Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT fail price of replacing coil spring

Options
  • 01-02-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

My 02 Clio 1.2 didn't pass NCT because of two damaged rear coil spring.

Some "famous" garages ask for 170 ~ 200 EURO! And the dealer is crazy...

I checked on the internet and the parts should cost 30 - 50 EURO.

What would be the best offer of replacing a pair of rear coil spring please?

Is under 100 Euro possible?

I live in Dublin.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I'm not sure about clio, but afair it's very similar suspension construction as in fiat bravo.

In my bravo to change rear springs, all you needed was 17mm spanner, and about 10 minutes work for each side.

I'm sure you can find someone who can do it for you cheaper than 100 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RichDING

Thank you, CiniO! It's a relief.

Does anybody know anyone or any independent garage can do this job for me in Dublin, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Was the brand of spring you found online the same brand you were quoted for in the garage?

Was the brand of spring you found online the same brand you were quoted for in the garage?
    It is a clio MK2 1.2 2002. and all I can find online would be below 45 euro for a pair. I wouldn't mind they get some profit, but the best offer I got from a garage was 80 quid for a pair (Twice of the price of the best stuff online). And they charge another 100 quid for labor cost.

From what I hear from this forum, I am willing to pay for 1/2 hour labor cost plus the parts with some reasonable profit. Is there a trustworthy person anybody can recommend up the job, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Does the 02 clio have rear springs ?
    The older models dident
    Think it was called a torogen system ?

• Advertisement

Yes, they are rear coil springs. The NCT guy said its a common fault for clio MK2.

Ahh
    Breakers yard is ur best bet
    At least they will be genuine parts
    And price the job with a good ind garage .
    You proably need spring clamps to do the job .
    So don't try it yourself unless u have them

thank you very much, working_f.

Can you please recommend a good indoor garage in North Dublin? I am not in the motoring business and don't have much repairing experience.

Have you tried ringing some Irish motorfactors to get the retail price on the springs here?

How something is priced in another country has no relevance to how much it costs to buy here with different vat rates, operatings costs etc.

Your best bet is buy the springs online and find someone who'll fit them for the amount your willing to spend.

Have you tried ringing some Irish motorfactors to get the retail price on the springs here?

How something is priced in another country has no relevance to how much it costs to buy here with different vat rates, operatings costs etc.

Your best bet is buy the springs online and find someone who'll fit them for the amount your willing to spend.
    Thank you very much!

I am trying this at the moment. It seems some independent garages are willing to fit them if I can get the parts. I find the parts available on MichsGarage.ie, ebay and amazon. idk if there are better places to look for.

• Advertisement

RichDING wrote: »
    thank you very much, working_f.

Can you please recommend a good indoor garage in North Dublin? I am not in the motoring business and don't have much repairing experience.

Sorry I ment an independent garage .
    Just ask their advice about it
    Or even the auto factors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ahh

Its about the simplest job you will ever do on a car. That and rear shocks.
    Never needed spring clamps for the back ones (yet)

Sorry I ment an independent garage .
    Just ask their advice about it
    Or even the auto factors
    Many thanks.

pred racer wrote: »
    Ahh

What did u use to hold the tension of the spring when you loosened the shock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

When I was changing mine, I didn't have to use anything as there was no tension anymore.

CiniO wrote: »

When I was changing mine, I didn't have to use anything as there was no tension anymore.

Fair enough
    I haven't changed springs in years
    From what I remember on older cars they could take your head off when you loosened the nut on the shock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Add enough weight in the boot, it's an old trick.

pred racer wrote: »

That's only on cars which have separate rear shocks and springs.

Advertisement