Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JNLR 2011

Options
  • 02-02-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭

The JNLR 2011 final quarter figures are out:

http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio

Just one point and I’ll be sticking something up about this later – the comparison are like for like. The ‘conventional wisdom’ for these figures are comparing 12 months to a particular quarter to 12 months to the previous quarter. I’m therefore “unconventional” in this matter and believe in comparing apples with apples and not with bananas. Therefore the figures are January to December 2011 compared to January to December 2010 and not Oct’10-Sep’11

The shock of it all..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mary Wilson must have been pleased with the Drivetime numbers, she just thanked the listeners and Eileen Dunne on the 6 p.m. headlines just gave the official RTE response - 17 of the top 20 programs etc. etc., it didn't include any modesty but I suppose that's to be expected when you consider how most of the radio stations take out ads in the press putting the best spin on the results as it applies to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Radio 1 are bleating

Seeing that they are supposedly so successful perhaps this merits pulling their license funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

Tubridy still falling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Up 1000 supposedly (2 new old folks homes opened up) ............ well within the margin for error.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Todayfm have their promotional video.
    http://vimeo.com/36080182

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Which has now been deleted?

What was the content? anything something might take offence to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2FM stops the rot! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

IRE60 wrote: »
    Which has now been deleted?

What was the content? anything something might take offence to?

It was Mario being Vincent Browne up on their rooftop, making gags at each show then a banner with their increase in listenership over the year.
    I did not think there was anything particularly offensive but I was not paying my full attention to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Newstalk Breakfast doing very well now and figures are improving but then Tom Dunne comes in with a paltry 53,000 and Luchtime at 63,000. Surely a change must happen soon, i think if they move Moncrieff to 10-12 he'll at least give D'arcy and Kenny a decent go.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 canalman

Anyone know how I can find figures for an individual programme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Any programme in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

canalman wrote: »
    Anyone know how I can find figures for an individual programme?

Either read the press release from the radio station that programme is on, or be employed by them.

IRE60 wrote: »
    Any programme in particular?
    FM104 Phoneshow.They said they were top at their timeslot but did not mention whether listeners were up or down.

canalman wrote: »
    FM104 Phoneshow.They said they were top at their timeslot but did not mention whether listeners were up or down.

Unlikely that their figures are up (or if they are, that they're up by much) in the past year or so seeing as they've gotten increased competition in that time. I wouldn't doubt that they're still the most listened to late night talk show in the country however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Firstly, i can drill down so much with the data I have, but not as much a s media subscriber to the data (vie Telmar et al).

So..on the basis of a time slot 21:00 to 1:00, weekdays in Dublin, the phone show has moved up marginally. The average 1/4 hour in 2010/4 was 21,000 listeners and the ave for 2011/4 was 22,000.

canalman - I sent you a pm

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Radio2000

Judging by the latest JNLR, 4FM may have taken some from 98 in the 9-12/1am slot not 104.

Joan Lea is down and Niall Boylan has increased to 3,000 reach in Dublin. 104 seem to be unaffected by 4FM. I was told by someone last week that Adrian Kennedy is still at nearly 50,000 in Dublin IIRC.

4FM have 10,000 around Ireland at night - not a bad figure at all and one which probably will increase.
    Bard wrote: »
    Unlikely that their figures are up (or if they are, that they're up by much) in the past year or so seeing as they've gotten increased competition in that time. I wouldn't doubt that they're still the most listened to late night talk show in the country however.

blue4ever wrote: »
    Firstly, i can drill down so much with the data I have, but not as much a s media subscriber to the data (vie Telmar et al).

So..on the basis of a time slot 21:00 to 1:00, weekdays in Dublin, the phone show has moved up marginally. The average 1/4 hour in 2010/4 was 21,000 listeners and the ave for 2011/4 was 22,000.

canalman - I sent you a pm

C
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25 King Size

Where would this increased competition be coming from?!?!

King Size wrote: »
    Where would this increased competition be coming from?!?!

