Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neuropsychology questions

Options
  • 26-01-2012 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Doghouse wrote: »
    Lots of hospitals have clinical psychologists, and sometimes clinical neuropsychologists. I currently work in a hospital as a researcher and myself and three of the other research staff have psychology qualifications of some kind ranging from undergrad degrees to the clinical doctorate. There is also a psychology dept who carry out therapeutic work within the hospital. I know Beaumont have a neuropsychology department and there are also psychologists working in St. James', the NRH and the Mater. So that's just a few hospitals that I know of for sure. I'm sure there are psychology departments in lots of others. I've never heard of a surgical neuropsychologist and I'm not sure what one would be. Only doctors can go on to be surgeons of any kind. Neuropsychologists are involved in assessment, diagnosis and sometimes treatment of neurological conditions but that treatment would not involve carrying out any invasive procedures (such as surgery) nor prescribing drug therapy. If you go into research depending on where you do it you might be involved in stuff like MRI/fMRI/PET or experiments that involve stereotactic surgery on animals.

Those people that work as neuropsychologists ... how did they go about becoming qualified to work as that ? Does anyone know ? :) I'm currently studying science within which I can come out with a degree in neuroscience .. but the opportunity has now arisen that I can actually transfer into a psychology course.

Advertisement