Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving test

Options
  • 01-02-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

just booked my driving test any advice before i take it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

kevin-46 wrote: »
    just booked my driving test any advice before i take it ?
    Lifesavers!

Do a pretest lesson if you can, just so nothing on the day surprises you.

Know the questions (roadsigns, maintenence, etc.) You don't want to have marks against you before you even get on the bike!

After that its just a test of your basic ability to control the bike. Easy peasy;)

Apply for the full as soon as you can after passing. The two years only starts ticking when the licence is issued.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Lifesavers! ....

Best of luck.

I have mine booked for the 22nd of Feb.

My one flaw is this. I'm drilling it into my head at the moment.

Turning up a little bit beforehand helped to calm the nerves for me (mind you I did originally show up a full month early).

The pre-test lessons I did were in the same area that the test was conducted in (Naas) so I was familiar with the exact route well in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Lifesavers!

Do a pretest lesson if you can, just so nothing on the day surprises you.

Know the questions (roadsigns, maintenence, etc.) You don't want to have marks against you before you even get on the bike!

After that its just a test of your basic ability to control the bike. Easy peasy;)

Apply for the full as soon as you can after passing. The two years only starts ticking when the licence is issued.

Best of luck.

haven got money for pretest driven everyday so not a prop
    i know the maintenance of a bike cause i service my bike etc so not a prop there etc

ill go over the theory test cd to help me should be grand other wise

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There are different skills to passing the test than normal driving. Also a local instructor, or a good one, will know the idiosyncrasies of the tester. A pre test also puts you into the right frame of mind for passing a test and unless you're the best rider in the world you'll have some bad habits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Del2005 wrote: »
    There are different skills to passing the test than normal driving. Also a local instructor, or a good one, will know the idiosyncrasies of the tester. A pre test also puts you into the right frame of mind for passing a test and unless you're the best rider in the world you'll have some bad habits.

Agreed - you probably have a bunch of bad habits due to your normal riding. The pre-test is definitely worth it - even getting you used to having an earpiece in and taking instruction while riding. One of my bad habits was a double life-saver when coming up to roundabouts - i would have been marke down for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I've an L vest if you need it!

DaveD wrote: »
    I've an L vest if you need it!
    no its grand mate have one cheers

I rode mine every day for two years before I got around to doing a test and still took some pointers from the pre-test lesson. As others have said riding a bike and passing a test are not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I booked mine a week ago. I choose the cancellations option. Maybe I would have been quicker just booking a normal test?

• Advertisement

do i have to 1)Mirrors 2)Indicate 3)Lifesaver 4)Move.. every turn ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

As said above: LIFESAVERS and lots of them, every time you manouver etc.

bladespin wrote: »
    As said above: LIFESAVERS and lots of them, every time you manouver etc.
    sound ill just keep doin it over and over till i get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

do i have to 1)Mirrors 2)Indicate 3)Lifesaver 4)Move.. every turn ??

yes and for going past parked cars. Basically any manoeuver which involves you changing your road position.
    tester is looking for observation and intent. And not just looking with your eyes, move your head!!
    Also need to check your blindspots at every turn and at roundabouts.

You will also have to ride slowly as the tester walks along side you.
    The overtaking maneuver
    the emergency breaking which is just reducing your speed from 60 to 30kph if i remember correctly.
    180 degree turn without putting your foot down.
    Hill start

Make sure your brake is engaged everytime your stopped.

The tester has a full motorcyle license as well as a car so they know what to look out for.

also dont worry if you fook up the theory questions as they are only one section and can only cost you one tick.

you should fork out for the pretest man.
    The instructor will know the route as well.
    I did one 2 hours before my test, if i hadnt i would have failed as i got 6 blue ticks and i think your only allowed 9.

skelliser wrote: »
    yes and for going past parked cars. Basically any manoeuver which involves you changing your road position.
    tester is looking for observation and intent. And not just looking with your eyes, move your head!!
    Also need to check your blindspots at every turn and at roundabouts.

You will also have to ride slowly as the tester walks along side you.
    The overtaking maneuver
    the emergency breaking which is just reducing your speed from 60 to 30kph if i remember correctly.
    180 degree turn without putting your foot down.
    Hill start

Make sure your brake is engaged everytime your stopped.

The tester has a full motorcyle license as well as a car so they know what to look out for.

you should fork out for the pretest man.
    The instructor will know the route as well.
    I did one 2 hours before my test, if i hadnt i would have failed as i got 6 blue ticks and i think your only allowed 9.

ye haven got the money mate just paid my insurance and now the test ill keep practicing when im out and a bout im out every day so see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

well head over to biker .ie
    there is a big thread there on the test do's/donts, plenty of good advice.

skelliser wrote: »
    well head over to biker .ie
    there is a big thread there on the test do's/donts, plenty of good advice.
    way a head off ye read it 3 times already thanks

found this video on youtube i know its in the uk up could help others
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PFH8KeltQ0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

found this video on youtube i know its in the uk up could help others
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PFH8KeltQ0

Is it a requirement to indicate right before the u turn? no indication in that vid for both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

and watch which foot you put down when you stop - always cover back brake when stopped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Have a read of this for some more pointers.

http://www.motorbiketraining.net/pdfs/PRE%20TEST%202010.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

I know you have already said no to this, but speaking from experience, spending €35 for an hours training / pre-test session would be much better than paying 70 (or is it 80) for another test if you fail the first - just saying.

oleras wrote: »
    Is it a requirement to indicate right before the u turn? no indication in that vid for both of them.
    You should be indicating left when you are pulled in and then indicate right before making the manouvere. Which is ridiculous, as you should never be attempting a u turn if there is anyone around to indicate to!

how much is a pre-test ??

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

same price as a lesson :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Does clothing matter much? I wear jeans with kevlar in them and armor in the knees but they just look like normal jeans, the instructor would presume that they're everyday jeans. Would I be better off buying more obvious motorcycle gear to make a good impression on the instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

well it is 1st impressions and all that like,make a good start and the rest follows yeno,em good safety gear is a bonus plus,,that dosent mean ya cant borrow a mates textiles for the day either:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Agreed. Make sure you look the part when you first meet the examiner. I wore heavily armoured trousers, a full face helmet with pinlock system and an armoured jacket with a neck that went up as high as my jawline.

I know it depends on the tester but my examiner was keen on talking about the manner in which I restricted my bike and whether I had opted for that particular restriction or whether it came from factory.

I'd say the talking alone (nevermind the question/answer session!) took up a good ten minutes before he decided to start the test. I knew he had to rush as I wasn't asked to move the bike or perform an overtake. Just emergency slow/u turn and slow driving.

My advice? Try and be up to date on Rules of the Road and Hand Signals etc. Try to get out of the office without a tick against you. That and Life Savers. For the love of God lifesavers..!

I got four Grade 2s on my sheet and all of them related to Life Saver prior to turning right on a junction. Although that wasn't bad (and a pass! ;)) I was kicking myself as my instructor explicitly pointed this flaw out to me. I do it two out of every three times I turn but always seem to neglect it that third time..which afterall could be the time I should have done it most..!

Other piece of advice..regardless of riding experience I'd strongly advise one or two lessons, and a pre-test..before taking it. I found it a world of help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Get some lessons from a professional , it is the only answer to your question.
    Blunt but it is the surest way to give you a fair chance of passing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement