Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attendance letter from college will grant be affected?

Options
  • 02-02-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I received a letter over christmas from my college about my attendance levels. I am wondering will my grant be cut as a result? I am worried as I have to undertake this course because i need a qualification to achieve another grant to undertake a new course even though I dislike this course
    Please help I cannot afford to leave and drop out with no grant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

From what i've seen it depends on your class tutor/Course head.

I know two lads who attended third level, who traveled into college together and had the exact same attendance as each other, both around the 60% mark.

One was cut and the other wasn't. I have also seen people who never go in to lectures who don't get cut so i'm assuming it depends on whether your college informs the VEC.

What exactly has your attendance been?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

never heard of daily attendance or lack of it being reported back to the awarding authority.......now that you mention it it should probably be............

p28559 wrote: »
    never heard of daily attendance or lack of it being reported back to the awarding authority.......now that you mention it it should probably be............
    Well how would they know to penalise recipients unless they are made aware of attendance?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

i didnt think colleges recorded whether an individual turned up for x out of y days........an individual who does not attend the assigned lectures should in my opinion not be grant aided.

p28559 wrote: »
    i didnt think colleges recorded whether an individual turned up for x out of y days........an individual who does not attend the assigned lectures should in my opinion not be grant aided.

If you miss too many lectures you grant is reduced or revoked that is the whole point. However it will vary as all colleges/lecturers/VEC's operate different. I know this to be fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭getsome

My friend two years ago had a meeting with the head of his department over attendance, he never went in yet he still picked up a nice cheque every 3 months of over 2000€ this was two years ago so.

If you leave your course without attempting end of year exams you will not be able to get a grant again, as far as i know.

Advertisement