Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EMT

Options
  • 01-02-2012 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Does anybody know if you can use your EMT qualification to work abroad in Canada or the U.S?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭47

Definatltey not in America because each state has differents standards of training for EMT/Paramedic.

A colleauge of mine did mention something about using the EMT qualification in Canada, I cant remember if he said it was recognised or there was a written and practical test to apply for the equivelant. I am not sure how true this is though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 macattack87

Thanks a million, ya i know its very confusing trying to get information on it. I'm sure i'll probably have to do some sort of practical and written exam but as long as i'd get a job afterwards that be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

National Registry is required in most US States, and they dont offer reciprocation for PHECC / NQEMT.

While Irish EMT is a higher standard in terms of hours of training than that in some US states, its scope of practice is much lower than that of what EMTs (EMT Basics) over there can do in most states.

Not withstanding that if you have a visa there are plenty of employment opportunities and careers in EMS over there. You could easily find an EMT- Basic course over there for around $500, and if you have a little time on your hands you can find them in community colleges for as little as $80. EMT-Intermediate/Advanced and Paramedic courses are significantly more expensive, but many companies will put you through advanced training once your employed by them.

However Id be warned that pure EMS is more a way of life than a mere job over there. Fire department EMS is slightly different but often for them the fire dept is their way of life. Of all anti-social /stressful jobs it consistently ranks as one of the lowest paid based on hourly rates in the US. If your doing 911 work you may be required to do standbys/on-call/ 24 or 48 hour shifts and will rarely be paid more than $10 an hour, although you do get pension + benefits with most services. There are also many many cowboy private ambulance outfits that may never pay you.

If you have a few euro to spare Id suggest subscribing to the Journal of Emergency Medical Services - even if you dont go to the states its very educational and great for keeping you up to date on best practice/ recent discoveries, but if you are thinking of going it often has ads looking for staff. Many services offer re-location bonuses to qualified staff, particularly if you got to Paramedic Level.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

Have to more or less agree with the above. If you have US Natl Registery, you can challenge the State test in most states and you will get your EMT in that state. However, you will hove to fight through the various admin requirements, many states track you by Social Security Number or driving license number, which have gotten very hard if not impossible to obtain without some sort of residency visa/permit.

If you have a visa, it's not a bad gig. The private providers tend to pay lower than public ones, especially if they are non-emergency providers (interfacility transfer, etc), but it's a good way to gain experience. 911 providers pay better, although again, the private ones are profit driven, so they tend to have lower wages & less attractive conditions than public ones.

Agree, look at the JEMS "help wanted" pages, it'll give you an idea of what to expect. However, without a visa/permit, I think it would be very difficult indeed.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

An option is to work as an EMT in A&E departments. They might take the PHECC EMT. They look for training but technically you will be licensed under the attending physician.
    When I worked in the A&E in Seattle they wanted my EMT cert to get me the job, but it was worthless as a license to work in the department.
    Once I got hired they got me a 'Health Care Assistant' cert that was signed by one of the docs.

I agree with the above posts about salary. Paramedics in rural US start out at $11 per hour. That is barely above minimum wage here in Ireland.
    EMTs start around $8. Try to eat and pay rent off of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

BoonDoc wrote: »
    An option is to work as an EMT in A&E departments. They might take the PHECC EMT. They look for training but technically you will be licensed under the attending physician.
    When I worked in the A&E in Seattle they wanted my EMT cert to get me the job, but it was worthless as a license to work in the department.
    Once I got hired they got me a 'Health Care Assistant' cert that was signed by one of the docs.

I agree with the above posts about salary. Paramedics in rural US start out at $11 per hour. That is barely above minimum wage here in Ireland.
    EMTs start around $8. Try to eat and pay rent off of that!

Good point by boon. While the general qualification or background of an ER Technician in my state was NREMT-I or NREMT-P, there were some who for whatever reason no longer had National Registry or State registration. (My state required that you get National Registry to register the first time, then the state recognises and licenses you based on it, but that in subsequent years you just had to maintain state licensing and could let NR lapse if you were in practice). In reality these were normally the older members of staff but it could be an option.

