Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladbrokes does it again

Options
  • 02-02-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭

In Shop Price - Titled "Top Treble"

PSV, Novara & Arsenal (obviously no real footie on tonight!) all to win

In Shop only 5/2

PSV 1/5
    Novara 6/4
    Arsenal 2/7

Works out at 2.86/1 (just 11/4) :mad:

Not the 1st time they have done this either.
    They are the only bookie I know where the shop price is worse :confused:.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

That is real football and usually provides more value than betting on man city/barcelona.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    PSV 1/5
    Novara 6/4
    Arsenal 2/7..............
    shangri la wrote: »
    That is real football and usually provides more value than betting on man city/barcelona.

Out of interest which of the three is value?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

Why not do the bet online. Thats the beauty of having various ways you can bet. You can open an account in the shop, lodge cash and call the number on your card. It sometimes works the other way. In shop offers are not available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I can but there are a lot of "older guys" who wouldn't have online accounts.
    Ladbrokes is the only company that I know of where the online prices are higher than the shop prices.
    It doesn't make sense, surely they should be trying to encourage people into their shops.
    Lot harder to compare prices in a shop against online?

The older guys can easily open up accounts. Its a simple process that they can be walked through. Older guys can use mobiles now and talk to a customer service agent- not as if they are being asked to press buttons on a smartphone. Different prices online can be explained by any number of factors - if England were playing Ireland in a crucial game - the price on England would be very different to the price in shops in Ireland - you could be at an advantage depending on where you placed the wager. Ladbrokes are trying to consolidate and harmonise their prices across various different mediums but this takes time. I understand it can be frustrating as I have seen it with all firms if I am checking t

• Advertisement

the price on oddschecker, then go into the shop and it's different

Ladbrokes is the only place that I have ever seen where the shop odds are smaller.
    It just doesn't make any sense to me.
    If it was that good of an idea, you can sure that Boyles & PP would be doing it by now.

Ladbrokes is the only place that I have ever seen where the shop odds are smaller.
    It just doesn't make any sense to me.
    If it was that good of an idea, you can sure that Boyles & PP would be doing it by now.
    Well I've seen it with chandlers and boyles on horses I went to back. Anyway the point is you can still get the price if you do it online, which I think was your original gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

It doesn't make sense, surely they should be trying to encourage people into their shops.
    Lot harder to compare prices in a shop against online?

Every betting company would prefer if their business was online. No wages to pay out, minimal liabilities, no chance of back prices being taken, easier to see where the liability lays. Add to the fact they can probably pick and chose where they register their company in order to sort out taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Every betting company would prefer if their business was online. No wages to pay out, minimal liabilities, no chance of back prices being taken, easier to see where the liability lays. Add to the fact they can probably pick and chose where they register their company in order to sort out taxes.

Thats what i would have always thought as well. Oddly enough though I have oftern heard them saying (on the Morning Line) that the price will be held in the shops until say 9.30 am or whatever, notwithstanding that the online price may have disappeared.
    I would guess maybe theyre catering for the punter with no internet access. On the other hand, I wonder are punters more likely to bleed cash on impulse bets while in a shop than if they were on line.

I know from my own experience that a lot of the time i would only bother going on line to place a bet on something i really wanted to back - meaning something ive had a proper think about. whereas if i happened to be in a bookie (rare enough for me) i might throw a few small bets on mickey-mouse horse races i wouldnt dream of looking at otherwise.

• Advertisement

9.30 am or whatever

Could be wrong but don't they have to offer a racing special to punters in the shops for a certain length of time?
    They would probably only allow a small amount of stakes on them though.
    Irish shops don't open till 10am so they don't exactly cater for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Could be wrong but don't they have to offer a racing special to punters in the shops for a certain length of time?
    They would probably only allow a small amount of stakes on them though.
    Irish shops don't open till 10am so they don't exactly cater for us.

No

Bookmakers dont have to do anything. Its gone the way of the indians now but what your thinking of was pricewise. Most firms would guarantee to hold the price on whatever the racing post's pricewise selection on the big race every saturday for the first half hour when shops opened.

I'm not sure if anyone still does it now with 24 hour betting online/phone/ipad etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

wicklowdub wrote: »
    No

Bookmakers dont have to do anything. Its gone the way of the indians now but what your thinking of was pricewise. Most firms would guarantee to hold the price on whatever the racing post's pricewise selection on the big race every saturday for the first half hour when shops opened.

I'm not sure if anyone still does it now with 24 hour betting online/phone/ipad etc.
    The majority of shops hold their Racing Post advertised prices for 15 minutes after retail opening times in the UK and Ireland on the day of the race/event.

You'll find details on the small print in the ad itself.

How much they'll take at those prices is another story.

Advertisement