Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ELA in Austria

Options
  • 02-02-2012 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Can anyone share any experience on doing english language assistant programmes in Austria or Germany? I study German and I am thinking of practicing my German in Austria as an assistant teacher, instead of Germany, this coming October.

Is the German completely different there? Are there any particulare regions/areas people can recommend as the best place to live?

Thank you in advance!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Geminian wrote: »
    Can anyone share any experience on doing english language assistant programmes in Austria or Germany? I study German and I am thinking of practicing my German in Austria as an assistant teacher, instead of Germany, this coming October.

Is the German completely different there? Are there any particulare regions/areas people can recommend as the best place to live?

Thank you in advance!:D

I would recommend it.

i like both countries but the Austrians like their culture more so than the Germans.

Austrians learn British English at school and when they come here they find the English spoken a tad different. No different there. Some Austrians may be reluctant to learn English from an Irish person because we do not speak 'proper' English. Everything is the same the world over.

uneducated yobos will speak in a way you cannot understand but otherwise most Austrians will be able to be speak Standard German.
    Austria has a east west divide. Western Austria is more like western Europe.

in a smaller area you will be integrated into the community a lot faster, but there may not be much to do. The Viennese are somewhat cold and dislike foreigners but there is plenty to do.

You have flights to Ireland from Bratislava( Slovak Republic, but Vienna according to Ryanair), Vienna and Salzburg. Graz has an indirect flight as does Klagenfurt

Advertisement