If your really eager, theres plenty of volunteer fire / ems departments with living quarters on site. If you can get the Visa sorted some do welcome EMT students who want to stay rent free in return for going on shift / on call on a VERY regular basis (although often these are quiet enough services in terms of call volume). One Canadian got right through from Basic to Paramedic in a local Junior College in my area through doing this. It also allows you to clock up some calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 omac

Hi, just wondering if any of you know if you can use your PHECC EMT to work as an ECA in Uk and is there anything in specific that you have to do to get recognised and who to contact etc.,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

^ Step up in an interview is about as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

Hi OP! I've looked into it myself for next year or the following year. It is possible in the US, I have been onto some Ambulance Companies in Pittsburgh and in New York. Each Ambulance service is different. Some just have a "No" answer and some will look into a conversion for you. Just contact a few different companies to see what their story is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ruairit

Anybody know how I can work in canada with my Irish EMT, or do I need to up skill.

• Advertisement

The Primary Care Paramedic is equal to the Irish EMT. The problem is that every province has their own criteria and certification. You need to choose where you want to go and contact that EMS system directly.

thanks for that info Boondoc, I want to go to Alberta with my Irish EMT, Have you gone to Canada with your Emt or do you know somebody who has. It would be great to chat with someone who has done this, to find out what is involved.

If you want to go to Alberta you will need to apply for reciprocity into their EMT-Basic qualification. Contact their health department directly for reciprocity options.

My only experience was in BC where it was an act of god to get reciprocity. I hope for your sake that Alberta is more lenient.

I hope so too, I want to try and work in the oil sands in Alberta, there is good money there.

There is better money as a paramedic. Have you thought about upskilling into an ALS level of training?

I was of going for the AREMT, which is the remote medic. There is a company in Wexford which run that course for E4000. If would be good if I could get that recognized in Canada. Did it take you long to get your Emt recognized in BC and did it cost much. Are you working full time with your PCP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

BoonDoc wrote: »
    There is better money as a paramedic. Have you thought about upskilling into an ALS level of training?

Brother was a paramedic for the Navy Service he then moved to the Irish Army for about 4 years got a lot of training with them, he then moved to the Southern Health Board now called the HSE, Still very limited to what he can / can not do.

Still the paramedics here are not at the standard of what you see in the rest of Europe and far behind the way the States train their EMT & paramedics.

The brother went over to England and done a 24 week first responder / Bike Paramedic course, still the paramedic bike course is still not available here. you get the same training as a doctor would get on a call out.

here if you need anything a doctor has to go.

It is only about 5 to 7 years ago Irish paramedics couldn't break the skin of a patient,

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Cork24 wrote: »
    here if you need anything a doctor has to go.

If you are speaking of Ireland then you are incorrect. A Paramedic has autonomy to work on their own up to their skill level, likewise an Advanced Paramedic has autonomy to exercise their skills which include intubation, IV and IO access, administration of ALS drugs and also morphine, midazolam and fentanyl as well as an array of other medications, all without the requirement of a doctor being present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

It's only lately that emts etc can give injections etc to patients,

About 7 years ago a patient who was having a heart attack sued the Southern health board. As he was given an injection to help the heart by an emt who was trained to give injections but was not allowed under the rules..

My brother had 3 people die from drug over dose in the back while on the way to the a&e as they couldn't give them a drug that would take them down from a high

Cork24 wrote: »
    Brother was a paramedic for the Navy Service he then moved to the Irish Army for about 4 years got a lot of training with them, he then moved to the Southern Health Board now called the HSE, Still very limited to what he can / can not do.

Still the paramedics here are not at the standard of what you see in the rest of Europe and far behind the way the States train their EMT & paramedics.

It is only about 5 to 7 years ago Irish paramedics couldn't break the skin of a patient,

That really doesn't make sense. I've lived in the US, UK, Canada and Australia who all have systems that would not tolerate this. Hell, I have even visited third world countries who would not be satisfied to let this happened.

Why is Ireland willing to let people die?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Donadea lad

Is it possible to work in Vancouver BC, Canada with an irish Emt.

Advertisement