Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Balally, Dundrum or Ballinteer ??

Options
  • 01-02-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We are considering buying a house in one of these areas. We are coming from a bad experience of a first house purchase and don't want to make a mistake of choosing a bad, child-unfriendly location again.

We've been doing a lot of research but would really appreciate some opinions from people living in these areas. What are they like for small children? What are they like for parents? Schools? etc.

Our first preference would be for Balally (in particular Balally Drive), until people started to tell us about the Moreen area. Any feedback about this and the Balally Shopping Centre? Our second preference would be for Ballinteer, either Broadford or Ludford. Again I'd appreciate any feedback, opinions, observations etc.

Or if there are any other housing estates in the area that are nice and safe, safety being very important.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'm living in Balally (on Balally Drive!). I grew up not too far from here so I know the area fairly well.

We've a small baby, and picked this area because we think it's great for kids. St. Olaf's is a primary school on Balally Drive, about half way between Dundrum TC and Balally SC. Queen of Angels is another primary school at the Balally end of Balally Drive. There's a lovely creche next door to Olafs as well that I'm hoping to take advantage of in the future!
    There's hopefully going to be an Educate Together school (pending patronage being decided) either in Balinteer or Stepaside.
    Secondary schools- Wesley is a private co-ed school within walking distance, there's a private girls school currently being built on Sandyford road... there's a couple of other schools within walking distance (St. Tiernans, St. Benildus, St. Raphaelas) but I don't know much about them. I'm less worried about secondary schools in the area, as I think by that age, the Luas will link to plenty of schools.

Ballawley Park is across the Sandyford road, and has a nice little playground that is in good condition, whenever we're out walking there we usually see a parent and some kids in it. It's a lovely park too, not huge, but nice to walk around. It's not lit up, but very safe. There's also a "green" at the top of Balally Drive on Balally Hill, that has goals set up. Think there's a soccer league or something, often see a match there on a Saturday. Kilmacud has playing grounds too, but I haven't really ventured that direction much yet.

We're a 5 minute walk from the Kilmacud Luas stop, 10 minutes to Balally Luas in one direction, 10 minutes to Stillorgan Luas in the other direction. Couple of buses handy on Sandyford Road, and on the Kilmacud road too as far as I know.

Dundrum TC is a 10 minute walk away for me, great for late night chemist (11pm every night) or 24 hour Tesco... always handy for Calpol emergencies! Another late night Cheminst at the Balally Luas stop as well.

All our neighbours are very friendly, but keep their distance as well, if that makes sense. They all came and welcomed us to the area with a card, or bottle of wine, even a little toy for the baby... and the "don't hesitate to ask..." in a genuine way.

Moreen is a good bit away- it's across the other side of the m50 in Sandyford village. And it's not the same place it used to be, it's matured a lot since it's rougher days.
    Balally SC is fine too, the pub there doesn't look the most appealing but I don't plan on hanging around outside it too often so that doesn't bother me. I've passed it plenty of times to call into Supervalu for groceries or the post office there and never had even a side ways glance.
    Four Star Pizza, a chipper and an off licence nice and handy for a night in as well. :)

For parents- there's Winters bar in Dundrum TC, and a few pubs in Dundrum village that (without having being there recently) I remember to be nice. There's also The Step Inn in Stepaside village which is not too far away... The Mill Theatre in Dundrum as well do plays etc.

Honestly, so far I can't say enough about the area. It's nice and quiet, it's so convenient for everything, neighbours are good, going to be great for the little fella growing up!
    If there's anything in paticular you want to know about it that I haven't mentioned here, feel free to ask or PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

liliq has summed it up very well. I lived in Wedgewood estate for about 5 years before moving to another location within the area and never had any issues. The Village Inn (or whatever the pub in Balally SC is called) may draw in a few strange looking people but generally everyone keeps to themselves and it's handy being close for the essentials. And being walking distance to Dundrum and Luas stops is very very handy. Lots of people in the area have young kids so I doubt they'd be living there if it wasn't suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Don't have much direct experience of Balally, but it seems generally quiet and settled. My only concern would be that you might not find too many neighbours with kids around. If all your neighbours are much older, then your kids will tend to be more housebound.

The same would probably apply to Ludford or Broadford as well. Ballintyre might have a much younger crowd, with lots of young kids around. Woodpark would have a youngish crowd too, maybe not quite so young as Ballintyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Ludford is a great location.

St Attractas Primary school is a very short walk and it is an excellent school, and the Meadowbrook swimming pool and sports centre is very close too.

You should also consider Meadowbrook which is right beside Ludford.

Both are very child-friendly locations.

I live around there and love it. Very safe for kids to walk to school and very friendly neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Unsinnig

I'm across from the SC and church, and the area is generally quiet enough. The lads from 86 are, however, known for racing their dirtbikes through the park and tearing up the grass at all hours and trying to figure out how an accelerator and clutch works on a souped up boy racer mobile, as well as generally hanging around trying to be menacing (and failing horribly, as is expected). Skanger is as skanger does. They'll either grow up (soon hopefully), or be sorted out as deserved.

That said, I've no problems playing in the park with my daughter or walking around and through the estate at any time of day or night. A few bad apples should not spoil your choice, as there'll be uncouth yobs in almost any area you decide on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 susanbrooks30

Could I please ask for your thoughts in Wedgewood? We're looking at a house there and I don't know the area.. its on Hawthorn .. any help appreciated S

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

I would think most people would be quite happy there, it's generally quiet and you have plenty of amenities on your doorstep. 20 years ago it and more so Moreen across the road would have been the more 'interesting' estates in the area but both are now quite settled.

Advertisement