Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a Phone (PSTN) Line but Don't Want an Eircom Contract

Options
  • 01-02-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

I think this issue has come up before but I haven't read of any simple solution (Comreg involved).

I'm looking for a broadband package in a rural area of Louth. I would like to go with Vodafone because they have the best download allowance.

However, I don't seem to be able to avoid subscribing to a line rental contract with Eircom. This galls me enormously. They are the one company I'd most like to avoid (censorship, unpleasant customer service and uncompetitive offers) but it seems I have absolutely no choice.

What's more, I was talking to their sales personnel and was told that there was no guarantee that the line I would get would support broadband (the girl flatly insisted that each house in the area had an independent line to the exchange, that a new line would be required but that there was no way they could tell in advance if it could support broadband. I assume the truth of the matter is that it is just the line from the pole to the house that is required and the rest of it is as old as the hills).

I believe there is a 7 day cooling off period but I've read elsewhere that it is from the date ordered and that it may take up to 10 days to get the line. So my opportunity to back out would have expired before learning if the line can support broadband :(

It's a bit of a sticky wicket. Has anyone encountered this before and found a solution. Any advice at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

eircom will be in liquidation by the end of the year if it cant find a buyer

it already owes 3.75bil euros in debts. Noone wants to buy shares cos in it's entire existance as eircom it has never made a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nothingbetter2d, please don't clog up the thread with irrelevant information.

humbert, you can order a line from Vodafone, but it seems that quite often the sales people aren't fully aware that they can do this. You need to find someone who is aware of it, and order from them. Try the Vodafone forum is you don't get anywhere with the sales people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 meghan!

u can go with upc... they charge around 65 for broadband, line rental plus the upc box... its really good value

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

jor el wrote: »
    Nothingbetter2d, please don't clog up the thread with irrelevant information.

humbert, you can order a line from Vodafone, but it seems that quite often the sales people aren't fully aware that they can do this. You need to find someone who is aware of it, and order from them. Try the Vodafone forum is you don't get anywhere with the sales people.

Thanks,
    I was told that they could reconnect the line if it had been disconnected for less than a year (I assume that means if the line is in situ) but it's been disconnected for about a decade. Do you think they might still be able to do it? I'll investigate further, it's a very appealing.

Every online test has indicated that UPC isn't available anywhere nearby and where it is available it's just for TV.

Advertisement