Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reduce Co2 to obtain lower tax rate

Options
  • 01-02-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi All, I know this is a strange one. I'm wondering is it possible to officially lower the Co2 of a vehicle even by ONE gram / Km. By tweaking HP or whatever, and have it certified by a Motor Engineer.

I'm ONE gram/km the wrong side of the band. Petrol engine 1.5l.

Any observations welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dont' they use the co values from the factory when deciding the tax, not your particular car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

Not sure if it's legally possible. Is the current figure a measurement or a stated value? If anything, it would be very difficult to match the g/km value which has been measure in a standardised test in optimum conditions.

Manufacturers do their utmost to get he figure down so that tax will be lower. In a technical sense, what you'd want to be doing is making the car more aerodynamic to reduce fuel consumption - and then emissions, but the test wouldn't actually be carried out at high speed.

Can't see it happening tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You cannot do that. The co2 as recorded by the manufacturer is obtained by following a certain procedure which I think takes in all types of driving and gives an agreed figure for that car. For that reason among others, only the figure recorded on your reg cert is used for tax purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

If you could do it how much money would you save per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Doesn't matter - the OP cannot do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Doesn't matter - the OP cannot do this.

I know that, just interested to see how much would be saved if it could be switched.

Advertisement