Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating boiler Vekora 14e lose pressure every two to three weeks

Options
  • 01-02-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello all,
    I appreciate any help or advise on this issue.
    My boiler (Vekora 14e) lose water pressure every two to three weeks. (filling loop is in water tank storage area on first floor)
    The boiler does not lose pressure when is off, e.g. when I was in holiday for few weeks there was no pressure loss at all, only lose small bit of water pressure after each time boiler turns on and goes off afterwards.
    So there should be no leakage via pipes, I have also checked all the pipes and connectors goes into boiler and radiators and there was absolutely no sign of leakage anywhere.
    I have also monitored the pressure valve for few days and no sign of any leakage.
    I am a light user which means boiler goes on maximum 1-2 hours daily, so perhaps was losing more pressure if I was heavy user.

I have read in other threads to check the air pressure on the expansion vessel. However it seems the air valve of the expansion vessel of my boiler is unreachable but I have fully monitored the water pressure when the system is on and it doesn't even pass the 1.5 bar to say it may open the pressure valve.

About few months ago I got boiler serviced and asked service man to check to see if there is any leakage in the system and he said couldn't find any. So I really don't know how I can get this problem fixed properly.

Any advise and suggestions are welcome.
    Can you also please tell me is re pressurising the boiler to 1 bar every two-three weeks going to harm boiler in general?

Can you suggest a well expert plumber or company who can find the cause and fix this issue permanently and covers Dublin 15 area?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

have a look at the pressure gauge when its on for an hour or two, does it approach 3bar? if so, take a look outside and see if the safety pipe is dripping.

If so, your expansion vessel needs charging, just book a service and the guy shouldn't charge any extra for this, as is part of a manufacturers recommended service (dont let them tell you otherwise)

PM me for people in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

or possible leak on the heating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 julius128

DGOBS wrote: »
    have a look at the pressure gauge when its on for an hour or two, does it approach 3bar? if so, take a look outside and see if the safety pipe is dripping.
    I never seen the pressure gauge hit more than 2 bar and safety pipe ever leaking.
    But can you please advise, if there is a low air pressure on the expansion vessel but never reach 3 bar to open the safety valve and release the water, can this low air pressure still cause the water pressure drop from somewhere?

Is it possible small water, leak through the safety pipe but never reach the end of it to be obvious (i.e. evaporate on is way) ? and is there a possibility that water pass the safety valve without water pressure ever reach 3 bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sparky28

Hi, I have a similar problem with a Vokera 14e. The water pressure in the system has dropped to .5 Bar and the rads dont seem to heat as well as they would normally. I had to get a new expansion vessel fitted a couple of months ago. I feel myself that the system needs to be topped up in order to bring the level up to 1.5 Bar but my problem is that I cant find the valve to open in order to top up the system. There are three valves around the emersion tank and they are all open. I imagine that the top up valve should be closed and only needs to be opened in order to top up the water pressure. Is ther anyone out there who would be familiar with the valve set up in houses in Littlepace Dublin 15? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

sparky28 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a similar problem with a Vokera 14e. The water pressure in the system has dropped to .5 Bar and the rads dont seem to heat as well as they would normally. I had to get a new expansion vessel fitted a couple of months ago. I feel myself that the system needs to be topped up in order to bring the level up to 1.5 Bar but my problem is that I cant find the valve to open in order to top up the system. There are three valves around the emersion tank and they are all open. I imagine that the top up valve should be closed and only needs to be opened in order to top up the water pressure. Is ther anyone out there who would be familiar with the valve set up in houses in Littlepace Dublin 15? Any advice would be appreciated.

It could be a semi sealed system , ie. you could have a 1/2" gate valve constantly open with a non return valve fitted below it and this supply taken off the main storage cistern in your attic , if this is the case your pressure is never going to get above 0.5bar , its a terrible way for a system to be connected as if you have a leak it will introduce fresh water into the heating system causing corrosion , also if the non return valve fails it can allow the water from the heating system back up into the storage cistern to mix with your domestic cold water .
    If this is how yours is fitted i would suggest you get the supply changed over to a mains fed filler loop .
    Perhaps post some pics up of your hotpress and ill be able to confirm if this is the case .

• Advertisement

Hi Sullzz. Thanks for the info. I'll post a few pics later today.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

But the OP said they were loosing pressure, and topping up, so doesnt sound like a semi-sealed system, unless it is and they are leaving it closed (most ss I have came across didn't van have n isolation valve!

If you system is semi sealed and valve is left open, you would never notice a pressure loss, if sealed and not leaking at safety vent pipe, there is either a leak on pipe work, or possibly a pinhole leak in you DHW cylinder coil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

We had the same problem for 5 years got it fixed last year we had a separate expansion vessel fitted. We had a gas leak under the floor and now our heat exchanger is knackered.

sullzz wrote: »
    Perhaps post some pics up of your hotpress and ill be able to confirm if this is the case .

Hi Folks. I have attached a couple of pics of the set up at the hot press tank. These three valves are open which means they are not the top up valves. I found two gate valves comming off the tank in the attic and they are also open. I reckon they are feeding the bathrooms. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

In the first picture the top up valve is the small valve near the floor. The system you have is a semi-sealed system and you wont have anymore then 0.5bar cold in the system anyway. I changed a boiler last year in that estate and had fierce problems with airlocks when I was filling back up. I ended up sealing it with the mains and putting a proper filling loop on it.

When I was flushing it the system water was very dirty with a lot of solids in it.

• Advertisement

JohnnieK wrote: »
    In the first picture the top up valve is the small valve near the floor. The system you have is a semi-sealed system and you wont have anymore then 0.5bar cold in the system anyway. I changed a boiler last year in that estate and had fierce problems with airlocks when I was filling back up. I ended up sealing it with the mains and putting a proper filling loop on it.

When I was flushing it the system water was very dirty with a lot of solids in it.

Well you can imagine what way the system is piped when you see an mt cock fitted on acorn pipe as a vent . semi sealed systems are a disaster .

DGOBS wrote: »
    But the OP said they were loosing pressure, and topping up, so doesnt sound like a semi-sealed system, unless it is and they are leaving it closed (most ss I have came across didn't van have n isolation valve!
    Sounded exactly like a semi sealed system to me :D
    ive never really come across too many semi sealed systems that
    didnt have a valve

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably have to get the system looked at by a Pro. Cheers.

Advertisement