2 places at least: Niall Boylan started "The Late Show" on Classic Hits 4FM at the end of last May and 98FM's "Joan Lea Show" moved to the 9pm slot.

2 places at least: Niall Boylan started "The Late Show" on Classic Hits 4FM at the end of last May and 98FM's "Joan Lea Show" moved to the 9pm slot.

Joan Lea went down.

Not sure 4FM has the brand awareness to be calling themselves competition for 98 or 104 just yet - even if it is only on an internet board.

• Advertisement

Radio2000 wrote: »
    Joan Lea went down.

Not sure 4FM has the brand awareness to be calling themselves competition for 98 or 104 just yet - even if it is only on an internet board.

4FM didn't call themselves anything, I did. I don't speak on their behalf. Oh and whether you're sure or not, that show is competition for the AK Phone Show in that it's a talk show that can be heard in the same franchise area at the same time.

My point wasn't what you're saying.

I'm talking about the station as a whole. You'd worry about individual shows and whether they're competition or not AFTER the people on the street know what 4FM is. At the moment, generally speaking, they don't

My logic doesn't appear to have entered the minds of those by the current ad campaign either as they've decided to focus on presenter names but hey, it ain't my money!

Radio2000 wrote: »
    My point wasn't what you're saying.

True. We had been talking about the 21:00 - 01:00 slot, and what competition (if any) Adrian Kennedy has, whereas you were talking about stations as a whole.
    ...AFTER the people on the street know what 4FM is. At the moment, generally speaking, they don't

Well generally speaking, I find it's not a good idea to generalise. What the JNLR figures show to me is that 4FM are continuing to make small but consistent and steady increases and I reckon they should be happy with that. They're moving in the right direction. As someone on another forum quite correctly said: "It will take at least 3 years before they start to attain anywhere near the sort of audience numbers of their rivals. Remember, it took Q102 5 or 6 years to get where they are now."
    My logic doesn't appear to have entered the minds of those by the current ad campaign either as they've decided to focus on presenter names but hey, it ain't my money!

Have to disagree with you here as the only ads I've seen for 4FM that focus on a presenter name are those for Gareth O'Callaghan's show and, in fairness, he's a pretty big name and well worth using to promote the station. The rest of their ads (including their recent TV campaign) haven't mentioned presenters and have just gone with the "Have you had your hit today?" slogan to advertise 4FM.

My friend works in advertising and I was able to have a look at the figures, Niall Boylan has 3,000 in Dublin and Joan Lea has 7,000. Compare that to AK's 46,000 its hardly stiff competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

My friend works in advertising and I was able to have a look at the figures, Niall Boylan has 3,000 in Dublin and Joan Lea has 7,000. Compare that to AK's 46,000 its hardly stiff competition.

Has 98FM ever been that low before for their evening talk show? Weren't they getting much better figures with Chris Barry & Niall Boylan?

Nobody ever said it was "stiff" competition but it's competition nonetheless. To put it in context, Kennedy's show is running many years while Joan only took up the 9-midnight talk slot recently and Boylan's show is only going since last May.
    GSF wrote:
    Has 98FM ever been that low before for their evening talk show? Weren't they getting much better figures with Chris Barry & Niall Boylan?

To the best of my knowledge, nobody (A.K. included) has ever come close to the listener figures Chris had in Dublin. They're hardly likely to now either with the market being much more saturated than it was back then.

Joan only took up the 9-midnight talk slot recently and Boylan's show is only going since last May.

3,000 listeners in 9 months jesus that's pretty poor!

That's just Dublin. He's got over 20,000 in the rest of the 4FM coverage area, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

That's just Dublin. He's got over 20,000 in the rest of the 4FM coverage area, afaik.

That may be true, but you have to compare like with like. The other guys are talking about Dublin it seems. Sure AK might have more listeners on line and when they were on tv around the country, but from a Dublin point of view they don't count.

That said, I think the guys at 4fm have done great things so far.

• Advertisement

Advertisement