling a solution to it.

Those reasons and others combine so that I'm not going to go to the doctor for a trivial reason. As a work colleague puts it : "If I need to see the doctor, the doctor is going to have to come see me". If I'm sick enough to call the doctor, I'll be too sick to be able to get out of bed and go see him.

*To be fair both were on the right track - just didn't go far enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

The dreaded prostate exam!!!!:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm female and used only go to the doctor if I was abnormally ill, needed contraceptives etc

Then I got introduced to the OH's (he's male) GP clinic.

First visit in I went about some nasty skin condition on my hands, left after a thorough chat about my health (including when I last had a smear) and several referrals for a previously undiagnosed condition.

Second vist, in I went after losing my voice, told it was stress, I looked like ****, needed a week off work, and to mind myself more. Followed up with progress on referrals from previous visit and a reminder she was checking them. And ANOTHER reminder/check about smear tests, and a massive general interest in my physical/mental health.

It's the doctor imo, how open they are and how interested they are in their profession

I've been to a doctor twice in three years to give some perspective, with a GP like I have now who takes that approach, I'll go there every time.

Advertisement