Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Commute Tallaght to Dundrum

Options
  • 02-02-2012 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

Gentlecyclists,

My cycling has taken a forced break thanks to a somewhat random case of pneumonia.

In the meantime we're moving apartment and I'm going to have to figure out the best route from Tallaght (beside the square) to Dundrum Town Centre.

At a guess I would have thought I'd need to follow the N81 as far as Templeogue Bridge and then take a right turn when I cross through Rathfarnham village and then on towards Dundrum via Nutgrove.

Google maps (on walking directions) is telling me to turn off (there are...cycle lanes) the N81/M50 roundabout and join up with Firhouse road, then follow butterfield avenue and through Grange road to Nutgrove Ave, and then Dundrum.

Has anyone got any tips? I tried cycling to the new Dundrum SC via Terenure/Templeogue one morning and getting to the centre entrances was a bit of a pain approaching from the other side.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

N81-R112 or maybe R113-R114-Grange Road-Nutgrove Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, there's a "cycle lane" at the N81/M50 interchange which goes across the M50 separately. However, there's no easy transition from the road to this cycle lane - afair, there are barriers too, so you'll have to dismount and walk over to it. By the time you've done that you could have cycled through the roundabout.

Cycling through the M50 roundabout is not unsafe or impossible but I wouldn't be rushing to do it in heavy rain or high winds. It really requires balls of steel as you'll have to ride in the middle of the centre lane as you approach the roundabout and you need to be doing over 35km/h. I've done it, but on a bright sunny Sunday with light traffic.
    Likewise the Spawell roundabout is doable, but is manic at peak times and you'd be better off going down to Templeogue bridge and taking the right turn there.

The N81 is great because on a typical Irish day with a moderate westerly, you can fly it. However the route proposed by Lumen where you go down via Old Bawn and Firhouse takes you away from the M50 traffic. It will probably add a minute or two onto the commute overall, but the traffic is "normal" speed and there are no crazy junctions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭mediwheel

I used to this regulararly, Main Road, cycle bridge over M50, 3rd exit at Spawell roundabout, firehouse road, butterfield, left onto fairways ( rathfarnham shopping center ), right onto dodder park road and straight accross to dundrum. Through templouge village on return journey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If you're going to Dundrum shopping centre coming from Nutgrove direction, you're better turning right at Nutgrove SC, and going down Barton road east. This is a quieter road with decent cycle lanes that drops you right into the rear of Dundrum shopping centre. The cycle lanes further up Nutgrove avenue are a disaster, as they end suddenly in places, forcing you to hop off the pavement and into traffic. Way better to just stay in the traffic to start with.

For Dundrum village, Nutgrove avenue - Upper Churchtown road is the better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

If it was me:

Old Bawn Road
    Killinniny Rd
    St Colmcille's Way
    Scholarstown Rd
    Taylors Lane, turn left at the Grange Golf Club, then
    Whitechurch Rd, take the first right onto
    Sarah Curran Ave
    Barton Rd West
    Grange Manor Rd
    Barton Rd East
    Dundrum SC

Only tricky bit is from Barton Rd West to Grange Manor Road, you need to turn left just before the end of Barton Rd West, then right and go through a pedestrian/cycle barrier to get to Grange Manor Estate on the other side.

Other than that its pretty much a straight run IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Russman wrote: »
    If it was me:

Old Bawn Road
    Killinniny Rd
    St Colmcille's Way
    Scholarstown Rd
    Sarah Curran Ave
    Barton Rd West
    Grange Manor Rd
    Barton Rd East
    Dundrum SC

Only tricky bit is from Barton Rd West to Grange Manor Road, you need to turn left just before the end of Barton Rd West, then right and go through a pedestrian/cycle barrier to get to Grange Manor Estate on the other side.

+1 Very mellow, low traffic way of doing the last bit to Dundrum, just bring your lights as that section of Whitechurch road, and Sarah Curran avenue aren't lit. If you don't have a decent front light, you can skip that bit, keep up the hill past Marley, and get onto Barton Road east via stone masons way. All decent on road cycle lanes, though a small extra hoof up the hill and a little bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Thanks a lot guys. Really helpful stuff.

