Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfairly charged by customs

Options
  • 02-02-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I received an email saying to forward on invoice of a an online purchase for custom purposes.

I did so where the amount of package was 36 euro.

I then received an email with the breakdown in charges;

Total Value of Goods - € 36.26

Customs Duty - € 0.00
    VAT @ 23% - € 8.34
    Post Office Charge - € 6.00
    Total for Collection - € 14.34

Expected Delivery Date -Monday 6th February.

Regards
    Philip Smith
    Customs Officer, Dublin Mail Centre

Where you see the customs charge is 0euro why do i still have to pay all the other charges?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

I wouldn't necessarily call that unfair - did you ask them why you had to pay the other charges? It seems standard enough to me...VAT and post office charge.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Seems we have to pay VAT,

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/value_added_tax.html
    VAT on imports

This section only deals with VAT for private individuals who buy goods for personal use.

In general, you have to pay VAT and import duty on any goods you are bringing into Ireland from outside the EU. This includes goods purchased online and by mail order. You will have to pay VAT at the same rate as applies in Ireland for similar goods.

Within the EU, VAT is usually paid in the Member State you purchased the goods, however, there are some exceptions - see below.

If you buy online or by mail order etc.
    From outside the EU

You can buy goods from outside the EU up to a value of €22 without incurring any VAT charges. Goods up to a value of €150 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty. To avoid these packages being stopped by Customs, the value should be clearly marked on the label. However, VAT and import duty is charged on importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcoholic product and perfumes even if they cost less than €22. The Revenue Commissioners provide a guide to the reliefs available for imports from non-EC countries.

If your online purchase costs more than €22 you will have to pay VAT. If your online purchase costs more than €150 you will have to pay VAT and Customs Duty. This will be collected by the company that delivers your parcel. The company usually have an administration charge. Methods of delivery and collection differ from company to company, so you should contact them directly for more information.

From another EU Member State

If goods are sent to you from another Member State whether you pay VAT here or in the Member State depends on the level of trade the supplier has with Ireland. If the supplier has a high level of trade with Ireland you may pay VAT here. The European Commission provides more information about shopping online within the EU.

Excisable products (for example, alcohol, tobacco and oil) purchased within the EU via the internet or by mail are subject to excise duty and VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Seems? I thought that was common knowledge?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

People are still surprised that there is VAT on the products that you buy? Honestly, what country do you generally reside in?

There's a sticky on this subject for exactly this purpose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement