Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Maths 2.. Help!!

Options
  • 02-02-2012 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.. I passed (albeit barely) Science Maths 1.. Has anyone done Science Maths 2 before? I would be a little more confident but we've changed lecturers and she's a lot different and I find it hard to follow her... Im a mature student so I haven't done maths since '04!!

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paulmacc

Hi there, I'm also a mature student and in Science Maths 2, and so far I've found it to be okay. I did Maths in Mary I quite a few years ago, so I'm fairly up to speed with what we're doing. If you want a hand with it, give me a shout, I'll be more than happy to spend some time with you going over it.

Cheers,
    Paul Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Thankies! I've missed some lectures due to a family bereavement so I'm already working to catching up and it's only week 2! :-O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Maths learning centre will be able to help you out in all areas of maths at your own speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Afaik, your class reps in that module are already working on it. I know about the....associated problems with that....*cough* module *cough* RG?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Such a clear and understanding lecturer... not!her modules are jokes!

• Advertisement

I know they're trying but I sincerely doubt we will get a lecturer changed.. I'd welcome Paddy back anyday!!
    MLC is not a very viable option for me im afraid because I work most of the time that im not in college so im never there when its open! All last semester I maybe had about two hours a week where I was free to go...

I'll trundle through and hope for the best.. I've missed a week of lectures due to family probs so I hope I'm not going back to Dutch thats even more doubled than before I left!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Thought I was the only one on Boards doing that module...
    Delighted now!
    Thank God notes are online anyway...
    Dyu ever think she's going to get that attendance sheet around in one lecture? :P

Oh and I hate the module,
    Lecturer is reading off the presentation and copying it onto the board asking us do we understand it.
    Now I like getting the class involved but it's almost impossible to do so and she does it for almost every question.
    I'm sure a lot of the stuff she's put up was in Paddy's notes from last Sem...

MLC will be welcoming one more student in despair in regards to Maths this year.
    Scraped a pass last sem, and I think the skin on my teeth is well and truly spent.
    Science learning centre might as well...
    Physical Chemistry -.-
    Anyway, veering off topic,
    In short, I feel your pain! :)

I've never gotten to sign it!!! Theres over 250 of us.. It ain't happening!!!

Scraped onto it the first time after turning up to the lecture 10 minutes late, wrong building :/, second time I was sitting by where it was handed out,
    Then no where near for any time after that...
    Can't possibly use it as an accurate mean for attendance...
    Fun watching her try though..
    If all 250 were present and lecture was on for full 50 minutes,
    Each student would have 12 seconds to find, sign and pass it on...
    You lose about 4 seconds passing it on, on average,
    That's 8 seconds,
    Lets say your gifted and it takes you 5 seconds to find your name,
    3 seconds.
    You have 5 seconds to get your pen, find something hard to lean it on, and sign your name.
    Now repeat this 250 times.
    I was ready for the book containing our names and it took me 20-30 seconds, and I had pen and backrest ready...
    What is she playing at!
    Didn't even think attendance counted in Maths, but if it does,
    Take it at Tutorials!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bambismom

Hattoncracker, would you consider getting a grind? I know a lot of people struggle with that module, I myself took a few classes to figure out that "eeex" actually meant "x". Perhaps if you could get a few people together you could organise a support tutorial. It doesn't necessarily need to be a lecturer that gives the tutorial. I'm a fourth year student and last year some of our class gave extra tutorials as part of the President's Volunteer Awards. It might be an idea.

• Advertisement

Dyu know when MLC starts up again this Sem?
    Might have to go this time,
    Should've went before Christmas really...
    It's sickening when you find out what she mispronounces because you notice it every single time!
    Her "u's" are "a's"
    Most commonly heard thus far in "f(u/a)nction"
    Every single time.

What courses are u guys doing, as a matter of interest?

Todays tutorial has Been moved to Friday, FYI!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Her "u's" are "a's"
    Most commonly heard thus far in "f(u/a)nction"
    Every single time.

Are you getting lectured by Rachel Allen?

OP, make sure you get your foundations right. From the looks of the exam papers, Science maths 2 builds a fair bit on 1. it might be helpful taking some time now to go back over your 1st module so that you are set up right for 2 - it might be much easier without the looming exam to get to grips with the topics ( i always find it to be so anyhow!).

Im not too bad on the first semester, I passed barely... Im spending.most.of my nights looking over my lecture notes and getting pretty stressed out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Brains?

I can never follow what she's doing!! she makes the simplest things complicated and tedious, I find myself falling asleep in almost all her lectures so far! :(

Its come to the stage where going to the lectures is nearly a disadvantage, and instead of going to the lectures, I would nearly be better off doing the work myself in the evening and going to the tutorials :o

I miss Paddy! :P

Brains? wrote: »
    I can never follow what she's doing!! she makes the simplest things complicated and tedious, I find myself falling asleep in almost all her lectures so far! :(

Its come to the stage where going to the lectures is nearly a disadvantage, and instead of going to the lectures, I would nearly be better off doing the work myself in the evening and going to the tutorials :o

I miss Paddy! :P

Me too... But in the beginning I found him hard to listen to aswell, so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt!

What courses are u guys doing, as a matter of interest?
    Pharmaceutical and Industrial Chemistry
    Gruesome.
    Todays tutorial has Been moved to Friday, FYI!
    E-mailed her saying I (or anyone from PAIC) couldn't make make the Tue tutorial so she changed it back to what it was in the beginning...
    4-5 Friday I think.
    dibkins wrote: »
    Are you getting lectured by Rachel Allen?
    Anything would be a step up... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Is she really as bad as it seems?

Ive a friend doing industrial biochem who claims people just downright disrespect her, make noises and nosiely walk out making scenes? any truth?

Ive a friend doing industrial biochem who claims people just downright disrespect her, make noises and nosiely walk out making scenes? any truth?

I haven't been to one in a week but people do walk out in the middle of class. Ive never done it and I never would, she's just different to what I'm used to.

• Advertisement

That's it really yeah,
    They turn up to try and sign a sheet and nothing else..
    Yawn loudly, cough, and a variety of other noises,
    Again, just disrupting.
    People frequently walk out too yeah,
    Typically about 20 minutes towards the endish,
    Or just after they sign in.

Honestly don't know why they show really..
    But yeah, it's a hard enough subject already without adding bits and pieces like this to it.

Maths Learning Centre - Monday at 6PM I think FYI

That's it really yeah,
    They turn up to try and sign a sheet and nothing else..
    Yawn loudly, cough, and a variety of other noises,
    Again, just disrupting.
    People frequently walk out too yeah,
    Typically about 20 minutes towards the endish,
    Or just after they sign in.

Honestly don't know why they show really..
    But yeah, it's a hard enough subject already without adding bits and pieces like this to it.

Maths Learning Centre - Monday at 6PM I think FYI

Ill be at that.. Got the mail earlier!

Likewise,
    Actually don't mind staying back after 6 if I'm going to get something out of it

Advertisement