Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat watches TV

Options
  • 02-02-2012 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

My cat watches TV if we are watching nature documentaries. She has a preference for programmes featuring cats of any description - she was fascinated by one about tigers this evening. She's also interested in rodents.

Anyone else have a TV watching pet?

(I figure its like a window for her. She spends quite a bit of time on the windowsills, looking out. We don't have a cat-flap so she has to wait for someone to be home to let her out.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Yep, my lorikeet likes music videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

My Jack russel stares at the tv whenever another dog or cat is on, she twitches her head side to side whenever the laughing babies advert comes on :P And my chinchilla comes out of his hut and jumps up on his shelf to stare at the tv as soon as the classical music channel comes on, its only that channel though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

My cat watches Match of the Day with my OH. It's cute, my two men and their footie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

My cats aren't arsed with the TV and they're panned out here on the mat in front of the fire!

We have a cat flap I but don't know if thats the reason for the lack of interest in tv or whether its because my husband only watches ****e on it!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

No interest in the tv whatsoever, the cat will follow the mouse cursor though. And this evening she was sitting right up close to a photo of herself and staring at it for a good 5 minutes, I'm not sure if there was just a reflection in the glass that she could see but she was very interested in it whatever it was about that photo. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Our old dog used to bark his head off whenever a horse appeared on TV,weirdly he'd seen actual horses out on walks loads of times and was never bothered by them.Quite an odd dog,was auld Socks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

my older dog Lily loves watching tv. She watches 'deal or no deal' with my dad (i do not! Ha)
    Any sort of animal, whether real or cartoon, she can see & will generally react to. It's gas how much she can obviously see.

She doesn't like certain presenters & will
    giveout to them.

She will watch my laptop, especially if I'm looking at the 'post your pet pics' thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭northern lights

Cooper, our collie x, is a total telly addict and would happily sit watching telly all day if he could! He's not really fussy what's on, apart from eastenders, which he refuses to watch! H
    It's very funny watching his head going from side to side as he follows what's going on. If horse-racing comes on he ducks his head as the horses come towards him on the screen.
    He's bonkers but wouldn't have him any other way :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lucycat

star-pants & northern lights snap! My cats like cartoons, they both started chattering angrily at SpongeBob SquarePants the other day (I think its because his pet snail makes a 'meow' noise for whatever reason!) and the girls took grave exception to this :D

The new little one Phoebe (shih tzu puppy) watches whatever is on, she is obsessed with telly! I swear, once she hears the Corrie theme tune she belts into the sitting room* like a looney! It is so funny :D

*may in fact be related to the biccie eating that goes on during Corrie lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

One of my cats loves nature programs too and anything with any animals so I got him the feline frolics DVD. It keeps him entertained for hours. You can get it on amazon and it plays soothing music in the background and has various rodents, fish, birds doing things and making their noises on the screen. He adores it and stays glued until it's turned off.

The only thing is he now hops up on the TV stands and starts pawing at the flatscreen and my OH is convinced he is going to claw his way through the telly someday on his quest to find one of these TV pets.

I have to admit I get into it myself...it's very relaxing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

The pup just watches the tv but the older lad feels he has to participate. Barks bike mad and jumps at the tv for any animal thats on it. The latest favourite of his is toilet duck. you have to be on the ball with him

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

up until last week I would have said no interest, then we were watching earth flight on BBC last week and our cat went mental and started pawing the telly trying to get at the birds - it was great!!!
    then last night he went over and said hello to a tiger (also on bbc), must have been the same programme :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I sometimes put on animal planet for my Jack Russell if it's a rotten day and she's bored.:D

She loves all the rspca animal rescue type programmes and will sit up growling and giving little barks at any dog or cat she sees. It keeps her entertained for ages!

My other dog isn't interested in the tv at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My youngest Jack goes absolutely mental at any animal like pictures on TV:p

I mean really bonkers, she will usually pick up the nearest fluffy thing and try to kill it when she sees something, she also knows exactly which ads need her to watch and she will sit and stare until the animal she is expecting comes up :D

It's funny but surprisingly limits what we can watch :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

SingItOut wrote: »
    My Jack russel stares at the tv whenever another dog or cat is on, she twitches her head side to side whenever the laughing babies advert comes on
    My youngest Jack goes absolutely mental at any animal like pictures on TV:p
    I sometimes put on animal planet for my Jack Russell if it's a rotten day and she's bored.:D

Must be a Jack Russell thing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I think you might be onto something. You should see my Jacker if i stick on a video of himself chasing a ball or something. Absolute chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

One of ours loves watching sport - but only if New Zealand are playing in rugby or Newcastle in football, i.e. teams wearing black and white.

Funnily enough, she's black and white too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Must be a Jack Russell thing! :D

That's cus they are the cleverest dogs on the planet ... Proud slave to 3 lunatic jacks and an eccentric springer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

My cat is not interested in the telly at all, but he is watching me closely, whenever I do something on the computer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Coco loves watching TV. Any programmes with animals, particularly cats, dogs and horses. Cats, and in particular the Siamese on the IAMS ad have her barking like crazy. Dogs and horses she watches intently until they've gone off the screen.

I was watching the Australian Open tennis last week and the screetch of the tennis shoes on the court set her off as well, she must have thought it was an animal making a noise.

Benson has no interest in TV. When he first arrived he was a bit scared of it when we put it on but it doesn't bother him now and doesn't focus on animals like Coco does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tegan likes nature documentaries too. Especially ones with polar bears.

Rani is only interested if there are birds making noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Our cat is a big fan of nature documentaries, especially ones about snakes.

She was very interested in the documentary about Dublin Zoo that aired last year, especially the flamingos and the IKEA add with all the cats- the little orange fellow at the end who closes his eyes, she would close her eyes back at him.

She also loves cartoons and was riveted to Beverly Hills Chihuahua last night:D

But her absolute favourite is watching 'Stalking cat' on Youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

One of my cats loved watching nature programmes.

If there were any kind of birds on the screen, he'd try to attack them! It was so funny watching Snoopy assume the position, stalking the screen, and then launching his attack...It was also hilarious to watch the look of surprise on his face trying to make out why he couldn't catch anything!!:D I literally had tears of laughter running down my cheeks...

God knows what he'd of made of 3D TV!!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

my westie molly always watches tv.... she would sit on your lap for hours staring and if there is any animal on it she starts to growl or wag her tail!

the funniest was watching marley and me because she kept trying to get behind the tv to look for the dog, another bad one is must love dogs!!

anyone else have a apple tv with the animal screensaver??
    now molly would watch that for hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

My female guinea pig watches tv, the male has no interest. The cats watch the odd time, they are more interested in sleeping by the fire!

Advertisement