Now I just need to wait until I don't get out of breath walking up the stairs again....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Russman wrote: »
    If it was me:

Old Bawn Road
    Killinniny Rd
    St Colmcille's Way
    Scholarstown Rd
    Sarah Curran Ave
    Barton Rd West
    Grange Manor Rd
    Barton Rd East
    Dundrum SC

+2 Couldn't have said it better myself except perhaps substitute park avenue, for barton road west so a quick right and first left at the end of sarah curran ave heading towards dundrum. There's a pedesrian path leading to Grange manor. Nice Route this one and relatively level to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I've nothing to add to the route suggestions, but I am familiar with the M50 roundabout. The infrastructure may not be first rate, but if you don't fancy milling around the roundabout at 35+ km/h, I think it's a reasonably decent alternative.

The barrier mentioned by seamus is no longer there (circled pink, below), now replaced by a switchback ramp to address the change in levels. You'll have to slow down to use it alright, but not dismount. If you're coming from The Square, a better approach might be along the old Blessington Road/Tallaght Road alignment, parallel to the N81.

Heading out of town, the access to the underpass is slightly hidden- look for the yellow diamond sign with the walking man on it (just beyond the right-hand edge of the attached image). I don't think there's a cycle sign anywhere, but it's definitely a cycle route. (Before anyone starts, this isn't an invitation to rehearse arguments on the legal requirements for cycle route signage- I think we're all familiar at this stage, thanks!)

M50_N81_RAB-1.jpg

(Red inbound, green outbound.)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Forgot about that. I think Doctor Bob is onto a winner there - the Main Street/Tallaght road links directly to the cycle path over the M50, in both directions. Quieter road, no messing with the junction.

Only problem with it is that it's not the best maintained or scenic route. Glass will likely be an occasional problem, and although it's generally safe you may occassionally have to deal with a gang of lads throwing stuff at you if you happen to be there at the wrong time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Minatauro

Hi there,

I head to sandyford from lucan and this is the route I take from tallaght

I pass ITT and head down tallaght main road until the very end.

Go under the M50 roudabout right across the dodder to mount carmel park come out at Harrys Pub and go stright through the crossroads onto ballycullen road.

Take first left at castlefield and across pedestrian bridge (not shown on map but you cant miss it :)) onto knocklyon road continue up the hill where the shops are and take the right turn up to roundabout.

Take first exit and continue along the scholarstown road.
    go straight through the next roundabout onto templeroan lodge.
    keep going to next roundabout and go straight through to Taylors lane.
    Just keep going straight onto Grange road keep going past the aldi/lidl? and you will come to a left turn onto Ballinteer Avenue.
    Keep going all the way to the end of Ballinteer Avenue to the roundabout and go left onto ballinteer road if you then continue straight on you will end up at the tesco garage in dundrum shopping centre.

Ive tried the various ways and this is safest and straightforward. No fun going up taylors lane but fun coming down:D I hope this may be of help to you?

Finally back on the bike and made it into work this morning in 35 minutes including a number of long waits at lights.

Hopefully I can get that down a bit after a few weeks re-adjustment (and if I can stop being too chicken to use my SPD shoes)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

seamus wrote: »
    Forgot about that. I think Doctor Bob is onto a winner there - the Main Street/Tallaght road links directly to the cycle path over the M50, in both directions. Quieter road, no messing with the junction.

Only problem with it is that it's not the best maintained or scenic route. Glass will likely be an occasional problem, and although it's generally safe you may occassionally have to deal with a gang of lads throwing stuff at you if you happen to be there at the wrong time.

You're having a laugh surely. I've lived along there for 25 years and never once had a gang a lads throw anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Finally back on the bike and made it into work this morning in 35 minutes including a number of long waits at lights.

Hopefully I can get that down a bit after a few weeks re-adjustment (and if I can stop being too chicken to use my SPD shoes)

What exact route did you go for ?

Bigus wrote: »

What exact route did you go for ?

Currently the best I can figure out is Tallaght village-underpass templeogue bridge- in front of Rathfarnham sc-right in front of the yellow house- straight to the Bottle tower-turn right to the Luas overpass-right into the village.

I'm trying to figure out the routes above as I go

Advertisement